AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base point won't change in block

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
huyvu90
1382 Views, 3 Replies

Base point won't change in block

I created and saved a block with the Wblock command but the base point was off when I try to insert the block into another drawing.  When I say off I mean really off.  I had to zoomed all the way out to see where autocad inserted the block.

To fix the problem, I opened up the dwg of the block and did a bedit command.  In the block editor, I centered the drawing over the origin because it is the base point (Am i righ about this?), save and closed the block editor. the pic below shows how the drawing is placed over the origin.

I insert the modified block again but the base point is still off by alot.

some help please?  The one problem that I repeatly encounter when using autocad electrical 2011 is make changes to things but the changes have no effect.

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Davidc1204
in reply to: huyvu90

If you have opened the saved Wblock dwg file you do should not use the bedit method, just type base and set the new base point. Arguably the best way is to select the whole block and use the move command, for the move command select the point you want to use as the insetion point as the move base point and move to 0,0

0,0 is the default insertion base point so this keeps things sort of consistant

Remember to purge any existing copies of the block from your drawings before inserting the block again.

Hope this helps

Cheers David

Message 3 of 4
testsubject

You are really close. The block already exists in your drawing and Autocad will use that one when inserting. That is why you do not see the change.

I would first go back to the original WBlocked dwg and explode and purge the whole drawing. Footprints should not have blocks embedded in them. Then move all the objects so that your basepoint is at 0,0 (origin). Save this.

Now go back to your panel drawing and use Swap/Update block and select Option B: Update Block. Select the footprint in the panel and select the part that matches this one (you might have to go to the actual folder the block is located in if it is not your filepaths.)

Click okay and the block will be updated with your new information. Keep in mind when you do this the part will most likely move to where the old basepoint was located.

That should fix it.

Edit: Beat me by 4 minutes David!

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 4 of 4
OP21

You can type INSBASE to validate where the insertion point is or should be (0,0,0) ....

Hope this helps!
Omar

P.S. If this did help you, remember to "Accept as Solution", so the answer can help others. "LIKES" are always welcomed and much appreciated! Thank-you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost