AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk, any chance of an Electrical Viewer?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1158 Views, 5 Replies

Autodesk, any chance of an Electrical Viewer?

Morning I have recently found the need for a drawing viewer. I know there are plenty of dwg viewers out there, but does anyone know of a specific one to ACE. Firstly, when we issue drawings to our customers it would help them to navigate through a project. Also, I would like the wiremen on the shop floor to have access to our schematics without having to buy more seats.
Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Autodesk offers a free viewer called DWGTruview which seems pretty good. I am unaware of a specific viewer for ACE, and don't really see the need, its just an AutoCAD drawing.

Chad
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Chad, the main reason is, file names have lost there relevance and don't follow a sequential pattern. The WDP file takes care of it all. We often canabilise other projects to make new ones, and move sheets around.
My ideal would be a viewer that can open the wdp file and have the same navigation functions that you get in ACE.
Message 4 of 6
lkirkup

Here is an idea that may work for now.
Using ACE publish the project to a multisheet DWF file with the project name.
Then use the Autodesk design review program to view and move through the project.
That way the guy on the shop floor can view all the drawings in the project with out going to look for them.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

One thing I've always found is that file names should always be meaningful. By this, I don't mean full text string names describing what the drawing is of, but instead each drawing name should be unique and of a consistent standard. For example, our company begins each drawing with a 7-digit alpha-numeric code representing the project it belongs to, then a 3-digit number identifying the drawing itself (eg 010 is always for 415v three-phase circuit schematics, while 001 is always the main HV single-line diagram, etc). This way anyone within the plant who needs to review drawings can easily identify the job and what the drawing is of quickly.

While you say that the WDP takes care of it all, it can be controlled easily to reflect any amount of meaning you want out of your drawing names. This can be done in three ways: 1 - when you create the drawing using the project manager in ACE, you specify the drawing name and the location; 2 - when drawings are already within the project manager, you can simply right-click on the drawings you want to change the name of and select "Rename", then refresh the project manager window; or 3 - rename the drawings using windows explorer, then open the WDP file in the text editor and change the file names there as well.

All three work well, but being careful about names when you create the drawing is always going to make things easier. If you are pinching drawings from other jobs and editing them, then it might be better to copy the drawing and rename in windows explorer before adding them to the project manager.
Message 6 of 6
pmccutcheon

YES, it would be nice to have a viewer that:
-could read the WDP file
-can surf or at least follow signal arrows
-easily go to next dwg

TrueView (I think) requires an "open" for each drawing, I don;t think it will skip to the enxt dwg in a folder (much less go to next dwg in a project WDP)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost