AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cables, Plug/Jack and connectors

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jdifazio
1670 Views, 4 Replies

Cables, Plug/Jack and connectors

I have inserted multiple plug/jacks on my electrical schematics which represents a cable assembly with connectors from one panel to another.  This is pretty much standard in most electrical drawings.  Now, I have two problems:

1.  I need to add panel footprint connectors to my panels but I would to link them to the schematics.  They are harting style so there is a base (common to all panels) and an insert in each panel.  The insert will be dfferent in each panel as one panel will have a male and the other will have a female.  What is the best way to accomplish this?

2.  I need to show a cable schedule which shows the connectors, housing, fittings and cable details.  Again I want to link them to the schematics.  What is the best way to accomplish this.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: jdifazio

First off, you need to assign the correct part numbers to the schematic versions of the plug and jack.

Method 1

Next you manually insert the correct footprint for the panel. In the dialog box under Component Tag, select project and find the Plug or Jack that this particular footprint is representing. Click on it and all the appropriate cat data and similar will be used to populate the dialog box. This will link the footprint to the schematic.

Method 2

Use the 'Insert Footprint from Schematic List' tool. Select the schematics to do with the panel you are working on to retrieve the tag information. Choose the Plug or Jack you wish to insert. If the footprint database is set up for that component, it will go to the insertion pahse, otherwise it will ask you to defiine the block or location for it to use.

NOTE: With this method, it is recommenden to check the selection boxes for 'Mark Existing' and 'Hide Existing' to remove components that have already been inserted. This just leaves the components that you have remaining for insert.

As for the Cable schedule, check the various reports available under the projects menu. One of them may be what you are looking for or could be adapted to what you require.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
jdifazio
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

Maybe I am not explaing it well enough.  The plug/jack component represents multiple items.  But these components are located in different locations.  For example, assy pj123 has a male insert with panel housing on jb1, afemale insert with panel housing on jb2 and the cable assy in the field which consists of male and female inserts, cord grips and housings.  So when I create a BOM and panel for jb1, all of the parts would show instead of only the ones I need.  Does this make sense?

Thanks, Jay

Message 4 of 5
Icemanau
in reply to: jdifazio

OK , that makes sense. I would assume that you have set up the catalog with the sub components to reflect this when you insert the schematic block side of things.

I would suggest that you look at the Peer-To-Peer function for the plug/jack on the second panel. This may allow you to show the footprints and have it all tie together properly. I've not used the Peer-To-Peer function all that much and don't know all the in's and out's of it especially in regards to footprints.

One suggestion is to have the Plug and Jack with the loom based on one component and the Jack to go into the second panel as another component. Then tie them together using the Peer-to-Peer function. That way, whichever way you insert the components you have the complete set always tied to one type of block.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
jdifazio
in reply to: Icemanau

thanks for the tips.  I will look into the peer to peer function and let you know how it works out.

Jay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost