AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical/Inventor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
STEVENAR
810 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical/Inventor

Hi,

Does Inventor offer the features that AutoCAD Electrical offers, for example can you create a project in Inventor then open the same project using AutoCAD Electrical to create the Electrical drawings?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: STEVENAR

Hi!

Electrical couldn't open Inventor .iam, .ipt and other file formats. Only .dwg and .dwt

But you can make data export/import from one to another.

Message 3 of 9
STEVENAR
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for your reply.

Does Inventor allow you to create a WDP.file (project database file) then allow you to open the same project file using AutoCAD Electrical to create electrical drawings?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

As far as I know - no, because Inventor project is .ipj (and this file contains settings, no data, as I know).

But maybe somebody here know some kind of trick how to do this.

Message 5 of 9
dougmcalexander

The connection between Inventor Professional and Electrical is via XML export/import.  The WDP file existed long before Autodesk acquired what we now know as AutoCAD Electrical.  Electrical stores all data in the DWG file and the project definition file.  The database is more like a scratchpad that the software uses to expedite internal operations.  The database can be deleted with no loss of data, because the source of the data is ultimately the drawing files that make up the project.  The export to Inventor function extracts the drawing data and compiles it into XML format.  Inventor imports the XML file.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 9
STEVENAR
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks for your reply.

So is it possible to create a project using Inventor and create a P&ID then open the project with AutoCAD Electrical and create the Electrical Drawings? We need the Electrical Drawings to link to the P&ID in the project.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 9
dougmcalexander

You can create electrical schematics and P&ID drawings in the same AutoCAD Electrical project and link the components using the WDTAGALT attribute. This can be exported via XML to Inventor Professional for modeling, not the other way around.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 8 of 9
drathak
in reply to: dougmcalexander

I agree with Doug.  

While technically, you can do your wiring in Inventor and export it back to Electrical, you wouldn't want to.  The ability exists to act more as a feedback mechanism if something previously imported and routed in Inventor gets changed for some reason.

The workflow should have the schematics done in Electrical first or in parallel with the panel design then export the wiring information to an XML file for Inventor to import.  There you can use the wiring harness tools to route the wires.

Disclaimer: I am only tangetially familiar with Inventor, but I've seen it done.

--------------
Joe Weaver
Principle Associate Engineer - Nashville Electric Service
P&C Committee Chair – SDS Industry Consortium
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I'm somewhat new to AutoCAD Electrical and Autodesk Inventor. I've taught myself a lot over the past few weeks, though. Actually, I had never used either program before about a month ago.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost