AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CATALOG DATA AND MULTIPLE CATALOG NUMBERS

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
acade2012
6979 Views, 22 Replies

CATALOG DATA AND MULTIPLE CATALOG NUMBERS

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to add multiple catalog numbers when inserting a component. I know i can add them manually but is there a way to add them when I do a catalog look up.

In the end I am looking for the BOM on the panel layout to include all the necessary parts i need

I am trying to load a disconnect that has 3 parts

1) disconnect (ab part # 1494V-DS200)

2) fuse clip (AB part # 1401-N45)

3) Lug kit (AB Part # 1494R-N3)

Any insite into this would be greatly appreaciated

Thanks

Dennis

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Icemanau
in reply to: acade2012

Edit the catalog listing for the main component that you will be looking up.

In the edit dialog box there should be TWO boxes. One will be marked ASSEMBLYCODE and the second will be marked ASSEMBLYLIST.

In the Assemblycode box, insert a code of your choice and click on OK.

Now edit the secondry component listing and place the same code in the Assemblylist box and click OK. NOTE this code must be an EXACT match to the one in the Assemblycode box.

Repeat this for each additional secondry component required.

You can also use this code in another main component and it will call these same secondry components. This means that if you have 5 Disconnectors with different ratings/handles, that use the same secondry components then all you need is the one code and each will add those same components when you add them to the dwg.

Finally, if your components already have the main catalog loaded, you will need to use the command to force an update to your components catalog information. If you have added the secondry components via the manual Multiple Catalog information, you will need to remove this...

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 23
acade2012

Thanks for your relply but I am miising something.

Here are the steps i THINK i need to do

1) Insert compoment (3 phase disconnect) on schematic

2) under catalog data pick lookup

3) Find part # (1494V-DS200)

4) edit part (under assemblycode) (123)

5) hit OK

6) while still in the parts catalog find 2nd parts(1401-N45)

7) Edit part (under assemblylist) (123)

😎 click OK

9) do same for next parts as needed

so now in the catalog i have the following

catalog                 mfg                 descr                   assemblycode                       assemblylist

1494V-DS200       AB                  BLAH                          123

1401-N45              AB                  BLAH                                                                       123

1494R-N3             AB                   BLAH                                                                      123

Would this be correct???

It doesn't seem to work

When I ballon the part in the layout it only comes back as 1 part... the 1494V-DS200

I have tried restarting ACADE  with no luck. the parts are still in the catalog.

Thanks

Dennis

Message 4 of 23
acade2012

My bad!!!

Your description work like I asked (careful of what you ask for you might just get it)

Now the issue is how can i make it so when I balloon the panel layout it shows seperate balloons for each part?

is this possible without putting in each part under the multiple catalog numbers button?

Thanks again for your help

Message 5 of 23
testsubject

Dennis,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but that is not possible.

From the ACE Help.

Item numbers cannot be assigned to part numbers based on ASSYCODE combinations.

I use the Multiple Catalog button to add sub parts to a main part.

The way to do this automatically requires a little bit of work, but when set up, it goes very smoothly.

You will need to add the appropriate attributes for the Multiple part CAT and MFG data to each symbol that you want to insert.

Each of these values match up with the Multiple list pulldown: MFG01, CAT01 for Part 1, MFG02, CAT02 for part 2, etc…

Then you have to go into the database and add the appropriate info to the TEXTVALUE Field.

This is what I have entered for my 3-level terminal block.

MFG01=WAGO;CAT01=2002-131;MFG02=WAGO;CAT02=793-5501;CNT02=3

After all this is done, when you do a catalog lookup, the multiple catalog information will be automatically inserted. I discovered that it does not show up right away. You have to close the dialog box first and then choose Edit again to see the updated Multiple Catalog info.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 6 of 23
acade2012
in reply to: testsubject

Bob,

Thanks for the help.

This will work good for our application.

It is a bit to setup as you stated but will pay off in the end.

Thanks again for your help

Message 7 of 23
dougmcalexander

I like to embed subassembly parts in my footprint symbols. Just add attributes named MFG01 and CAT01, MFG02 and CAT02, MFG03 and CAT 03, etc. Fill their default value with manufacturer name and catalog number respectively. The BOM generator will detect them automatically. If you have the project properties set to assign item numbers on a per part basis the item number resequence utility can assign a unique item number to each subassembly part. These parts will appear as Multiple Catalog entries when you Edit the footprint, just as if you had looked them up one at a time.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 23

I added the MFG01 and CAT01 attrribute but the BOM generator/Catalog Check is NOT detecting it automatically as you said.

I've been trying and emailing but no luck....I will appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Message 9 of 23
algerj

Hi Justin,

I didn't read the rest of the other posts so this may have already been mentioned.

Try adding the MFG01 and CAT01 to the WDA (user attibtues) file so it is availble in the reports.

Regards,

James Alger

Message 10 of 23
dougmcalexander

Be sure the values you enter into those two attributes exactly match entries in the catalog database table. Spaces, commas, etc. matter. You can Edit the footprint and click Multiple Catalog to verify that the attributes work. If there are values displayed in the fields all is good. If not, the software resorts to using xdata to create the Multiple Catalog entries, this your attributes were not detected. That would be unusual, as long as you named them correctly.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 11 of 23
Justin2012
in reply to: algerj

James,

If I create the WDA and click the Catalog Check will it show everything? Thx

Message 12 of 23
algerj
in reply to: Justin2012

Hi Justin,

As far as I know, It will not show up in  the "catalog check", It will only show up in reports.

Regards,

James Alger

Message 13 of 23

Yes, the values exactly matches what I have in the secondary database.

When I click on Multiple Catalog I can see the NFG & CAT attribute BUT when I click on catalog check only the MFG & CAT DESCRIPTION FIELD IS FILLED. THE MFG01 & CAT01 etc DESCRIPTION FIELD is empty.

Please advise what I am doing wrong here.Thanks 

Message 14 of 23
Justin2012
in reply to: algerj

Creating a WDA file will populate a MFG and MFG01 field in the report which I don't want.

I thought this was easy but I guess wrong or maybe this software does not have that capablity.

Thanks

Message 15 of 23
dougmcalexander

Justin, a wda file allows you to make custom attributes available to be added to a report when you create a custom report format. The MFG01 CAT01 etc. attributes are not custom. They ate simply a method for preloading multiple catalog entries without having to click on Multiple Catalog every time. Try adding the components via Multiple Catalog and you should see them in reports and even when you do a catalog check. The MFG01, CAT01, MFG02, CAT02, etc. attributes simply allow you to preload the parts so you don't have to enter them via Multiple Catalog. You add the attributes to the footprint and when you generate a panel BOM they are included below their associated master component.

Doug McAlexander

Message 16 of 23

Justin,

If you can, can you post one of the footprint symbols that you are trying to add the Multiple catalog values to?

If the MFG## and CAT## attributes have something in themas default values and the values exist in your default. mdb, then they should show up when you click on Catalog check from within the Multiple Bill of Material Information Dialog Box.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 17 of 23

Justin, you mentioned using a secondary catalog. Is the master component from the primary library and you are selecting multiple catalog entries from the secondary? Also, are the multiple catalog entries from a different table than the master part? I just tested all scenarios with version 2014 and all is well. I added a multiple catalog entry from a different table in the secondary catalog. I do recall issues in past releases with subassemblies created from part numbers in different tables.

Doug McAlexander

Message 18 of 23

When I insert components by clicking on the the mulitple catalog I can see everything from Catalog Check.

These components(in this case) are in the secondary catalog only.

I created a block, added the MFG01 & CAT01 attributes with their respective default values. I check the secondary catalog database and the values exact. When I insert the block I get just the master component values.

Do I need to do anything with any database? I just can't get it to work.

Message 19 of 23

What version of Electrical are you using? Are you adding the attributes to a footprint? Are you running a Catalog Check at footprint level? If the attributes are in the footprint, the Catalog Check from the Edit Footprint dialog should show the multiple catalog entries. I've used this method many times in the past. I assign a part number to the schematic component master only; no Multiple Catalog entry at that point. When I insert the footprint from the schematic list the footprint lookup table directs the software to use the footprint I have preloaded with MFG01,CAT01, MFG02, CAT02, etc., up to MFG99 and CAT99. My panel BOM includes the master part number that transferred over from the schematic symbol's MFG and CAT attributes, but it also includes the Multiple Catalog parts that were preloaded in the footprint as MFG01, CAT01, etc.

Doug McAlexander

Message 20 of 23

I am using 2013 version. I am inserting the symbols from a QUICKPICK LIST. My QUICKPICK LIST has only the master data. I am adding attributes to the symbol. I click on the Catalog Check after I've inserted the symbol to my schematic. When I click on Multiple Catalog I can see the MFG01 & CAT01 info BUT THEIR PARTS LOOKUP TABLE IS BLANK. Is this how it is suppose to be? The QUICKPICK LIST has only the master part number. 

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost