AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to connect cables between schematics to produce cable schedules

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mearl
580 Views, 3 Replies

Best way to connect cables between schematics to produce cable schedules

Hi,

I'm a new user to AutoCad Electrical - in fact a newbie to generating schematics. In the drawing office I work in we design electrical substations with distributed control panels/equipment connected by multi-core and LV power cables.

Autocad Electrical seems great at generating terminal layouts. It is not clear to me how I can link the terminal strips from one schematic to another via cables.

Typically we create the individual schematics as seperate projects and they are not linked.

Does anybody have any ideas on how best to connect terminal strips via cables so as to generate cable schedules and if possible wire routes. How do you manage schematics in different projects aswell - perhaps I need to create a super-project with all schematics included.

Just some broad concepts would be appreciated at this stage if it is at all possible.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mickey0601
in reply to: mearl

We make one project and then use installation codes and location codes to tag all of the components. that way, afet you insert your cables in the drawing, you can do a schematic report using your location and installation codes to identify everything. It's a little combersome at first, but the longer you play with it, then you'll figure out what you need and don't need to but in the blocks to get them to work. The one thing Learned is, make everything a block and insert the attributes for location and installation. without them, it's hard to follow the cables.
Message 3 of 4
mearl

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look with the drafter when I get finished laying out the latest substation I'm working on.

Still sounds a little cumbersome but I'll see if I can give it a go. It's a shame Autocad Electrical hasn't worked out something more intuitive and simple. Within a day of looking at Autocad Electrical this for me was a "must have" item - what's going on in the Autocad development team?
Message 4 of 4
dougmcalexander

AcadE already has the ability to document cables in the from/to list or a separate cable list. Use the cable marker symbols to designate the cable conductors. One you insert the first marker you are prompted to associate additional conductors into the same cable. You can even Lookup the part number when you insert the first marker and have it load the available colors for that particular cable. Of course you can type in the colors if you need. When you generate your from to list or cable list you can add the appropriate fields to show the cable tag, cable MFG, cable CAT, and individual colors within the cable. I have attached a screen shot as an example. Edited by: dougmcalexander on May 21, 2009 6:10 PM

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost