AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a Panel Layout of a PLC

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
starlipernl
1525 Views, 5 Replies

Building a Panel Layout of a PLC

I am trying to draw an entire chassis for the SLC 500 with extra remote I/O that we have in one of our pieces of equipment.  I place the 1747-L40C which is the main base unit.  I then place the 1746-A2 which is the slot expansion.  When I try to place the input module 1746-IA16 inside of the 1746-A2 like it is physically mounted it will not autmatically connect.  Is there some way to do this?  I thought that the module would automatically fit into the slot expansion.  Instead it just sits there on top of the slot expansion with the expansion still showing in the background.

Thanks,

Nate

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CAD-ICE
in reply to: starlipernl

If you modify the panel footprint for the I/O module by using the command "wipe out" then when positoning the module above the rack, the module is no longer transparent and hides the rack underrneath the I/O module. Pretty neat command, right? Hope this helps you to accomplish your goal.

Regards, Gary 

Message 3 of 6
starlipernl
in reply to: CAD-ICE

So Acade does not allow for the automatic connection of objects like inventor does? Also, you said edit the I/O with wipeout but when I use wipeout I draw a box around the I/O and it just makes it disappear could you please explain the steps of the wipeout.
Thanks,
Nathan
Message 4 of 6
CAD-ICE

Hi again,

the wipeout command does as you mention wipe out everything the box covers like in your case it hides or makes your i/o module just dissapear. You must make sure that the wipe out box you create is put/sent to back by using the "draw order" command under the tools tab.

Regards, Gary

Message 5 of 6
rwydesk500

Right. It would probably not be like inventor, but you can sort of simulate that. As Gary stated you can use wipeout sent to back of 1746-IA16.

1) I would go one step further and modify component 1746-IA16, to actually include the wipeout (since it would most likely always be inserted on top of 1746-A2), making sure it is sent to back of all other geometry.

2) I've not used these parts specifically, but I would also give consideration to where the insertion point/base point of 1746-IA16 is located so it 'lands' on 1746-A2, where you want (eg. the insertion point of 1746-A2?). That way it always lands where you want it without much effort.

...Standard AutoCAD functionality

my 2 cents,

Regards,

Rick Yoerger

AutoCAD Electrical 2016
Message 6 of 6
afutterer

I do many drawings with all different plc's and can not afford the time to redo all of Autodesks blocks to include the wipeout functionallity.  I often just draw a wipeout square and place it in the drawing.  Somtimes the boundaries of the square are an issue.  Generally after I draw the square I will change the line type to dotted and change the linetype scale so it is very large.  This way I can have only a few dots show on the page rather than the whole frame of the wipeout.  However, if you are going to use the panel block you are inserting often, or have the time, what ry suggested with changing the block is definitely the right way to do it.  I always add the wipeout when I create new blocks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost