AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD electrical 2013 crashing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chrissmith82
670 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD electrical 2013 crashing

afternoon all

I having a lot of problems with my copy of acade 2013 crashing when I am trying to copy and paste in part of drawings from non acade 2013 drawings. One or two crashes I can accept, but this is into double figures for the day

I have trawled through the forum  looking for a resolution and have tried turning off the hardware acceleration, I have service pack 1 installed and not sure where to go from here

my laptop is running windows 7, 2.1GHz processor, 4gb RAM. I have also tried running it on a PC with similiar specs but with 8gb RAM and I am having the same problem

Smiley Mad

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
bholle
in reply to: chrissmith82

i have been experiencing the same issue to.  it was occuring when i was working on a project in 2013.  i would use copy with base point and then paste into another drawing.  it would crash when trying to paste or trying to select the orginal copy.

Message 3 of 7
algerj

Hi Chris,

I have a few questions: 

What are you trying to copy and paste in? (block, circuit, regular geometry?)

Are you using the 64bit or the 32 bit version?

What version is the file are copying from? (R14, 2000i, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2013?)

It could be that you are copying in a bad block.

Can you post the block (or circuit, or drawing in general) that you are having the issue with?

I can take a look at it to see if the block / drawing has issues (or you can run an audit on the problematic drawng which usually fixes those types of issues.)

Regards,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Message 4 of 7
chrissmith82
in reply to: algerj

Morning James

I am trying to paste blocks in. I am using the 64bit version. How would I see the version of the drawing I am copying from? I tried right clicking and looking at the properties but it gave no clues.

The company that provides our support suggested running AECLEANDWG on all the drawings, then save as a DXF and then resave as DWG. When I ran this there was something in every one of the drawings that it cleaned. This has reduced the amount of crashes I had, but I am still experiencing intermittent crashes

Message 5 of 7
algerj

Hi Chris,

Usually you know the file type that the client sends you, sometimes you can rely on the Creation date.

The most accurate way (which is a bit of a work around), is to open the file in notepad.

(there may be an easier way and if so please tell me!)

You have to change the default program that opens the Dwg.

Make sure when you are done opening the file in notepad, that you reset the default open back to AutoCAD.

(that way it stores notepad in the list of program used to open the file, but when you click on the file it doesn't default to it,)

The only part that we care about when we open the file in notepad is the first 6 characters.

Here are some examples (there are more of them):

AC0027    Saved in 2013 File Format

AC0024    Saved in 2010 File Format

AC0021    Saved in 2007 File Format

AC0018    Saved In 2004 File Format 

The file version is important to know. Certain Key issues with blocks or dwgs, only appear in files that are older then 2006 (aka file format 2004 and older)

If you are copying from an older format you could be copying over some of the issues (in some cases creating a memory leak that eats your available ram causing crashes.)

The best thing to do is save the file in your current file version, and run an audit on the DWG before copying and pasting. (so, 2010 file format for 2010-2012 AutoCad, and 2013 fie format for 2013)

You also may need to purge the dwg to remove empty textboxes, and zero length lines.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

James Alger

SolidCAD

Message 6 of 7
testsubject
in reply to: algerj

You can also tell by hitting F2 after opening the file. This will bring up the Autocad Text Window and this will display what format the file was saved in at the top of the window.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 7 of 7
algerj
in reply to: testsubject

LOL,

You know I completely forgot about that!

Thanks,

James Alger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost