AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Visual diagrams

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
dsieng
13866 Views, 8 Replies

Audio Visual diagrams

Is there a tool available in AutoCAD Electrical that allows you to create blocks for audio/video equipment? I have attached a PDF of the type of "block" I would like to create.

I don't want to draw every block from scratch since I think this will be very time consuming and could/will lead to inconsistent looking blocks (spacing, justification, size, fonts, etc....). I also need intelligence in the blocks for running reports like bill of materials and "to-from" lists.

Thank you for your help!

Tony

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
s.wile
in reply to: dsieng

The tool would be called Symbol Builder. You can create attribute templates that place common/default attributes all at once. This helps with spacing and consistency. Wire connections are pretty easy to place as well.

However… you will have to create each one. Usually you can create a fairly complex one and then base the others off of it. So you’re not necessarily starting from scratch each time.

Stan Wile
http://myacade.blogspot.com/
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 3 of 9
dsieng
in reply to: s.wile

Would the PCL Editor work for this? I don't have any experience with the PLC Editor but can't really see what the down side would be, other than cosmetic.

Message 4 of 9
Dag_Henrik

If you would like to build the symbol just like the one in the attachment, there is one neat trick you can do.

Save the pdf- file of your symbol somewhere, then right click it and copy it. (Or select it and Ctrl+C)

Go into autocad Electrical and start a new drawing, right click in the drawing area, extend clipboard and choose paste (Or Ctrl+V)

autoCAD now prompts you for witch page to select. Press enter since your pdf only has one page.

Click somewhere in the drawing area and chose orientation.

The picture of the device you want is now inserted.

Go to the home tab and, with help of the standard autocad commands like line, circle, text, squares etc. draw over the picture just inserted. If you click the inserted pdf, you get the opportunity to adjust the file, for example fade it so for it to be easier to see where you have already drawn.

autoCAD should be able to sense snap opportunities in the pdf- drawing.

When you have drawn all geometry you want, delete the pdf underlay, scale your model if necessary, and start the Symbol builder tool under the schematic pane.

Insert as many connection points you need and save the block.

Message 5 of 9
Dag_Henrik
in reply to: Dag_Henrik

Here is a example I began on, but my day is over, so I am leaving the office for today.

Message 6 of 9
dsieng
in reply to: Dag_Henrik

Thank you for your replies!

I'm really trying to find a way to create these blocks without having to re-draw (or even copy and modify existing blocks) from scratch.

This is what was so attractive about the PLC editor. It seems like I can define a "style" or use an existing "style" and that would handle the cosmetic part of the block. That would allow me to build these blocks faster and they would be more consistent in their appearance.

Perhaps I need to do a proof of concept and just see how it goes.

Does anyone see why this would not work or does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed down this path?

Message 7 of 9
s.wile

Here is a little artical I wrote about creating custom PLC styles.

http://myacade.blogspot.com/2011/01/creating-custom-plc-style-in-autocad_20.html

Stan Wile
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 8 of 9
dsieng
in reply to: s.wile

This is very helpful, thank you!

Do you know how I set the overall width of the block?

Message 9 of 9
s.wile

When in the PLC Database Editor, select the module and then press Style Box Dimensions. This allows you to change the overall dims around that module.

Stan Wile
IMAGINiT Technologies

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost