AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical Issue with Snap Default

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
JohnB54
640 Views, 17 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical Issue with Snap Default

I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2015, and I want to change my default Snap value from 1.0 to 0.125.  It seems that every drawing that I open has the Snap setting at 1".  If I change it to 0.125, save the drawing, close it, and then re-open the drawing I find that the setting has gone back to 1".

How can I change this to hold the value?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rhesusminus
in reply to: JohnB54

The snap values are saved in the system variable SNAPUNIT, which again is saved in the drawing file.

So, if this setting changes when the drawing is reopened, there might be some script or something that runs when the drawing is opened?

Trond Hasse Lie
AutoCAD Electrical and EPLAN expert
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 3 of 18
JohnB54
in reply to: rhesusminus

I have no scripts that I am aware of.  Just running standard install, and have not created any scripts.

Message 4 of 18
rhesusminus

Type SNAPUNIT on the command line.

Type 0.125,0.125 and press enter.

Save and exit the drawing.

Reopen the drawing, and type SNAPUNIT again. Does it say 1,1 again?

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Please select "Accept Solution" if this post answers your question. 'Likes' won't hurt either. 😉
Message 5 of 18
JohnB54

That seems to work.  If I try to do it from the icon selection 'Snap Settings', save the drawing, close, and re-open it doesn't work.  I can work with the SNAPUNIT entry.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 18
JohnB54

Well, maybe not...  The solution works in Paper, but not in Model.  If I change it by typing SNAPUNIT 0.125,0.125 in Model, when I go to Paper and then back to Model, the value goes back to 1., 1.

Sorry.

Message 7 of 18
JohnB54

Is there a place to make a default setting for SNAPUNIT?

Everytime I go into a drawing or even switche between Paper Space and Model the SNAPUNIT switches back to 1.0,1.0

Message 8 of 18
dougmcalexander

Rhesusminus has advised you well.  I build templates every week.  I set the snap assignment by right-clicking the snap icon at the bottom, or, if I'm in the mood to type commands, I type SNAPUNIT.  I save the drawing as a template.  Every new drawing I start from this template defaults to the snap I set.

Try the same thing with a different drawing or template if you have one to test.  If it works, perhaps there is an issue with your current template.

Mixing model and paper space can cause an occasional irregularity.  Just be sure to keep all component data in model space. I can't say with certainty that is your issue, but all of the competetive programs I have seen or used like Electrical, which run atop AutoCAD, disable paperspace.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 9 of 18
sonny3g
in reply to: dougmcalexander

My two cents is to look to see if you have ::startup active with a snap preset of .1 and secondly is to check to see if you have a project default setting for a .1 snap in conjunction with using Configured Settings for the project. 

I have run into an issue when using Configured Settings on a project when some of the drawings need to have slightly different settings and running settings compare/match changed them back to the project.  Not exactly the same issue you are dealing with.

I also have some shortcut commands (single or mutiple commands abbreviated) that will change certain settings (like snap mode) when used.  Do you know if you have any thing like that possibly being invoked when a drawing is opened that changes your snap settings?

Okay, 3 cents.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 10 of 18
JohnB54
in reply to: sonny3g

I run a basic install of AutoCAD Electrical.  I'm not familiar with looking for "::startup".  As far as I know there are no scripts or other commands that I use for anything.  I recognize that there are many features of ACADE that I have not tapped into.

The majority of the drawings that we have are from projects created in ACAD E 2010, and I did not seem to have this issue at that time.  Maybe it is a carry over from when they were initially created, and I need to start with a fresh template.  Not the most appealing option since there are five years of drawings that we pull from on our projects.

Appreciate the feedback.

Message 11 of 18
sonny3g

John,

In your acad2014doc.lsp (your version number instead of 2014) scroll down to the very end of the file and you can add this:

(defun-q  s::startup()

(command "snap" "0.125")

(princ)

)

What this will do is set your snap to 0.125 every time you open a drawing.

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 12 of 18
JohnB54

That worked when the drawing was first brought up.  It shows this at the bottom.  I click where the arrow is to 'Maximize the Viewport'.  This is where I do most of my editing.  The second row is what shows up when I do the Maximize.  At this point my SNAPUNIT is 1.000, 1.000.

AutoCAD Electrical 2015.png

If I do change the SNAPUNIT while Maximized, save and exit or Minimize the Viewport and go back into the drawing I am back to SNAPUNIT of 1.000,1.000.

I'm hoping the picture helps.

Message 13 of 18
sonny3g

John, what are your drawing units set to?  I ran into a problem where some settings, I believe it had to do with item balloons, would not accept decimal values or fractional values that were less than the smallest precision point and would round to the nearest number.  For example, in architectural units I could not set a smaller arrow size than the smallest precision setting of 6".

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 14 of 18
JohnB54

Screen shot of Drawing Units.  By the way, the SNAPUNITS when in Minimized stay at 0.125, 0.125.

Drawing Units.png

Message 15 of 18
sonny3g

I don't see anything wrong in your settings.  Not sure what to try next.

Scott G. Sawdy
Message 16 of 18
JohnB54

I do appreciate the effort.  I will continue to work with it as it is and also try to find a solution.

Thanks!

Message 17 of 18
rhesusminus

I belive I can confirm that there's something fishy here, switching between modelspace, layout and a maximized viewport in layout.
Have to check this functionality in an earlier release to see if it's the same there.

Trond Hasse Lie
Ctrl Alt El
Message 18 of 18
JohnB54

We did not have this issue in AutoCAD Electrical 2010, which was the previous version.  We did a big leap from 2010 to 2015 a couple months ago, and this is the one issue that doesn't seem to have a solution.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost