AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acade & Vault

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Saacke1
572 Views, 11 Replies

Acade & Vault

Does anyone use Acade & the Vault software together. I have just installed the Vault software, and wondered if their are any tips that any of you may have.

For example, is it best to use the zipped project in the vault software, or is it better to put every drawing in the vault?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Gaituuth
in reply to: Saacke1

We use AcadE & Vault together, it's advisable to use AcadE2007 and Vault 5, because 2006 can only check in/out the complete project, and all your versions are increased instead of the drawings which are modified.

Please put the complete project(Dwg's and WDP) in the Vault, If you use the projectmanager you can open a project from the Vault and check in a project.
Message 3 of 12
JeffatSJE

I'm still contemplating using the vault but I have a feeling it is still going through a lot of changes and would use up a lot of disk space. Curious are you storing just completed projects or work in progress?
Message 4 of 12
Saacke1

From what I understand you can have working projects stored locally on your hard drive and finished projects on a local server. The finished projects can be checked out and worked on by any user that has been set up by the administrator.

I started to look at it, but it needs some reading and planning. I have had a few problems with understanding how it works, so I would suggest that you set up a test vault and some test projects and try it.
Message 5 of 12
doctatrips

We use the Vault in conjunction ACADE. We store all projects in the Vault server, completed or in progress.

All completed projects are checked out by the vault admin (manager) so that they can't be edited without his permission.
Message 6 of 12
JeffatSJE

I would be more inclined to using the Vault as the data store for all our blocks and symbols along with their respective data sheets and our company standard specification work sheets. This would solve link issues but with out ACE database routines to read store and save to the vault this is most likely not going to happen.
Message 7 of 12
Gaituuth

We also use it for Work in progress projects but also we maintain the finished projects in it.

The part which can be improved in Vault is the storage of symbols and user circuits.

But for you start using the Vault in production please test it in "test" environment. You can configure Vault to store everything on a server. But standard the checked out projects are stored locally on your hard drive
Message 8 of 12
Justin2012
in reply to: Gaituuth

We are currently working on a Shared Network Drive in Autocad Electrical. One questions that has been holding me up:

This Shared Network Drive is NOT on my local C-Drive but on another company network drive. If I am not mistaken, it seems Vaults works ONLY with the C-Drive.

How can I make this Shared Network Drive (not C-DRIVE) to communicate with Vault in a Shared Network approach?

My advance thanks for any help

Message 9 of 12
Justin2012
in reply to: Justin2012

Any assistance with the above question? If it is not possible please also let me know.

Thanks

Message 10 of 12
algerj

Hi Justin,

Ok Time for Vault 101...errr not from Fallout...

The vault database and the file store exists on the Network allows it to be shared with everyone in your Company.

The database is SQL Driven and Does its own thing, the file store Stores all of the files that you check into the vault.

You actually don't work on the networked files, they remain locked and safe on your network.

As you add additional copies of the files you build a history for the file so you can revert back to an old version should something bad happen.

You "check out" a Local copy (stored in a C:Drive Location usually), that you can work on. 

Once you are done editing the file, you check the file back into the Vault (i.e.. Send it to the network location).

After that any one with access to the vault can see the updated Drawings in the vault Client. (or the vault addin Depending on what your looking at)

Since the Main file is basically locked on the network, the files are safe.

Only your admins can actually remove files and do a clean up but the average user CANNOT remove files.

I have setup a few AutoCAD Electrical Vaults.

Each of them was slightly different, but you can share ALMOST all of the data.

(anything marked as "TEMP" cannot be shared properly...)

So to Summarize:

The Vault exists on the network, but the copies you edit exist locally.

Let me know if you need more info on this,

Regards,

James Alger

Message 11 of 12
Justin2012
in reply to: algerj

Thanks for the response.

A couple of us are working off a shared network.It will be nice to track changes as we go.

I guess my question is, what steps will you take to link the secondary catalog and quick-pick list to Vault so when a change/addition is made you will know. 

Let me know....

Message 12 of 12
algerj

Hi Justin,

Normally you would be dependent on the Vault Client for seeing the changes to stored Libraries and catalogs.

It auto tracks the changes as versions when they are checked in.

Or you can have true revision control on higher levels of vault.

For some of our clients my company wrote code that auto-syncs the Libraries and stored files at the start of the day (or when they request an update via a programmed button).

Sadly I do not have that code... Even if I did its written in Vault API code... I'll be honest I sort of understand API coding but not enough to make the changes that would be required.

For now I would stick to the vault client for seeing the changes.

Or you could ask some of the guys on the Vault page (who know Vault API) for help writing a small update script.

I hope this helps,

James Alger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost