AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block won't update after changes?

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
huyvu90
19967 Views, 47 Replies

Block won't update after changes?

I have a block in my drawing where the description attribute is to the left of the block and now I want to move the description attribute to the bottom of the block instead.  I editted the block's dwg (was created with wblock) so that the description attribute is on the bottom of the block.  After editing the block's dwg file, I went back to the original drawing where the block resides but the description attribute is still to the left of block.  If I insert a new instance of the block, the description will be on the bottom of the block which is what I wanted.

What is the command to update the block so that the attribute moves to the bottom of the block?

Also when I'm in the block editor, where can I go to see the block's name?  Is the block's name the same as the dwg name that it resides in?

47 REPLIES 47
Message 21 of 48
huyvu90
in reply to: Icemanau

it somewhat worked.  It did shorten the din rail but it screwed up the mounting hole.  The command squished the din rail mounting holes together.  I'm guessing there's no way to correctly trim the din rail since it's block and that you have to reinsert the din rail to have the correct length.  Stretching/compressing is not the correct way to resize the din rail.

How do you do it?

Message 22 of 48
dougmcalexander
in reply to: huyvu90

Subassembly items can be added using the Assembly Code method or by clicking Multiple Catalog and adding them via Catalog Lookup. The latter method allows each suassembly part to be assigned a unique item number, if your Project Properties are set accordingly.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 23 of 48
huyvu90
in reply to: dougmcalexander

huh?  r u replying to the wrong post? Man Happy  It's not related to the topic at all.

Message 24 of 48
dougmcalexander

I was viewing from my Backberry and thought I was on the last page.  I was at the bottom of page 1.  So I answered your question at the bottom of page 1.  Sorry.  I guess I should not try to answer from my Blackberry, but wait instead until I am back at the hotel at night.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 25 of 48
huyvu90

Regarding the enclosure, is what I did below to represent the different sides of the enclosure a good practice?  I  dew all the different sides of my enclosure (left, right, top, bottom and the panel inside) and converted them into a single block.   I then inserted my enclosure drawing as block and then proceeded to place my electrical components on top of it.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to deal with enclosure

Usually there are many ways to do something but only 1 or 2 ways are correct and efficient 🙂

Untitled.gif

Message 26 of 48
Icemanau

I have done something similar but I have them as seperate blocks, not lumped together as one.

All our panels are standard sizes to match our HV Switchgear, so we don't usually provide the alternate views. The ones we use the most is the door panel and gear plates. We normally use three dwgs for our layouts, Door, Rear Gearplate and Right/Left Gearplates.

Our Right/Left Gearplates are usually used just for terminal connections to bus wiring (Left) and external wiring (Right).

One thing to remember is to make sure ANY footprints you design also has a Wipeout outline added to it. ACADE can inset the din rail and cable ducts as a parametric block (same as the PLC's) showing mounting points, and the wipeout will make the footpriint appear as it should look when it is constructed, rather than having the din rail show through the footprint.

See the attached dwgs to see what I mean about the parametric din rail and cable duct. Note that on one of the rows I have brought the din rail to the front to show what objects would look like without the wipeout as shown on the other rows. The two boxes that refer to other dwgs are terminal strips of which I only included 1 to show how we deal with readability issues. Everything is sized to fit on A3 paper with the Gearplate layout normally having a single paperspace title block with the one viewport.

Regards Brad

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 27 of 48
huyvu90

If the sides of your enclosure are in different block/dwg, then how do you organize those dwgs to make sure you know they are part of a single enclosure? 

I think it's good to have the enclosure sides in different dwgs/block because I often don't need to show all sides of an enclosure.  The difficulty in breaking up the enclosure sides into different block/dwg is that I don't know how to organize them so that I can tell they are all part of a single enclosure.

Message 28 of 48
Icemanau

We don't show the enclosure, only the gear plates and the door. There are 3 gear plates in our main control cubicle, left, centre and rear.

As we only provide 4 or 5 different products, the cabinets and gear plates themselves don't change unless there is a design update. Our control systems on the other hand are designed to suit the client.

Regards Brad

Message 29 of 48
Automatoes

I'm trying to use a Parametric PLC block, but I'm having trouble with its Scale, the numbers and connector are being too small, I've already change the scale when I'm creating it, but it seems get aplyed only at the border, and I'm not selecting the Aply only at the border option.

PLCACAD.png

Best regards,

Automatoes

Automação (do latim Automatus) mover-se por si!
Message 30 of 48
huyvu90
in reply to: Automatoes

In the PLC parametric selection dialog box, there's a "Apply to PLC border only" checkbox.  Did you happen to check that box?

Message 31 of 48
huyvu90
in reply to: dougmcalexander

What is the correct way to create extra power distrubution terminal block of the same number?

In the image below, the TB "1N1" is suppose to be the neutral connection for M1, LT1, CR1 and CR2.  You can see that having one TB "1N1" is not enough to wire the netrual of M1, LT1, CR1 and CR2.  I try to stick to the 2 wires max per terminal rule.

I guess I can just insert another 1N1 TB in series with the existing 1N1 TB and this will cause the terminal strip editor to show two 1N1 TB instead of one.  I'm not sure if this is a good practice though.  What is the correct way to do this?

1.gif

Message 32 of 48
Icemanau

There are several ways to do this....

It all depends on how you want you equipment wired. If you only want one wire per connection point, you will need a number of terminals with a jumper bar connecting them

If however, you daisy-chain your equipment (as shown in your pic) you would likely only need the one terminal.

We use two terminals linked together for our incoming power terminals utilizing the same identification number number. We insert the first one and then the next 1 close by with the same number. The second terminal is then connected with a wire on the JUMPER layer and the strip id and number attributes hidden. The next step is to right click on one of the two terminals, goto the terminals flyout (under the attributes flyout) and select the Edit Jumper command. The two terminals are joind using this function which allows wire numbers to be passed from one to the other easily.

Regards Brad

Message 33 of 48
huyvu90

The wire on the JUMPER layer is just for visual reference?  The jumper wire is there to show that the two terminals are jumped together right but the thing that actually connect the two terminals together is the jumper function?

Message 34 of 48
dougmcalexander

You can connect terminals together with a wire type named JUMPERBAR and that's all you need to complete the logic.  You will not need the invisible jumper if you do this.  The wire number will carry over from terminal to terminal and you can insert a wire color/gauge label to indicate that the connection between terminals is a JUMPERBAR.  The From/To list generator will ignore JUMPERBAR.  There is a video about this on my web site at www.ecadconsultant.com.

Doug McAlexander

Message 35 of 48
huyvu90

Message 36 of 48
huyvu90

Great video. Top notch ****! :p.
Message 37 of 48
huyvu90

Why does autocad electrical have panel BOM report and schematic BOM report? I did a panel BOM report because it lists all components in my schematic + components that are not in the schematic such as the enclosure, din rail and wire trout. I don't see the point in doing a schematic BOM report because it doesn't list all components.
Message 38 of 48
huyvu90

regarding your last post about jumper, wouldn't it be better to also use invisible jumper (by using jumper edit command) so that the jumper gets listed in the BOM report? If you just use wire type JUMPERBAR to jumper the TBs together, the jumper that you will use during panel assembly will not be listed in the BOM report and this might cause problem when ordering parts.
Message 39 of 48
dougmcalexander

I insert an actual jumper bar footprint over my terminals after I insert with Terminal Strip Editor. I even have the MFG and CAT pre-filled so I don't have to perform a Lookup. Ask anyone who has ever attended one of my classes. This is how I teach it. It is covered on the Tips and Tricks page of my Web site under the menu item entitled,

"Using AutoCAD® Electrical to create a power bus from terminal blocks".

The panel BOM picks up all parts, those that were inserted from the schematic list and all additional hardware added on the panel layout. My drawings include every screw, washer, warning label, DIN rail, wireway, etc., that is required to assemble the panel. 

Doug McAlexander

Message 40 of 48
JHartmanTC8EM

blocks won't update after editing. I saw the comment about using the conversion toolbar. Where is the conversion toolbar located?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost