AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding multiple catalog information to parts in the Icon Library

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
gtralt
573 Views, 1 Reply

Adding multiple catalog information to parts in the Icon Library

Is there a way to add parts to the the icon menu in ACADE 2010 with the catalog entries for multiple catalog parts? I'm trying to create icons that contain the catalog parts for assemblies that we use everyday to avoid having to manually enter the individual multiple catalog parts every time I select the icon. I know I can do this from the symbol builder but I can only enter one part number. An example of this would be a push button with the LED, base, holder, and the button catalog information in one schematic icon already. Is there a way to do this? 

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dougmcalexander
in reply to: gtralt

If I understand you correctly, you want an icon on the icon menu that inserts a symbol that is preloaded with main part and subassembly part(s) data. 

Normally we use the Assembly Code method to load subassembly items.  We insert the schematic symbol and click Lookup.  We will have predefined a master part and its related subassembly parts in the Catalog Database.  Once we click the master part number and it is assigned to the symbol, the Assembly Code is brought in from the Catalog as well.  When a BOM is created, Electrical sees that the master part has subassembly parts and it loads them all into the BOM report.  This is the automated way to link a master with its subassembly parts (i.e. relay, relay base, retainer spring).

If you know that you will always use the same part numbers for a particular schematic symbol, you could edit the symbol and add the subassembly parts into the master permanently. Anytime you insert this symbol, all part numbers will be pre-assigned.  This method makes use of the Multiple Catalog method, which also allows for a separate Item Number for each subassembly part.  This is what the optional attributes MFG01, CAT01, MFG02, CAT02, etc., that you see in the original version of Symbol Builder (versions 2008 and previous) are used for.

Customers who purchase my support plan have the option to learn via video or Webcast, where I have the ability to explain and demonstrate at the same time.  We can cover just about any topic you are interested in mastering, including how to make use of MFG01, CAT01. etc.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost