AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Electrical 2010 AOTC Manual Updates

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
BruTec
752 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD Electrical 2010 AOTC Manual Updates

Hello all, It’s that time of the year where the planning for the AutoCAD Electrical 2010 AOTC manuals is beginning. (AOTC stand for Autodesk Official Training Courseware.)

Now is your chance to make a difference. Have you found mistakes in the 2009 version? Do you have some topics you would like to see included? Maybe some lessons should be located earlier, or later, or dropped entirely? Maybe it’s OK as is?

We are considering splitting the manuals into two parts, instead of one big (2 book) manual. Maybe an Essentials, and a Productivity book. What do you think of that? Which topics should be in the Essentials book, and which ones in the Productivity book? The class was originally planned for three days, now it’s four, and every year new features and lessons are being added. Which ones are the most important? Which ones are the least important? What order should they be taught in?

Please, please, please, let us know what you think. Every year we try to update the manuals to better fit your needs and requests. Now is the time to make your opinions known. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Randy Brunette
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
John
in reply to: BruTec

AutoCAD Electrical 2010?

I know they say that as you get older the years go by faster!

But I have only just dipped my toe into ACADE2009 (and I don't like it). So I don't want to even think about 2010.

I say again, just give us a decent book - and I don't mean a print-out of the online help. I have a book about a well-known programming language in front of me. it's got 1275 pages! 2 inches thick! With real-world examples and commonly encountered problems. It's now got lots of little coloured tabs sticking out - couldn't do without it!

OK, rant over!

John
Message 3 of 10
djs
Enthusiast

ACE 2009 does come with a user manual! It is a PDF document located in the help subdirectory of the ACE 2009 installation, usually
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Acade 2009\Help. It is called ACAD_Elec_2009_UserGuide.pdf and has 1622 pages.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Has the section on using the TSE been updated to
note that people need to set the Internal/External connection points in the
schematics as well as the wire sequence for wires that go to more than one
device after leaving the terminal?

Minor information (i.e. what information needs to
be filled in on the terminal to allow the TSE to run without problems) like that
needs to be added to all commands/functions/reports discussed in the
manual.

Regards Brad

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

Hello all, It’s that time of the year where the planning for the AutoCAD
Electrical 2010 AOTC manuals is beginning. (AOTC stand for Autodesk Official
Training Courseware.)

Now is your chance to make a difference. Have
you found mistakes in the 2009 version? Do you have some topics you would like
to see included? Maybe some lessons should be located earlier, or later, or
dropped entirely? Maybe it’s OK as is?

We are considering splitting
the manuals into two parts, instead of one big (2 book) manual. Maybe an
Essentials, and a Productivity book. What do you think of that? Which topics
should be in the Essentials book, and which ones in the Productivity book? The
class was originally planned for three days, now it’s four, and every year new
features and lessons are being added. Which ones are the most important? Which
ones are the least important? What order should they be taught in?

Please, please, please, let us know what you think. Every year we try
to update the manuals to better fit your needs and requests. Now is the time
to make your opinions known. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Message 5 of 10
stanwile

As an instructor I see too many times the students get confused when something is explained three different ways. Take adding jumpers for example you can do them on the schematic side or the panel side (terminal strip editor). Maybe that was a poor example, but I would rather teach the way that makes the most sense and skip the others ways you can do the same thing.
A lot of times I hear well why would you do it that way when this other way is easier. Too often my answer well in last year’s release the hard way was the only way. But this year the book shows both.

Another thing would maybe be put the PLC chapter in front of all the external references properties chapters. Same goes for Fan in/out and Cables. Those are more work flow examples that should really be covered before we start explaining how Electrical works behind the scenes.

If you’re going to add a day maybe include another example that is actually creating some point to point drawings. Or maybe have some 1 or 2 page exercises at the back of the book for the ones who just fly through the book. The ACAD books have that.

I'll post other ideas as I think of them

Stan
Message 6 of 10
BruTec

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Keep them coming!

Work on the manuals begins in only a couple of more weeks.

Thanx again.
Randy Brunette
Message 7 of 10
rstein

John,
I am currently writing my own AutoCAD Electrical book, please check out my blog site www.robertstein.blogspot.com where you can read a little bit about my plans, and also vote on a tentative title. The direct link to my post about my book is http://robertstein.blogspot.com/2008/12/autocad-electrical-book.html. I also plan to post "Snippits" from my book as I get more completed. Please keep in mind I am doing this in my spare time so it might take until the end of the year to complete it.

Thanks
Rob Stein
www.robertstein.blogspot.com
stein.rob@gmail.com
Message 8 of 10
BruTec

Work is beginning now. Last chance to get your suggestions considered.

What topics or lessons do you consider as Essentials? Which ones are Advanced?

I know they are all important, and are all cool, but what do you think are the absolutely necessary topics for the most basic user to learn? Which have lesser importance?

Let me know.

Thanx for all your feed back so far.
Randy Brunette
Message 9 of 10
AMT_electrical

All of these can be elaborated on more with pictures and screen shots. These should all be essentials.
How set up a title block.
What’s the difference between a panel report and a schematic report? Show why one would do it one way vs. another way and how to do it.
Wire to from report.
Symbol builder. The current version is way too hard to understand.
Icon menu wizard.
How to export the BOM to an excel spread sheet with user defined columns.
How to set up a simple project that can be duplicated easily.
How set up a network deployed version that points out where everything should be.
What can be modified and why
How to upgrade software packages easily that point to where the user databases are. Also how to migrate the current databases easier.

Some of the basic things need to be explained a lot better. Pictures and how to exactly do them are greatly appreciated. It's the little things that help.

A printed manual is what everybody desires because of tabs, highlighters and how to write notes right in the manual. This what Autodesk should strive for. I know, everybody is trying to cut costs…………

That’s it for now.
Message 10 of 10
BruTec

AMT_Electrical,

Can you please send me an email directly? I have some questions about some of your suggestions, and would like to investigate them further.

You can email me at: randy.brunette@brutec.us.

thanx
Randy Brunette

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost