AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADE 2013 - Symbol Builder Attribute Editor - multiple terminals symbol

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
chris61886
2053 Views, 6 Replies

ACADE 2013 - Symbol Builder Attribute Editor - multiple terminals symbol

Hello all,

I am trying to develop some new working procedures for my company and would like to know if/how a smart block can be made. Essentially what I am trying to accomplish is having more than one terminal block on a custom symbol.

I am trying to lay out pins with specific locations on an FPGA, relay boards, etc. But I can't seem to figure out how I make each terminal or terminal group independent of one another. Is this possible??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
testsubject
in reply to: chris61886

I do not know if this might help but here is the wiki on using Symbol Builder.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACAD_E/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesACD/GUID-DB55FE5C-6B51-40AE-AE3D-4C3A28...

Maybe if you provide a "dumb" dwg showing what you are trying to accomplish, we can give you a more detailed guide on how to do what you are trying to do.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
If this answered your question, please click on "Accept Solution"
Message 3 of 7
chris61886
in reply to: testsubject

Thanks for getting back to me!

Attached is a stripped down example. I have a power supply board with multiple I/O terminals. Ideally I would like to create a block which is defined as the power supply board, which contains "smart" I/O terminals. Meaning I can address them, give them locations, user defined attributes, etc.

Hopefully I am explaining this properly, but please let me know if my question is unclear. Thank you for your time!

Message 4 of 7
testsubject

All those things should be doable.

All symbols are comprised of objects like lines, circles, text, and attributes. When creating a symbol, place all object on layer 0 with your basepoint (insertion point for the symbol ) at 0,0.

I would help you set it up but do not have that much time available. I would recommend start small. Create just a portion of the board to prove out how to create the symbol. Do not add wires to the symbol; that is where you would use cable markers to give you the ability to assign part numbers for the cable attached to the jack.

If the Plug/Jack combinations will not change then set the attributes for htose items to be equal to the values you want them to be. If you want to be able to do a Wire To/From Report, each terminal will need to include the jack number in it (i.e., if the attribute for J7 Pin 1 is TERM01, then it's default value would be something like J7:1).

For the wire connections, use X4TERM## for the left terminations and X1Term## for the right terminations.

Make sure the the X#Term##s have their insertion points on a line or they do not work well.

I would recommend opening up some of the existing symbols and see how they are constructed. It is pretty simple once you understand it. From there you should be able to build your own.

Refer to the wiki I posted. Therre is a lot of good info there.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 5 of 7
chris61886

I'm with you for the most part. I re-attached the first attempt at this. I am able to insert a custom symbol and define it within the new symbol I am creating. I am also able to define connection points with the XTERM etc.

Here is the problem. I have a board, PS1, with two terminal points, P1 & P2. When I run a From/To report, I want to see From PS1_P1 Pin 1, 2, 3, etc. rather than just PS1 pin 1. It needs to be a little more detailed. The pins I inserted all have attribute locations, saved within the block symbol PS1 (aka TEST).

Also, the wiki page you sent directs me to the script help area of the autocad electrical support guide. Was this intended, because I have not found any value added symbol builder help anywhere.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7
testsubject

Chris,

Firast thing, sorry about the wrong link. I was working on two different problems and you got the wrong link.

Here is the correct link:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACAD_E/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesACD/GUID-DB55FE5C-6B51-40AE-AE3D-4C3A28...

Here is an updated copy of EX.dwg with a modified version of TEST.dwg.

Look at the TEST.DWG to see how I changed it. As I mentioned in the previous post, you will need to hardcode the Port Number within the TERM## attribute to be able to have it show up in the Wire To/From Reports. As far as I know, there is no way to have ACE create the terrminal value you are looking for (one attribute equaling P1 and another attribute equaling 1 concatinated together).

I just want to say that what I propose is not the right way but just one way that I would do it.

I hope this helps.

Bob Hanrahan
Ace User since 1998
Message 7 of 7
chris61886

Bob,

Sorry for the delay, but I have a few more questions. I have been able to create these smart blocks by hard coding the point connections as you suggested. I need to continue making this thing smarter, by adding attributes to each pin. These attributes will be a wire connector part #, connector housing part #, lengths, etc. I have been trying to add this to our block, but have been unsuccessful thus far.

On another note, on the From/To report I am have trouble with which device is listed first. How do I define From this device To this device? As of right now I have to use the Swap function everytime I run a report.

Thanks!

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost