AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic catalog number change

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
278 Views, 3 Replies

Automatic catalog number change

Hello,
Due to a supplier no longer making a part I must change a part number on hundreds of existing drawings. The catalog number must be changed for the item, and in the BOM on the drawing. Is anyone aware of a way to do this automatically?

Thanks
Chad
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Peter_KSBE
in reply to: Anonymous

First step is to make sure the new part number is in the catalog database.

If these drawings are in one project this could go quick, but if it are several projects it could take some more time.

You have several options:
1) update with Access the project(s) scratch database and use the "Update from Project Scratch Database". Don't know if it will update the BOM on a drawing directly, don't think so.

2) write a script and use the "Project-Wide Utilities" to start it in a project

3) use the export to excel on components. Adjust your value and reimport it. Don't know if it will update the BOM on a drawing directly, don't think so.

4) modify this utility from Nate Holt to change the attributes you want it to change.
http://mfgcommunity.autodesk.com/blogs/blog/7/
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Peter_KSBE,
Thanks for your speedy reply!

I was slightly incorrect in using the term "drawings", its actually hundreds of projects that need to be updated.
I also just realized that the footprint on the panel layouts has to change also.

Again, thanks for your reply - I will look at the and see what works the best for me.

I see alot of references to "script files" in the groups - any idea where I can find our more about them?

Chad
Message 4 of 4
Peter_KSBE

Hi Chad,

Scripts are actually nothing else than plain autocad commands which will be run after each other.

Here below you can see an example for changing attributes:
-attedit
N
N
TAGSTRIP
VDC
Vdc
-attedit
N
N
RATING1
MA
mA

You need to make it with notepad and the extension is .SCR. In the help of autocad type "script" and there you also can find info. Also googeling arround can help you.

You can also open drawings with it, adjust, and save.
Most of the commands you will need to put an "-" in front to invoke command line execution.

Best practice is to open a drawing and stat ajusting it with the command line commands, note them down. Don't save the drawing, close it make the scr file and run the script to try.
If ok, then you can use it to open more drawings and adjust them. This means that for every drawing you must repeat all the commands in the script.
EXAMPLE:
open
c:\huppeldepup\test1.dwg
line
save
y
open
c:\huppeldepup\test2.dwg
line
save
y

If you google arround, think you can even find script generators, where you provide the script for one drawing, they can process it for the drawings you provide. (google for "autocad scripts batch")

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost