AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block won't update after changes?

47 REPLIES 47
SOLVED
Message 1 of 48
huyvu90
19989 Views, 47 Replies

Block won't update after changes?

I have a block in my drawing where the description attribute is to the left of the block and now I want to move the description attribute to the bottom of the block instead.  I editted the block's dwg (was created with wblock) so that the description attribute is on the bottom of the block.  After editing the block's dwg file, I went back to the original drawing where the block resides but the description attribute is still to the left of block.  If I insert a new instance of the block, the description will be on the bottom of the block which is what I wanted.

What is the command to update the block so that the attribute moves to the bottom of the block?

Also when I'm in the block editor, where can I go to see the block's name?  Is the block's name the same as the dwg name that it resides in?

47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
Icemanau
in reply to: huyvu90

OK... In the Conversion Tools toolabr, the last icon is the Swap/Update Block one. Run that and select Update in the second section. make sure the option to keep old attribute positions is NOT checked and then select your block. This will remove and then redefine your block.

You may have to do some directory diggin to get your new block if ACADE has trouble finding it.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman
AutoCAD Electrical User and IT Hardware Support

Message 3 of 48
huyvu90
in reply to: Icemanau

thanks a lot! that works well!Man Very Happy

Can the block's name be different from the dwg that it resides in?  Where in the dwg can I get the name of block?

Message 4 of 48
Icemanau

If the block is inerted, it will have a definite name for the block and this will be the actual file name of the block. This has to be different from the file name of the drawing that the block is inserted into or you will have lots of problems accessing the drawing.

If you want to get the name of a block that is already inserted into a dwg, select the block by itself and look at the properties for it. In the Miscellaneous section of the properties, the first item is the name of the block.

Regards Brad

Message 5 of 48
huyvu90

I have been experimenting with blocks in my drawing and I can't delete block entries in symbol builder. 

For example, I created a block and used wblock command to create a dwg file named "block1.dwg".   When I click on symbol builder in the schematic ribbon and then click on the drop down menu "name," I can see an entry for block1.

Now I want to delete "block1" so I deleted block1.dwg.  The problem that I'm having is that there is still an entry for "block1" in symbol builder's name drop down menu even though I deleted the block1.dwg.

There are some block entries in symbol builder with no associated dwg file but I can still insert them.  The block definition must be in the drawing somewhere.  How do I delete these block entries?

Message 6 of 48
dougmcalexander

Are they still there even after you purge the drawing of unused blocks?

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 7 of 48
huyvu90

problem solved.  I used the purge command.

Message 8 of 48
huyvu90

When I insert terminal block "HT0W01" on to a wire, why does autocad renumered the wire coming out of the tb?  From my understanding tb HT0W01 is not suppose to force a new number to generate.

Here's what the help file says about  HT0W01 (square tb with # on top):

Terminals that take on a terminal number that matches the wire number passing through or connected to the terminal.

From my understanding, if I place HT0W01 on a wire numbered 4, HT0W01 is suppose to name itself "4" and the wire comming out of the other end should also be "4"

Message 9 of 48
dougmcalexander

Do you have your Project Properties set to insert wire numbers on a "per wire" basis?  If so, this over-rules the "0" in the terminal symbol name.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 10 of 48
huyvu90
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks that solved the problem.

When I insert a CR, how do I automatically tell autocad to also insert a CR holder?  I noticed that in the BOM, there's no mentioning of a relay holder.

Message 11 of 48
Icemanau

First, insert a relay and the select catalogue lookup.

Find the relay you normally use and click on it to highlight the entry then click on the EDIT button.

Select the Main->subassembly checkbox and then put a code (I suggest the  part number of the base) into the Assemblycode box.

You can have multiple parts in this box seperated by a SEMI colon (;) .

Close the edit box by clicking on OK.

Find the base part number and go into the edit screen for it. NOTE that if you can't find the base part number, try de-selecting the Symbol Name Filtering. (anything that is set to be a sub component is normally hidden from view

Select the Sub-Assembly box and put the same part number in to the Assemblylist box.

Exit out and reselect the relay. On the right hand side under the Web-View button there should be a piece of text saying MAIN->sub followed by some part part number. This indicates any sub components used for the item.

Any component that has a code in the Assemblycode box will automatically add any components that have the same code in the Assemblylist box. More than one component can call the same sub component which makes it easier. For example, you could have several different relays with different coil voltages, all using the same base, securing clip and label.

An easy way to set this up is to have CODE1 in the Assembly code box of the relay and CODE1 in the Assemblylist boxes of the base, Securing clip and label.

Another way is to have CODE1; CODE2; CODE3 in the Assemblycode box and have CODE1 in the base Assemblylist, CODE2 in the Securing clip Assemblylist box and CODE3 in the Labels Assemblylist box.

This will work on all the components so I would reccomend setting this up on your commonly used components as you come across them. It only has to be done once and will not need to be done again unless you upgrade or have to change part numbers.

Regards Brad

Message 12 of 48
huyvu90

I'm having trouble finding the base part number in the "Parts Catalog" dialog.   How do you disable "Symbol Name Filtering?"  Do you mean by clicking on the little funnel icon with the red x that is located on the upper left of the "Part Catalog" dialog box?  By convention, what table in the catalog database should the base by in?

It's also possible that I can't find the base PN because don't have it in the default_cat.mdb.  I just want to make sure that I disable filtering correctly.

Message 13 of 48
Icemanau

I haven't seen the new look Lookup Table as I'm stuck using 2008. That said, try hovering your mouse pointer over the funnel icon. If it is the Symbol Name Filtering, then yes try clicking on it.

The 2008 version has 3 checkboxes undernearth the part number list. the third checkbox is the one for the Symbol Name Filtering.

The base itself should be in the same table as the relay. If you know the part number, try clicking the Other button and typing it into the bottom box with the find button next to it. This will perform a search for that part number.

The base may also be listed in the Accessory section of the CR table or one of the other sections.

You can also select the first item in the component list and start typing the base part number. If it is available and not blocked the the symbol filtering, the selection will move th what you start typing.

It may also be that the base itself is missing from the database, especially if you inserted the relay itself. If the relay was in the database OOTB, it is possible that there has been a catalogue number change or a different base was suggested to the people who typed in the database.

Regards Brad

Message 14 of 48
huyvu90

I don't think the relay base is in the catalog. I cleared all filters and browsed through the CR table but couldn't find a relay base.

If I were to add a relay base PN entry to the catalog mdb file, is it a pratice to add it to the CR table?  Pretty much anything related to relay such as holding clips should be added to the CR table?

Message 15 of 48
Icemanau

Before you go adding anything, did you check under the type drop down for ACCESSORY or BASE listings? Did you select ALL for the type and coil. Sometimes they are hiding in different areas of the manufacturer in the same table.

Always add the subcomponents to the same table as the main component. It makes it easier to find. To make them easier to find, make the type as either BASE or ACCESSORY. then when you are looking in that manufacturer later, they have their own type.

Regards Brad

Message 16 of 48
dougmcalexander

Version 2011 has the check box in almost the same location as previous versions, at lower left.  See the attached screen capture of a page from my What's New Tutorial for version 2011, which shows the position.

Doug McAlexander

Message 17 of 48
huyvu90

I don't think there's a catalog # for the base in my CR table. 

There is a "Display subassembly entries only for editing"  check box in the parts catalog dialog.  I checked it but nothing came up.  I went ahead and added a record for a relay base to the CR table.  I set the type field to accessories.

Thanks!

Message 18 of 48
huyvu90

What is the correct way to show a connection between two component via DB25 serial cable?  Am I doing it correctly?

Untitled.png

Message 19 of 48
huyvu90

Is there away to trim excess din rail?  I couldn't find a way to do it so I had to reinsert one of appropriate length.

Message 20 of 48
Icemanau

Under Component->Component Miscellaneous, there is the Stretch PLC Module function. Ideally it should be renamed Stretch Block as it will stretch any block it is used on.

Give this command a try and see how it works for you.

Regards Brad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost