AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AESWAPBLOCK not working?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
CAD-ICE
1336 Views, 5 Replies

AESWAPBLOCK not working?

Hi there,

I´m suddenly experiencing some strange behaviour with ACADE2014. If I choose the AESWAPBLOCK" command  nothing happens...?

Any comments guy´s ?

Regards, Gary

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rwydesk500
in reply to: CAD-ICE

Make sure the Project containing the drawings you are trying to modify is the active Project. I've made that mistake before.

Regards,

Rick Yoerger

AutoCAD Electrical 2016
Message 3 of 6
midgystinner60
in reply to: rwydesk500

Hello,

I read your post about AESWAPBLOCK not working. I only use AC Electrical for this feature and use regular AutoCAD the rest of the time.

I don't understand your solution. Evidently ACE has a way to set up projects that I am not familiar with.

Thank you,

Paul Hicks

Manufacturing Engineer

John Deere Des Moines Works

hickspaul@johndeere.com

Message 4 of 6
Icemanau
in reply to: midgystinner60

If you are doing electrical dwgs, DO NOT use regular autocad commands in ACADE.

ACADE commands drive a database. This database holds data from all the inserted components, wires, wire number and the project/drawing settings.

Regular ACAD commands don't contain the commands to edit the data in the database.

This databse is termed a Project. It allows ACADE to tie multiple dwgs together and have blocks on one drawing to refer to blocks on another dwg (like a contact and relay coil).

Currently, only one project can be active (Focus of the ACADE commands) at a time however, you may have many projects open. It is also possible to have dwgs from multiple projects open as well as dwgs that are not even in a project.

the ACADE Swap Block command will work for plain ACAD blocks and dwgs that are not part of a project but works best when the dwg is part of an Electrical Project as this allows it to swap blocks on multiple dwgs if required rather than just the open dwg.

From CAD-ICE's question and the fact that they marked rwydesk500's reply as the solution it indicates that CAD-ICE was trying to use the function across multiple dwgs but the dwg he was trying to start from was not in the currently active project.

It is often suggested that newcomers to ACADE do a training course. The training courses go through all of this and show how to setup ACADE Projects/Dwgs as well as most of the standard ACADE functions.

You may wish to have a local reseller come out and give a demonstration on ACADE and depending on your factory, Inventor, Mechanical and other products that are available that may increase productivity.

Regards Brad

>

Brad Coleman, Electrical Draftsman
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
rwydesk500
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

Thanks for elaborating on my exceedingly brief answer. I agree with everything you just said, including the part about getting formal training. My company has been gracious enough to provide just that. I'm currently in training.

Regards,

Rick Yoerger

AutoCAD Electrical 2016
Message 6 of 6
midgystinner60
in reply to: Icemanau

Brad,

Thank you for the response and explanation. I did a reinstall,(not full unistall and reinstall) and it fixed the problem.

I only use Electrical for the AESWAPBLOCK command for updating parts bins on massive assembly lines and do not use it for any electrical drawings.

It would be much easier if Autodesk just added the command to regular Autocad.

I have Factory Design Suite on my computer and know Inventor and Navisworks pretty well.

I also worked for a consulting engineering firm for several years and have done many mechanical projects in Revit MEP and now have Revit Architectural on my computer for working with Revit models from outside my company.

Thanks to everyone that responded, it is really appreciated and now I know what I am dealing with.

Sincerely,

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost