AutoCAD Electrical General

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 11 of 39 (520 Views)

Re: Block won't update after changes?

04-17-2011 09:46 PM in reply to: huyvu90

First, insert a relay and the select catalogue lookup.

Find the relay you normally use and click on it to highlight the entry then click on the EDIT button.

Select the Main->subassembly checkbox and then put a code (I suggest the  part number of the base) into the Assemblycode box.

You can have multiple parts in this box seperated by a SEMI colon (:smileywink: .

Close the edit box by clicking on OK.

Find the base part number and go into the edit screen for it. NOTE that if you can't find the base part number, try de-selecting the Symbol Name Filtering. (anything that is set to be a sub component is normally hidden from view

Select the Sub-Assembly box and put the same part number in to the Assemblylist box.

Exit out and reselect the relay. On the right hand side under the Web-View button there should be a piece of text saying MAIN->sub followed by some part part number. This indicates any sub components used for the item.

Any component that has a code in the Assemblycode box will automatically add any components that have the same code in the Assemblylist box. More than one component can call the same sub component which makes it easier. For example, you could have several different relays with different coil voltages, all using the same base, securing clip and label.

An easy way to set this up is to have CODE1 in the Assembly code box of the relay and CODE1 in the Assemblylist boxes of the base, Securing clip and label.

Another way is to have CODE1; CODE2; CODE3 in the Assemblycode box and have CODE1 in the base Assemblylist, CODE2 in the Securing clip Assemblylist box and CODE3 in the Labels Assemblylist box.

This will work on all the components so I would reccomend setting this up on your commonly used components as you come across them. It only has to be done once and will not need to be done again unless you upgrade or have to change part numbers.

Regards Brad

Icemanau (NNTP handle: Brad Coleman)

Active Contributor
huyvu90
Message 12 of 39 (511 Views)

04-18-2011 11:49 AM in reply to: Icemanau

I'm having trouble finding the base part number in the "Parts Catalog" dialog.   How do you disable "Symbol Name Filtering?"  Do you mean by clicking on the little funnel icon with the red x that is located on the upper left of the "Part Catalog" dialog box?  By convention, what table in the catalog database should the base by in?

It's also possible that I can't find the base PN because don't have it in the default_cat.mdb.  I just want to make sure that I disable filtering correctly.

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 13 of 39 (504 Views)

04-18-2011 03:16 PM in reply to: huyvu90

I haven't seen the new look Lookup Table as I'm stuck using 2008. That said, try hovering your mouse pointer over the funnel icon. If it is the Symbol Name Filtering, then yes try clicking on it.

The 2008 version has 3 checkboxes undernearth the part number list. the third checkbox is the one for the Symbol Name Filtering.

The base itself should be in the same table as the relay. If you know the part number, try clicking the Other button and typing it into the bottom box with the find button next to it. This will perform a search for that part number.

The base may also be listed in the Accessory section of the CR table or one of the other sections.

You can also select the first item in the component list and start typing the base part number. If it is available and not blocked the the symbol filtering, the selection will move th what you start typing.

It may also be that the base itself is missing from the database, especially if you inserted the relay itself. If the relay was in the database OOTB, it is possible that there has been a catalogue number change or a different base was suggested to the people who typed in the database.

Regards Brad

Active Contributor
huyvu90
Message 14 of 39 (498 Views)

04-18-2011 05:19 PM in reply to: Icemanau

I don't think the relay base is in the catalog. I cleared all filters and browsed through the CR table but couldn't find a relay base.

If I were to add a relay base PN entry to the catalog mdb file, is it a pratice to add it to the CR table?  Pretty much anything related to relay such as holding clips should be added to the CR table?

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 15 of 39 (495 Views)

04-18-2011 05:41 PM in reply to: huyvu90

Before you go adding anything, did you check under the type drop down for ACCESSORY or BASE listings? Did you select ALL for the type and coil. Sometimes they are hiding in different areas of the manufacturer in the same table.

Always add the subcomponents to the same table as the main component. It makes it easier to find. To make them easier to find, make the type as either BASE or ACCESSORY. then when you are looking in that manufacturer later, they have their own type.

Regards Brad

*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 16 of 39 (491 Views)

04-18-2011 06:15 PM in reply to: huyvu90

Version 2011 has the check box in almost the same location as previous versions, at lower left.  See the attached screen capture of a page from my What's New Tutorial for version 2011, which shows the position.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.
Active Contributor
huyvu90
Message 17 of 39 (474 Views)

04-20-2011 03:35 PM in reply to: Icemanau

I don't think there's a catalog # for the base in my CR table. 

There is a "Display subassembly entries only for editing"  check box in the parts catalog dialog.  I checked it but nothing came up.  I went ahead and added a record for a relay base to the CR table.  I set the type field to accessories.

Thanks!

Active Contributor
huyvu90
Message 18 of 39 (469 Views)

04-20-2011 05:05 PM in reply to: Icemanau

What is the correct way to show a connection between two component via DB25 serial cable?  Am I doing it correctly?

Untitled.png

Active Contributor
huyvu90
Message 19 of 39 (455 Views)

04-25-2011 05:25 PM in reply to: huyvu90

Is there away to trim excess din rail?  I couldn't find a way to do it so I had to reinsert one of appropriate length.

*Expert Elite*
Icemanau
Message 20 of 39 (448 Views)

04-26-2011 07:03 PM in reply to: huyvu90

Under Component->Component Miscellaneous, there is the Stretch PLC Module function. Ideally it should be renamed Stretch Block as it will stretch any block it is used on.

Give this command a try and see how it works for you.

Regards Brad

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community