AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical 2014 catalog/database issues

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
stefan.stamate
5105 Views, 17 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical 2014 catalog/database issues

Hi there,

We are havng an issue with the AE 2014 version trying to access the older "default_cat.mdb" file used previously in AE 2013. I thought that it is an issue of compatibility first (it happened in the past when we switched over from 2009 to 2012).I have exported all the tables from the old database (default_cat.mdb), wiped out all the tables from the new database and then imported the ones I have exported previously back into the new database but with no luck. The error we are getting is:

Extracting item numbers in use . . .; error: quit / exit abort

which doesn't give you too many clues.

2 computers ran into a similar error message when trying to use the older default_cat.mdb database.

We need the old database as it has lots of custom parts which we have added over the years. It would be nice if AutoCAD Electrical would come with a nice utility to import all the items from the old database into the new one...

Our enviroment is Windows 7 64 bit.

Can anybody shed some light into this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

How did you export the tables?  There is a migration utility built into the software.  I use it with every new release and it works just fine.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 18

Thanks Doug for the information.

My experience with the utility built into AutoCAD is that it only exports the settings and not the database which for us is located on the server. You are referring to the "Migrate Custome Settings" available under the Start/All Programs/Autodesk/AutoCADd Electrical or to some other utility? I would be curious to find out how can you use that utility to migrate the default_cat.mdb file.

Also in my past experience it will only export and import back the settings into the same version of Autocad and I was not able to use it to transfer my settings from one older version to the newer version.

As regarding to the export of the tables: I have ussed Microsoft Access to open the database and used the export feature available there to export all the tables. I exported all of them to xls files and re-imported in the same way (using Access) to the new database.

Thanks for your help,

Stefan

Message 4 of 18

The Migration Utility is located in the Project menu tab of the ribbon. It was called Merge in early versions of the software but it only merged databases back then. In the late 2000s Autodesk enhanced it and it now offers to migrate databases, libraries, menus, and more.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Message 5 of 18

Good that I asked, I was referring to the wrong utility. I will give that utility a try and see if it does export the catalog properly. Thanks for the hint!

Regards,

Stefan

Message 6 of 18

It will work flawlessly, as long as you haven't corrupted the databases by manually manipulating them. Rearranging tables, deleting fields, etc. can corrupt the database and the utility may not be able to migrate the data. I saw that scenario with one of my customers this year.

Doug McAlexander

Message 7 of 18

I gave it a try but unfortunatelly it reports an error with the database when I picked the server location for the database rather than the default local one. I even tried to copy it locally and replace the local one with no luck.

I am not sure if it's considering the wd.env file or not when selecting the default_cat.mdb file. Our wd.env points to the server location. It's funny because Autocad works with no issues with the same database. Other than the built-in "Catalog Database File Check" are there any other utilities for dealing with a situation like this?

Thanks,

Stefan

Message 8 of 18

If you followed the networking instructions I outline on my web site it will find the database without any edits to the stock wd.env. You simply copy the AeData folder and all sub folders to the network and add the network path to the AutoCAD Support File Search Path as the first path listed. Rename the local AeData so the software cannot find it.

Doug McAlexander

Message 9 of 18
dave161090
in reply to: stefan.stamate

I'm installing autocad electrical 2015 but when installing finish i can not get catalog at catalog menu.

can you give me problem solving for that sir??

Best Ragards

Dave

Message 10 of 18

Be careful about "tweaking" the catalog database.  You cannot re-arrange field order, name, length, etc.  Also do not delete any fields.  If you must add a new table, be sure to use the Add New Table utility (see attached image).  It has two fields, one for the table name (2 letters) and one for the table description. The 2 letters should match the 2nd and 3rd letter of the block name (i.e. HCB1 opens the CB table) that should point to this table.  Tables can be named with more than 2 letters (i.e. TRMS) but then a special attribute named WDBLKNAM must be added to the symbol block with the value set to the exact table name, such as with terminal block symbols.  They contain a WBLKNAM attribute with a value of TRMS.

It is also important to use the migration utility to transfer data from your previous version of AutoCAD Electrical to your new version.  I recommend doing this every time you upgrade.  You cannot simply copy tables from your previous database and overwrite/replace the tables in the new database. The database structure can change from time to time to accomodate new features.  The Migration Utility is programmed to handle this.  There was a major change between releases 2010 and 2011, because the Lookup utility was much improved.  The same is true now, between releases 2014 and 2015.  2015 is very strict, moreso than 2011 was, with regard to data integrity.  Your 2014 database must be in the proper format.  Once you get upgraded to 2015, you will be able to use the new Catalog Browser, which allows you to select a part number first and the associated symbol is instantly available for insertion.

Doug McAlexander

Message 11 of 18
saju_321
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Hi dougmcalexander

I used the migration utility to update the catalog database from 2013 to 2015.

And my wd.env file has the path to the correct folder location. This file is attached here.

Still i am getting an error message when i am doing a catalog lookup (screenshot is attached).

Can you see what is it that is going wrong here?

Message 12 of 18
dougmcalexander
in reply to: saju_321

It is not related to the path in the wd.env.  Your database must have some irregular tables.  Usually they are tables that are not named correctly, missing required fields, or tables you created using Access.  If you need to add a table to the database, use the utility from the Project tab, under Other Tools. (see attached image)  This utility formats the tables properly.  If you happen to create a new block, and the 2nd and 3rd characters in the file name do not match an existing table, the software will offer to create a new table with our new letters.  It will format this table correctly as well.  Creating a new table directy with Microsoft Access requires that you be intimately familiar with the fields and formats required by AutoCAD Electrical.  Deleting a field or moving it out of order can also cause an issue for Migration.  I always recommend for people to use the built-in database editors in order to keep the databases healthy.

Note: If your Project Properties are set to use the MISC_CAT table only if a component specific table does not exist (see attached image), the software will not prompt to create a new table for a new type of device; it will open the MISC_CAT table instead.  This is the way I prefer to operate.  If I create something so different that there is not existing table for it from Autodesk, I put the part number data for t in MISC_CAT.

Like I said, it seems like your existing Catalog Database has errors in it.  That usually generates the error message like you are getting.  Also be sure you have installed Service Pack 1 for AutoCAD Electrical 2015.  It enhances the Migration Utility.  But if your tables are too messed us, even 2015 SP1 will not be able to migrate the database.

Doug McAlexander

Message 13 of 18
saju_321

Hi dougmcalexander

I am glad that i didn't uninstall my AutoCAD 2013 yet.

Attached are the screenshot of tables on my catalog database that i can see from AutoCAD 2013.

How do i make sure that my database is not corrupted without using Microsoft Access? I don't have MS Access in my computer.

And my catalog lookup file preference is not set to use MISC_CAT. It is set to use component specific tables. I think it was like this ever since i installed AutoCAD 2013. I have been working with AutoCAD 2013 for over a year now. If this is the reason why my database got corrupted, how do i rollback or fix my database?

Message 14 of 18
dougmcalexander

I'm with a customer so I have to be quick.  I looked at your screen shots.  At first glance I definitely see tables in there that are not from Autodesk.  I would have to see the the inside of the tables to know if the fields are correct.  It can take a while to look at every table and check every field to be sure it is formatted correctly, and that the fields are in the proper order.  One way you could do it yourself is to get a copy of the original 2013 default_cat.mdb and use it as a reference.

The reason most companies wind up with additional tables is because their project is not set to use the MISC_CAT table for non-standard components, and they create a new block themselves, where the 2nd and 3rd character do not match an existing table name.  If the Project Properties are set to use only Component Specific tables, the software will create a table, based upon the letters in your block file name.  If your block was named something irregular, the table will be named accordingly.  It is okay to add tables this way, because the software knows how to create the table in the proper format.  But if you add a table yourself, via Access, you have lots of editing to do, or be sure to copy a table that came from Autodesk, that is similar to the type of component you are adding a table for.

Bottom line: If you use the standard tables provided by Autodesk, and use the MISC_CAT for anything else, your database should stay healthy.

Doug McAlexander

Message 15 of 18
saju_321

Hi dougmcalexander

Now, since it is confirmed that my default_cat.mdb file is corrupted, how do i fix it? I don't have MS Access to open this file.
Message 16 of 18

It seems strange that your database is corrupt by just using AutoCAD Electrical to edit it. Usually problems occur when you edit it directly with Access. Perhaps someone from Autodesk can take a look at your database. Service Pack 1 of 2015 has an improved migration utility that is supposed to be more capable of migrating databases with minor irregularities. Autodesk, can you help out?

Doug McAlexander

Message 17 of 18
saju_321

Hi dougmcalexander

I installed service pack 1 of Autodesk 2015 and used the migration utility. But it didn't help.

Is someone from Autodesk going to help me on this?

Message 18 of 18
dougmcalexander

SP1 won't rename tables. What you might have to do is use MS Access to open your old default_cat.mdb and move data from it into the new default_cat.mdb that installs with 2015. If you don't have MS Access, you will need to re-enter any custom part numbers you added. But enter the data into the proper table, or add it to MISC_CAT. Set your project to use MISC_CAT if no component-specific table is found during Lookup.

If a matching component table isn't found, it means that you named the 2nd and 3rd character of your symbol something that isn't already in the database.. You have components that were created and named such things as H10..., HA0..., HHMI... based upon the table names I see in your database. This also means that your symbols are not named correctly. That explains how your tables weren't named properly.

I also saw a table named DV, which means you have a symbol named HDV etc., or maybe VDV etc. The letters "DV" are only used by the software in case you don't choose valid designation letters when naming a symbol and assigning its default tag letters. If you select the Generic attribute template when creating a symbol, you are responsible for entering the proper tag letters. If you select from a component-specific attribute template, the letters are assigned for you. Be aware though that the attribute template for power supplies incorrectly assigns PW. It should be PWS for U.S. or G for IEC.

Let's say that you create a symbol with the tag letters PWS for power supply. The table name for power supplies is PW, because you can only use two letters for a table name. A power supply symbol can have tag letters PWS, per NFPA-79, or "G" per IEC. But the file name must be either HPW1_etc. or VPW1_etc. in order for Lookup to take you to the correct table. Terminal blocks and PLCs are the exception. They have their own unique table names. Note: The letter H might be a V, if your symbol was created for vertical wire orientation.

Doug McAlexander

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost