AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new attribute to existing attribute list

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rob.loper63
884 Views, 2 Replies

Adding new attribute to existing attribute list

Hey Guys,

I have created many blocks with common attributes.  I have defined the list of attributes and when I create a new block I just copy the attributes near the elements that will be my new block.  I then Create the block and select all elements including the attributes.  The enhanced attribute manager then asks for values which I enter.  I save the block and move on.  If I want to change a value of one of my attributes on a specific block I double click the block and up pops the enhanced attribute manager again.  

This is great and exactly what I want until....I want to add an attribute to the list and have it be in the enhanced attribute manager list. What happens now is I define a new attribute while editing a block and save the block.  I double click the block and the enhance attribute manager doesn't show it in the list.  Is there a way to add attributes to a list like this?

Thanks,

Rob 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sonny3g
in reply to: rob.loper63

Only by redefining the block.  Just adding the attribute using AddAttribute icon will not do it.

Scott G. Sawdy
scott.sawdy@bluecoyotecad.com
Message 3 of 3
rob.loper63
in reply to: sonny3g

Thanks Sonny...Here is what I figured out...

I inserted a block or just copied the same block as the one I want to replace with the new updated attribute list.  
The newly copied (inserted) block was then exploded.  
I defined the new attributes that I wanted and placed them next to the other attributes.  
I created a new block with the old and new attributes and named it something very similar to the old block (like adding _2 to the name).  I made sure that the insertion point was the same as the old block.  
Then I went to Express tools and used the Replace Block command.  I selected the block to be replaced then the block with which to replace it (the dialogue box walks you through it).  I made sure that I purged the old original block name. 
I used the REN (rename) command to rename the newly created block with the _2 suffix added to the original name (that is why I needed to purge the old block name).
Then I used BATTMAN (block attribute manager command), selected the block that I was updating and hit Synch.  Now all of my blocks with that name had the updated attributes in them.

I have been reading in the forums to be careful with Synch and I think it has to do with positioning of the blocks.  I do make sure that all of my blocks are created with the insertion point at 0,0 in the block editor and that the new block also has the same inertion point (as they should because they are identical except for the newly added attributes).  

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost