AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto save AcadE 2012 does not work

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Wheelie22
1446 Views, 10 Replies

Auto save AcadE 2012 does not work

I deleted 50,000 files from the temp to empty it a bit.

with acad e 2012 on w7

in the options :

file safety precautions

-automatic save 10 or 2  or 1 minutes between saves
  -file extention for temporary files
   ac$

automaic save file location
  c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\

in this location are :

ace script files
  1 undo.ac$
a few :
  tmp
  cvr
  mdb
  lsp
files

but no opend dwg files *.ac$

Is autosave working for sombody with acade2010 ?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Wheelie22
in reply to: Wheelie22

When i have a drawing open there is a :

dwgname-_1_1_8660.sv$

file there but no ac$ !

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

G'day

Just a thought:    I have been caught when IT folks install ACE and do not know how to configure it.

Has the path been set in ACE/AC?   (tools   open/save)  IT may want the temp location on a server so the server path needs to be set in the mentioned files.

I have often needed to created the directory for these files.

I believe that the .bak file is only created when a file is closed.

Hope this helps.

John Q

Message 4 of 11
Wheelie22

Here are my options Open/Save

Options open-save.png

I used the extension qqe just to test, but no qqe files in the temp.

The automatic save path is :

C:\Users\USERNAME\appdata\local\temp\

And the bak file is normally only in the directory where your dwg is, but now it saves it here to.

But John Q why do a auto save on the network, as you see we use a local profile, and the IT dudes want as less traffic as possible.

Message 5 of 11
Icemanau

One thing to keep in mind.

The AUTOSAVE file are only kept until you save the dwgs you have open or close the dwg without saving.

At that time, they are automatically deleted.

I've been caught by that, had autosave on and made some changes. Went to close the dwg and hit NO to the save question by mistake. Unfortuanetly I couldn't use the autosave file to recover the work as it was automatically deleted.

About the only time you would be able to use the autosave file would be if the computer lost power suddenly and there were autosave files in existance for the dwg you are working on.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Icemanau

Hi Wheelie

There has been a lack of communication between my brain and fingers.

The hidded function I did not mention is  where I have worked my "C" drive does not get backed up.  All drawings and backups are on the server while the software is on the "C" drive.

I ponder if this is the key to ACE being unstable where I have worked?

There are critical folders in ACE that I do a manual copy to a directory on the server so that I can recover if necessdar.

As I understand:   the .sc$ files are also saved to where ever the path is in the FILE set up in AC

Hope this clears up my previously cripitic  HELP!

Cheers  jq

Message 7 of 11
gouveianuno

Are you sure that the autosave feature works like that?!  That is totaaly insane...it should keep at least the last few autosave files.

Is there a way to override that delete feature?

thanks

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 11
pendean
in reply to: gouveianuno

The AUTOSAVE file are only kept until you save the dwgs you have open or close the dwg without saving. At that time, the AutoSAVE files are automatically deleted.

They only stay if your AutoCAD is unexpectedly terminated, like in a power outage and sometimes after a software crash.

AutoSAVE has never been, and still is not, a 'save the file for me and create a BAK file for me and do it all for me so I don't have to manually save" type tool. Sorry noobs.
Message 9 of 11
SeanMacOz
in reply to: pendean

"AutoSAVE has never been, and still is not, a 'save the file for me and create a BAK file for me and do it all for me so I don't have to manually save" type tool. Sorry noobs."

Unfortunately ACADe crashes that often it would be prudent for AutoDesk to implement such a feature. For instance my colleague just switched workspaces and ACADe crashed and he's lost the last 20 minutes of work. Most applications these days have an autosave.

It seems there are enough users who would like such a feature, more so than cursor badges or new workspace colours, so why is this still not a feature?

"Sorry noobs"... Are you serious! lmfao - philistine.

Message 10 of 11
Wheelie22
in reply to: SeanMacOz

Automatc save 2015 does not work !

AUTOSAVE.png

Ok i am a noob, but i want every version of autocad to save a temporary file every 5 minutes and keep them all, or at least the last 1. Even if acad closes the drawing.

Or make an extra option : keep the last temp file or every 1.

I see UNDO.ac$ and REDO.ac$ and then a DrawingName_1_2_2036 (this last 4 numbers are a kind of incremental) .sv$ and a .bak but no .ac$ ? And no help text with  i will delete them after a good save or close ?

Maybe this should be in the acad2015 part or the acad IdeaStation part.

I can still remember the times that my FAT32 W\temp directory was giving errors because there where to much .ac$ files in there. These files were the DWG files not the undo/redo files. Until the operating system W can be trusted this Acad option must be available.

En zoals we hier in Holland zeggen : Prettige feestdagen en een gelukkig nieuwjaar.

Message 11 of 11
testsubject

I have a response here on how autosave works.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-electrical-general/issue-with-autosave/td-p/5954530

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost