AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing AutoCAD Files on remote server...

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
deannaturner3788
562 Views, 1 Reply

Accessing AutoCAD Files on remote server...

I am experiencing extreem time delays in accessing AutoCAD files over an ethernet connection to a remote server.

My files are located on the remote server and my autoCAD is installed on my local PC.

We have ruled out problems with my local PC because another PC in the building is having the same issues.

When I explore in the Start Menu I experience these delays when scrolling through the AutoCAD files.

Is this an AutoCAD problem or a problem with my server connection?

Is this happening with anyone else?

Does anyone have a fix?

PLEASE HELP...I'm stuck at such a slow pace it's driving me nuts!!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

It sounds like you are describing network latency.  I run across a network at my office.  It is a bit slower than when you run all local, but it is necessary when you work as a team on the same projects, and you share catalog data.  But the slower speed is usually most noticeable when moving from drawing to drawing or executing a part number Lookup. Extreme delays (or freezes) are not characteristic, so I think you have a network issue.

I advise upgrading your network switches to 1Gb.  Most are 10/100Mb, but 1Gb is available now.  You will also need to upgrade the network interface card in the computers to 1Gb.  These are not very expensive.  If you are working wireless there are router/switches that perform at 300Mb wireless and 1Gb when connected via Ethernet cable.

Another thing to consider is just how much you are sharing across the network.  I suggest only sharing the AeData folder and all its sub-folders.  This takes care of the wd.env file, PLC data, Catalog data, and Projects.  Move the AeData folder to your network drive and add this path to the top of the Support File Search Path.  For more details about this approach, visit the Tips and Tricks page at www.ecadconsultant.com.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost