AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical 2012

76 REPLIES 76
Message 1 of 77
DBrohm
5410 Views, 76 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical 2012

Don’t know how many of you have received your new software for 2012, either via download or DVD, I have.  I had heard some significant changes were being considered for the software on the whole; don’t know if that ever panned out but….  Two things I do know for sure, however; 1.) Acad Elect. 2012 installed much faster than previous versions have, and, 2.) Just like 2009, 2010, and 2011 it has issues right out of the box as it were.  I have been told by a number of individuals that I use Acad Elect at an extreme level in relation to its overall flexibility is it true not sure.  But I can’t believe that the “strains” that I place on the software would result in the issue that I found after having installed the software, configured it to use our standard blocks, database etc., and drawn one vertical three wire bus.  At this point mind you I will admit that the install, and configure process, was done very quickly, more so than in the past, due credit there.

The issue that I found was as follows; I drew, inserted, whichever term you prefer, the vertical three wire bus, then tried to connect a horizontal three wire bus to the vertical one.  With snap enabled, set @ 1/16”, the visual “snap on” indicator was lit, essentially everything telling me snap was on and active, the cross hairs floated and as such were not on snap in any way shape or form, end result was the horizontal three wire bus was nowhere near snap.  This only seems to occur when one tries to connect a bus to another bus; a single wire in empty space, to the bus, or a three wire bus into empty space, snap seems to works fine.

I have sent this to tech support, which has been able to reproduce the issue and have forwarded it onto the development team.  In itself ‘stuff” happens, but I don’t understand how something so fundamental to the software package for years now could just not work.  Am I the only one who uses these functions, I can’t believe that to be true however, no one seemingly found this during beta testing.  A further puzzlement to me is that virtually every time I have registered issues with tech support with each new rendition of software sooner or later I am told that very few use the software the way I do.  This is one thing that I find hard to fathom but if true why, when many Autodesk peoples have suggested that I should be part of the Beta testing process, haven’t they taken me up on my offer to do just that???

Oh well another version of Acad Elect installed and removed within one week because it is of no use to me.  It only required one year but eventually 2010 was fixed enough that I could give it to my designers to use.  So hope springs eternal for 2012.

Have fun my fellow Acad Electrical gurus once more unto the breach.

76 REPLIES 76
Message 61 of 77

John,

First let me say that Autodesk appreciates the time you and others spend on this discussion group providing feedback. It is a great place for us to hear directly from the people using the products. Also, I will take opportunity to encourage you and anyone else on the forum to become beta users if you aren't already. Being a beta user is a great way to get your feedback in before the release.

To answer your question about logging - logging means that it is on the list to be considered for a future change. I wish I could be more specific than that but I can say that the user comments are considered when priority is assigned. The more impact on your business the higher prioity to Autodesk. That said, I cannot say if/when this issue will be resolved.

I will add your comments here to the logged issue. Also, since this is a base AutoCAD issue you might also post on the AutoCAD discussion group.

I am not sure why this wasn't in the AutoCAD What's New although AutoCAD tends to highlight the bigger features in the What's New section. It is a good idea to include a section and maybe group together these types of changes to make users aware of them. I will make sure to include this suggestion in the logged item.

Regards,

Pat

P.S. I wasn't actually on at 4:14 a.m. so I am not sure where that came from! Maybe some time difference between where I am and where the discussion group server is.

Pat Murnen
Principal Content Developer
Product Development – AutoCAD Product Line Group

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 62 of 77
john.mckay
in reply to: DBrohm

Thanks Pat.

Hava e good day.

Get some sleep tonight.

JDM

Message 63 of 77
johnq

Hello Dbrohm

I left a company using 2010 ACE and it was a dog as the network and computer were not up to it.

New company moving from 2007 to 2012.  One of the first tools I tried was the multi wire bus.   I found the same problem as you have.  I thought I was going nuts as I am the only one here.

It is so fundemental it is crazy it was missed.

I feel better reading you have the same problem.

Cheers  john quigley

Message 64 of 77
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: johnq

John,

make sure you download the hotfix that addresses the AutoCAD Electrical issues. So when you run a command where the selection you are making is used for both selecting an entity and getting a location, the snap is active.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16822624&linkID=9240738

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 65 of 77

Hi, i use autocad electrical back in version 2011 because 2012 electrical is total useless for me without the old snap behavior.

And after about 30 years with autocad I cannot just change how I make drawings, and I have no time for that. My work as electric engineer travelling around the world is extreme stressful, and I don’t want my tools to make it even worse. I have often to make 500-1000 electric drawings for a project like all control systems and all electric installations for new factories, I must also work most of the weekends during a year , last year 211 days from home, so it cannot be too much to ask , give back the old snap behavior for us who needs it. I am sorry ,  I have no time for new courses or learn autocad all over again. I have no problems to understand some likes this new snap , but please give us who don’t  the possibility to select the old snap behavior.

Autodesk, when people are complainig there must be something wrong, why dont you just fix this, it cannot be that difficult

it has worked perfect for more than 30 years??

Message 66 of 77
jcorvalan

Hi every one!!

Where I can find the Spanish Language Pack fon AutoCAD Eletrical 2012

Thanks

Message 67 of 77
dougmcalexander
in reply to: post

Install Service Pack 1 and type SNAPGRIDLEGACY at the command line.  Press enter and change the value to 1.  Press enter again and you get old snap.  I personally prefer the new non-snap so I can grip easier while zoomed in close before I execute a command.  Before 2012 I often had to turn off snap, grip, and then turn snap on again.  I like version 2012, but SP1 allows those who prefer the old snap behavior to revert.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 68 of 77

Does this hotfix help with OSNAP shutting off?  That has been very frustrating for me.

Message 69 of 77

Also, polar and ortho keep shutting off?

Message 70 of 77
pankaj.dave

Hello

I want help rearding tagging of wire. I have a query that if we extend same wire after terminals having same attributes, do we have to re-enter all the data again or there is automatic way that same data can be used.

Can you help

Message 71 of 77

Hi there,

First of all I am not sure if this was mentioned previously, sorry in advance if it was.

I am encountering issues with selecting multiple files (using the Shift key) when adding drawings into a project. I am using 2012 Electrical+SP1 on Windows 7. I have no issues when using the Control key but it takes forever...Basically Autocad hangs when I try to select multiple drawings using the Shift Key.

Thanks in advance!

Stefan

Message 72 of 77
gtralt
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

I tried the Hotfix and was not able to start AutoCADE after following the directions. Attached is the error that I got. Any suggestions?

Message 73 of 77
PatMurnen_Adsk
in reply to: gtralt

I will forward this error image to support. Did you install the hotfix for 32 bit or 64 bit system? What operating system are you on?

In the meantime the readme has these instructions for installing and removing the hotfix -

1. Exit AutoCAD Electrical
  2. Download the appropriate hotfix
    • For 32 bit operating systems - DL16822624.zip
    • For 64 bit operating systems - DL16822624_x64.zip
  1. Find the product installation folder; for example C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade 2012.
  2. In this folder, right-click the acad.exe file and select Properties.
  3. In Windows XP, click the Version tab, in Windows Vista or Windows 7 click the Details tab. Confirm the file version.
    • If this file is version 24.2.51.0, then proceed with this installation.
    • If this file is version 24.2.51.2, then this hotfix has already been applied.
  1. Goto product installation folder, right click on "acad.exe" and rename it to "acad.bak" to retain the original file as backup.
  2. Double-click the downloaded file.
  3. Extract acad.exe to the product installation folder (for example, C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade 2012)
  4. Verify the version of the replaced file by right-clicking on the new acad.exe file and select Properties. In Windows XP click the Version tab, in Windows Vista or Windows 7 click the Details tab. Confirm this file is version 24.2.51.2.

NOTE: To remove this HOTFIX, delete the new acad.exe file and the rename the file acad.bak back to its original name of acad.exe.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 74 of 77
gtralt
in reply to: PatMurnen_Adsk

I am running WinXP 64bit and the directions that you posted from the readme are the same steps that I followed when doing the hotfix. I made sure to download the 64bit version. and still got the error that I posted.

Message 75 of 77
PatMurnen_Adsk

I am passing this information on to support but in the meantime I just wanted to make sure you could uninstall it (text in red about renaming the backup file made when installed) and run AcadE.

If you are a subscription customer I would recommend logging this through that route as well. I checked to see if there were issues already logged regarding this hotfix but didn't find any.

Pat Murnen

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 76 of 77
RobinShou-Autodesk

Hi gtralt,

Have you patch the SP1 into your ACE2012 alrealy before you patch the Hotfix?

I can reproduce your issue if I patch the SP1 to the ACE2012 firstly, then patch the hotfix again.

If you have patch the SP1 for ACE2012, then you don't need to patch this hotfix again. As we release the hotfix firstly, then release SP1. So in the SP1, it includes the hotfix for the snap issue, please check the SP1 readme for detail.

So now please follow the Note below to remove the HOTFIX, then you should can launch the ACE with no issue. and also the snap issue is fixed by the SP1.

NOTE: To remove this HOTFIX, delete the new acad.exe file and the rename the file acad.bak back to its original name of acad.exe.

Please let me know if you still encounter issues.

Thanks,
Robin Shou
Quality Assurance
AutoCAD Electrical
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 77 of 77
gtralt
in reply to: RobinShou-Autodesk

Yes, I do have SP1 installed for AutoCADE 2012. So I'm good to go. I removed the hotfix and continued on business as usual.

Thanks,

Greg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost