AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add layers to all drawing in project

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
888 Views, 5 Replies

Add layers to all drawing in project

Hi,
Is there a way to add/edit layers to all drawings in a project at once?
I am at the end of a project, and am assigning wire gauge/color. Since I don't have a list of gauges being used,
I am adding them as I go page by page. For this reason, it is impractical/impossible for me to include all the wire layers in my format.
It seems that I must add each new wire layer to each drawing
in the set individually. And (??? not sure) Design Center doesn't work in SDI. The end result is that it seems that I must add about 20 new layers to about fifteen drawings, one by one - or put about 100 mostly unnecessary layers into my standard layer set on my format.
Am I missing something?
Lynne
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
testsubject
in reply to: Anonymous

To simplify the process, I would create a script file that added all the layers you want to add to each file. Then all you haveto do its, open each file and run the script.

To help automate this I use a third party utility called Hurricane forAutoCAD which handles creating batch style scripts for all kinds of things AutoCAD related. With it, you tell it what drawings to run the script on and then just sit back and let it do its thing.

http://www.74mph.com

I hope this helps,

Robert Hanrahan
AE user since 97

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 6
MartinLee

The script file can be run project-wide or by selecting drawings within the project. Click Proj>Util, then on the right center of the dialog box check "Run comand script file", enter the script file name in the box and click OK. In the next dialog box select "Project" then click OK. The brings up the project drawing list where you can select the drawings or "Do All".
Message 4 of 6
testsubject

Thanks for the info Mike. I have been using Hurricane for a very long time and wasn't aware of the script running utility in AE. I have been using this software for 7 years and still find new things about it.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 5 of 6
jmburge

Does any one have the script file to do this?
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Here is one simple, brute-force way to do it. The idea is to define all your layers on a blank drawing and then insert this as an exploded block into each of your AcadE project drawings: 1. Create a new, blank drawing. Call it something like "standard_acade_layers.dwg". 2. On this drawing define all of your layers with desired colors, line fonts, plotting paramaters, etc. Don't put anything else on this drawing, leave it blank. Save it. 3. Create a small script file called "standard_acade_layers.scr" with these five lines: insert "*c://standard_acade_layers" 0,0 1.0 0 4. Run AcadE's "Project-wide" utilities. Select the "Run Script Command" toggle and browse to your script file in #3 above. Select all dwgs in your project and hit OK. Let it run. "HMS Controls" wrote in message news:15303643.1112327275381.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Does any one have the script file to do this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost