AutoCAD Electrical General

mearl
Message 1 of 4 (168 Views)

Best way to connect cables between schematics to produce cable schedules

168 Views, 3 Replies
05-05-2009 04:20 PM
Hi,

I'm a new user to AutoCad Electrical - in fact a newbie to generating schematics. In the drawing office I work in we design electrical substations with distributed control panels/equipment connected by multi-core and LV power cables.

Autocad Electrical seems great at generating terminal layouts. It is not clear to me how I can link the terminal strips from one schematic to another via cables.

Typically we create the individual schematics as seperate projects and they are not linked.

Does anybody have any ideas on how best to connect terminal strips via cables so as to generate cable schedules and if possible wire routes. How do you manage schematics in different projects aswell - perhaps I need to create a super-project with all schematics included.

Just some broad concepts would be appreciated at this stage if it is at all possible.
Contributor
mickey0601
Message 2 of 4 (168 Views)

Re: Best way to connect cables between schematics to produce cable schedules

05-12-2009 11:57 AM in reply to: mearl
We make one project and then use installation codes and location codes to tag all of the components. that way, afet you insert your cables in the drawing, you can do a schematic report using your location and installation codes to identify everything. It's a little combersome at first, but the longer you play with it, then you'll figure out what you need and don't need to but in the blocks to get them to work. The one thing Learned is, make everything a block and insert the attributes for location and installation. without them, it's hard to follow the cables.
mearl
Message 3 of 4 (168 Views)

05-21-2009 04:02 AM in reply to: mearl
Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look with the drafter when I get finished laying out the latest substation I'm working on.

Still sounds a little cumbersome but I'll see if I can give it a go. It's a shame Autocad Electrical hasn't worked out something more intuitive and simple. Within a day of looking at Autocad Electrical this for me was a "must have" item - what's going on in the Autocad development team?
*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 4 of 4 (168 Views)

05-21-2009 11:08 AM in reply to: mearl
AcadE already has the ability to document cables in the from/to list or a separate cable list. Use the cable marker symbols to designate the cable conductors. One you insert the first marker you are prompted to associate additional conductors into the same cable. You can even Lookup the part number when you insert the first marker and have it load the available colors for that particular cable. Of course you can type in the colors if you need. When you generate your from to list or cable list you can add the appropriate fields to show the cable tag, cable MFG, cable CAT, and individual colors within the cable. I have attached a screen shot as an example. Edited by: dougmcalexander on May 21, 2009 6:10 PM
Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community