AutoCAD Electrical General

Active Contributor
bludwitzke
Message 11 of 23 (654 Views)

Re: ACADE 2011 Catalog lookup slow or not responding; MISC_CAT not accessible.

04-26-2010 12:51 PM in reply to: bludwitzke
Updated information regarding slow data base access.

The problem came back even after we moved the data base and shorted the directory path. It seems the problem is related to sharing the database and not so much the length of the directory path. I was able to test this theory by moving the file after we noticed it was loading slow; this time moving it back down a directory level. The result was a fast load time. As soon as we changed the catalog lookup path in the wd.env file and my fellow ACADE user started using ACADE again the catalog load time went back to its oh so long load time. As long as only one user is using the catalog database file there is no problem. I should note that this problem doesn't exist in ACADE 2010. I'm guessing the way 2011 handles opening the database has changed from 2010 based on the new interface, so maybe Autodesk can tweak their code and fix this.
Contributor
Brian.Li
Message 12 of 23 (654 Views)

04-28-2010 02:19 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
Hi,
We are unable to reproduce the issue at our side and can you please give more information about the network you are working on? Also your working project and database would be helpful to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Brian
Autodesk QA Engineer
Active Contributor
bludwitzke
Message 13 of 23 (654 Views)

04-28-2010 07:12 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
We are currently running on Widows Server 2003.

I noticed a .ldb file that may be corrupted, for what ever reason, could this have and impact on the accessing speed? Even with all ACADE users shut down this file can't be deleted form the server. The network administrator told be he has to wait till after hours to delete it.

Who can I email the project and database to? I believe I already emailed a zip file to Pat Murnen.
*Pat Murnen \(Autodesk\)
Message 14 of 23 (654 Views)

04-28-2010 10:04 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
I will forward the files you sent to me on to Brian.

Pat Murnen

wrote in message
news:6381990@discussion.autodesk.com...
We are currently running on Widows Server 2003.

I noticed a .ldb file that may be corrupted, for what ever reason, could
this have and impact on the accessing speed? Even with all ACADE users shut
down this file can't be deleted form the server. The network administrator
told be he has to wait till after hours to delete it.

Who can I email the project and database to? I believe I already emailed a
zip file to Pat Murnen.
Contributor
Brian.Li
Message 15 of 23 (654 Views)

05-05-2010 01:53 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply as I just come back from vacation.
I am using the data got from Pat but still can't reproduce it, I will continue to research this but maybe need more time, will update if get some clues.

Thanks,
Brian
Active Contributor
bludwitzke
Message 16 of 23 (654 Views)

05-05-2010 06:53 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
Brian,

I don't know if you saw my other post on this subject, but we have determined the slow responding database has something to do with sharing the file. The access time was very quick when I first moved the database file to a new folder and then as soon as it was shared for the first time the access time increased 10 fold. We have a .ldb file that we can't delete and is presumably supposed to automatically be deleted when the database is closed. Could this file be at fault? I talked to our network administrator to see if we had full access for read, write, and modify and everything checked out. Our network administrator couldn't delete this file either during normal work hours because he would have to reboot the server to do so. He was supposed to delete it after hours but it never happened, so I will have to remind him again. I know there is some explanation for what is causing this slow access time but that is yet to be determined.

Bruce
Contributor
Brian.Li
Message 17 of 23 (654 Views)

05-07-2010 02:43 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
Hi Bruce,

The .ldb file only appears when I click on Lookup button; It will disappear automatically/immediately after the "Parts Catalog" dialog is fully launched. Do you have the specific method to let it retain there?

Thanks,
Brian
Active Contributor
bludwitzke
Message 18 of 23 (654 Views)

05-07-2010 06:02 AM in reply to: bludwitzke
Brian,

No we do not have any specific method for retaining the .ldb file that I know of anyway. As far as I know it may have not been automatically deleted while ACADE crashed while accessing the catalog database. Then it was forever stuck there.

I made a new discovery today by running a test with a coworker. Right now where we have database file located the .ldb file comes and goes as it is supposed to. Accessing catalog data is fast when one person at a time is accessing the data base, but once one person open the Lookup dialog box then the second person will encounter a slow opening when the .ldb file exist. We repeated the a couple of time. So long as one person is using the catalog access time is very fast. If the network chokes for some reason and the .ldb file isn't deleted then it gets stuck permanently until we can have the network administrator delete it. Interesting enough we have the same problem with .dwg file creating a a .dwl file. Sometime while loading a .dwg file from the network ACADE will lock up (could just be the network and not ACADE) and the lock file becomes a permanent addition to the file folder.

It should be noted that ACADE 2010 behavior is different under these same circumstances. Even when the .ldb file exists access time doesn't seem to slow down with multiple users. Although we only tested this with two users. ACADE 2011 however suffers the slow access.

I hope you can make good use of the new information. I'm going to be talking to our network administrator to see if he can shed some light on what might cause a file to freeze up while loading..

Bruce
Active Contributor
1metadata
Message 19 of 23 (564 Views)

12-23-2010 12:02 AM in reply to: bludwitzke

how to make by default the lookup will refer to my desired location/folder?

*Expert Elite*
dougmcalexander
Message 20 of 23 (548 Views)

12-23-2010 07:57 PM in reply to: bludwitzke

If the .ldb file cannot be deleted it usually means that someone is accessing the database.  Are you unable to delete it even with all AutoCAD Electrical PCs turned off.  That will be a sure way to determine whether it is a network issue or AutoCAD Electrical, or simply another user accessing the file  In fact, I find that with version 2011 the .ldb file appears only temporarily after I click Lookup.

Doug McAlexander
Independent Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical, ecscad, and promis-e implementation

Web site: www.ECADConsultant.com
Phone: (770) 841-8009

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Kudos are also much appreciated.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Manufacturing Community
The Manufacturing Community provides additional access to tips, tutorials, blogs and networking with peers.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New AutoCAD Electrical Category!

The AutoCAD Electrical forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community