AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 Migration to AutoCAD Electrical 2015

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
QSI_Tech
828 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 Migration to AutoCAD Electrical 2015

Hello All:

I am seeeking advise on the difficulty level of migrating my companies present electrical block library and schematics from AutoCAD Mechanical to AutoCAD Electrical. We have a very unique way of designing our plans and would like to retain the design. However, none of our blocks contain the hidden attribute goodies that come with the Block Library contained within AutoCAD Electrical.

Any ideas if this is worth trying to convert or should we retool and use AutoCAD electrical's Library Exclusively?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jalger
in reply to: QSI_Tech

Hi QSI_Tech,

I would suggest using the AutoCAD Electrical symbols.

However if you really want to you can authoring all of your custom symbols.

Open them in the Symbol Builder, and Place the required Attributes.

After that you have to save them using AutoCAD Electrical Naming Scheme to have the library work...

...Probably just eaiser to switch out your Symbols for ACADE Symbols.

This can be done with the Swap/update block command.

I can't tell you if its worth it or not, I can tell you if you have 50 custom symbols (that would be replacable with standard symbols) it might be ok to Author them in ACADE.

If you have 1000 custom Symbols for standard symbols, I would probably just use the IEC, JIC (NFPA), or IEEE, Libraries. 

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger
(I'm on several hundred posts as "algerj")

Work:
Dell Precision 5530 (Xeon E 2176M)
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro P2000, Win10
Message 3 of 13
QSI_Tech
in reply to: jalger

Thanks for the speedy response. The Symbol Builder was easy to use and seemed to be very customizeable. But, I'm thinking tthe swap command will be more ideal for all the I/O cards.

Message 4 of 13
dougmcalexander

James gave you great advice.  Another option that can be helpful is the Block Replacement utility, on the Conversion Tools tab of the ribbon.  (see attached image)  This utility compiles a spreadsheet of existing vanilla AutoCAD blocks coming from your drawings.  You can then edit the spreadsheet and, in the 2nd column, fill in the block name of the replacement symbol from AutoCAD Electrical.  Of course you need to know the block names of the AutoCAD Electrical symbols. The easy way to learn them is to hover your mouse over the menu icon for a specific symbol and wait for the block name to pop up. Just bear in mind that there are often two versions of each block, one for horizontal wire orientation (block name begins with H) and one for vertical (first letter V).  

The workflow I recommend is to first create your "smart" template for use with AutoCAD Electrical.  You layout your title block, add attributes, and use the Title Block Setup utility to map the attributes to their related Project Line Label fields and Drawing property fields.  Save this as a drawing and insert it into a blank drawing.  Now click Drawing Properties and set up your design rules/preferences.  Finally, add wire types.  Save this as a template. There is a 12-strep guide for this on the Tips/Tricks page of my web site.

Create an AutoCAD Electrical project and add a new drawing to it, using this new template.  Use the Copy with Base Point method to copy your old schematic wires and blocks (no title block) into the new drawing.  On the Conversion Tools tab you will find the option to convert lines to wires.  Do this first.  If your old drawing was a ladder diagram, there is also a utility to convert your dumb text line reference numbers to intelligent ones.  (see attached image)

The lines must be converted to actual wires before using Block Replacement, so the Block Replacement utility can trim or extend the wires to match the wire connections on the AutoCAD Electrical built-in symbols.  

There is also an optional utility that allows you to map old attribute values to those in the replacement blocks, in case you have attributes in your old blocks that are filled in with tag, part number, description, etc. (see attached image)

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 13
QSI_Tech
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Good information. I have been reading the information on your webiste. I am still in the research phase of using AutoCAD Electrical and there seems to be some huge differences between AutoCAD EC and Vanilla. I am particularly concerned with the learning curve involved with it as well as the determing the cost to implement.  From what I can tell AutoCAD EC is very similiar to Revit in terms of the way it manages projects and is very database dependent. Of course, the pro is that like Revit every thing is tied together and populates well to a BOM  but it seems that you have to almost forget your AutoCAD skills and learn a whole new set of commands. (I'm anti-ribbon and prefer keyboard short cuts Smiley Wink)

We are presently using AutoCAD ME for electrical design and are wanting to minimize errors and increase efficiencies by using an intelligent drafting program. AutoCAD EC seems to be that answer. I have about 5 years AutoCAD experience. Is four days enough time to master the differences of the two programs or would a more in depth training program be more effectual? 

We will need to migrate a block library (about 500+ pcs) and would preferably like to utilize and existing Excel BOM. That is we would like to be able export data directly from AutoCAD EC directly to our existing spreadsheets utilizing the existing parameters, is that possible?

We want to maintain our existing design look and feel. I noticed many of the blocks particulary the I/O PLC and FLEX mods in AutoCAD EC are very basic looking. We have a uniue design that our clients like. How customizeable is AutoCAD EC?

Our current I/O pcs do not contain any of the hidden attributes that are contained within AutoCAD EC parts and that seems to be an important part of the integrating features of AutoCAD EC, is it necessary? Or is it just and Addie?

I'll stop there .. I have alot of questions Smiley Happy as you can see. Like I said very much in the research stage still, thanks. 

Message 6 of 13
jalger

Hi QSItech,

I'll Try to Answer your Questions. And Its best to Forget certian commands when switching over (*DON"T USE DELETE*). If you draw lines they can be converted over, and instead of insert your using the Icon Menu (Which has all of the symbols).

Is four days enough time to master the differences of the two programs or would a more in depth training program be more effectual?

Master No. Learn yes. In a 4 day training course you get to see all of the tools, by the end of it most people leave with the ability to create their projects, manage their libraries and create custom symbols. I would recommend a 4 day course and they ask your reseller if they do Mentoring / Consulting, that way you can get some extra help when you need it. (more for the customization files, and vault setup.)

That is we would like to be able export data directly from AutoCAD EC directly to our existing spreadsheets utilizing the existing parameters, is that possible?

You might be able to link it, but then you would not be use ACADE the right way.

I would setup the Report to match what you have in your Spreadsheet. (Make sure you do this in a template project so only have to set it up once)

or you could setup a .set file (for Automatic Reports)

We have a uniue design that our clients like. How customizeable is AutoCAD EC?

Very customizable, you just need to know where / what to modify. in the case of the PLCs you can actual swap out the card for a pre drawn block. (just make sure you have authored the Connection points)

is it necessary? Or is it just and Addie? (The hidden Attributtes)

Very Necessary, if they are not there then AutoCAD Electrical cannot track the wire connection, MFG, Catalog number, etc.

Basically you would spend more money to use it a regular AutoCAD, if they are not there.

Just post if you have more questions, someone should be able to answer them 🙂

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 7 of 13
dougmcalexander

Again, James has advised you very well. Let AutoCAD Electrical be AutoCAD Electrical, so it can serve you at its most productive level. It is, as you perceived, different than AutoCAD. AutoCAD doesn't need to concern itself with managing intelligence, because it only allows you to draw and plot. That's the end for AutoCAD. AutoCAD Electrical will use the infrastructure of AutoCAD but will add horsepower to it. But you must allow AutoCAD Electrical to be in command.

The ribbon is your friend when learning. It helps you avoid commands that would not be compatible with the data management engine of AutoCAD Electrical.  It also helps you select appropriate commands as you select the tab of commands according to what you are doing.  If laying out a panel, select the Panel tab of the ribbon.  The commands are  subdivided into panels to help narrow down to just the right command you need, according to the task at hand.  The most common commands have larger icons.

I teach a 4-day user-level class, but I recommend the 5-day administrative course for someone who is brand new to AutoCAD Electrical. We begin with how to see properly configure the software and then we use that infrastructure to design a control panel, from schematic to panel layout to reports.

All of my classes are taught as a design simulation, so I teach workflow, not just commands. My experience with electrical engineering software is based on using in production.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 8 of 13
QSI_Tech

Thanks for the feedback.

I was under the impression that through AutoCAD EC's intelligent design that it auto updates information about Objects as I put them in the drawing. How does does EC know when and where to update the objects, and what objects to update?

For example I insert a control Relay on one I/O card and it needs to be Labeled the same as a Normally Open Contact on another I/O card. Does AutoCAD have a popup asking for more info about the relay?

Message 9 of 13
jalger

Hi QSItech,

How does does EC know when and where to update the objects, and what objects to update?

There are Tools for Updating (Projectwide update/retag, Signal update, Component Update, Wire number update, etc)

Typically most people use Projectwide update /retag on demand (after they have finished making some changes.).

Does AutoCAD have a popup asking for more info about the relay?

Yes, there is a special popup window (for Child components).

There are two main types of Components : Parents (which house the bulk of the data), and Children ( which link to the parents to pull in the data from the parent).

I hope this helps,

James

James Alger

Work:
1tb SSD, 64GB RAM
Message 10 of 13
dougmcalexander

The automation is based upon how you configure your drawing template, in conjunction with your project parameters.  Insert a symbol and the software can automatically assign the tag or device ID.  You can set it up to autofill wire connection labels (called pins), rating values (volts, amps,watts, joules, etc.) and even function text,if you wish.  All of this is covered in my training.  You can assign the part number by picking one from a catalog database or version 2015 allows you to select the part number first and then it pops up a predetermined symbol that represents that part number.

You should consider attending a class. I normally teach on site for one customer at a time.  Sometimes I conduct an open class.  An open class is conducted at a training center and you share the cost.  The open class is more generic since I have people from multiple companies at the same time, but I still cover infrastructure and workflow.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 13
QSI_Tech
in reply to: jalger

Short of taking a class is there any way I can see a demonstration of AutoCAD EC in action?

Message 12 of 13
dougmcalexander

An Autodesk dealer should be able to show a demo.  I can do a demo via GoToMeeting but I have to charge a small fee.  You can also download the software fir a trial basis.  There is a built-in tutorial that covers basics.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 13
QSI_Tech

Thanks Doug I will pass this along.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost