AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 SP1 - can't customize ribbon

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
snew17
756 Views, 4 Replies

2015 SP1 - can't customize ribbon

I can't customize my ribbon after installing SP1. Is anyone else seeing this condition?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dougmcalexander
in reply to: snew17

I've not had any issues with CUI and SP1.  I had the beta installed.  I uninstalled beta and installed the official SP1 and CUI works as expected.  Perhaps try rolling it back and test it.  Then reinstall the service pack.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 5
snew17
in reply to: dougmcalexander

Thanks Doug for checking this out. I uninstalled SP1 and the same results, I couldn't customise the ribbon. Something I have done along the way working on the env file problem has most likely changed something that can't be recovered. I do have a copy of my original machine that I will go back to and start the process all over.

Message 4 of 5
dougmcalexander

It's good that you have a backup.  You might also try the Repair option via Windows Control Panel.

I caution new users, and old users, about "tweaking" the wd.env file.  There is normally very little that needs to be done to this file.  Many new users think it is necessary to hack this file in order to share data on a network.  This is not accurate.  To network the software, simply move the AeData folder, with all its subfolders intact, to the network.  Add this path to the top of the Options>Files>Support File Search Path.  

Note: If you copied the AeData folder, rename the local one to AeData_local, so the software cannot find the local one.  The software will find PLC modules, databases, and project data the same as it did when they were on the local disk.

The symbol and menu paths can be assigned in Project Properties.  If you do move the symbol folders and menu files to the network, then yes, you can edit the wd.env file to point to the new path when the Default button is pressed.  But this is still optional, since you can assign the library and menu paths in Project Properties and each time this project is copied, the paths copy with it.

I find many issues associated with hacks to the wd.env file, many of which weren't truly necessary.  People have the wrong impresson that in order to share the data on the network, heavy editing is necessary in the wd.env.  This is just not true.  Keep it simple.

Hint: If you move the AeData folder and its subfolders to the network, and point every user to this location in their Support File Search Path, you will all share the same wd.env file, so one of you can edit this file as an administrator and everyone else benefits.  You do not have to go to each computer and edit their individual wd.env file.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 5 of 5
snew17

I ran into the same problem once again after I reloaded 2015 from scratch. It worked OK for a couple of days but then I could no longer add custom items to the ribbon. I don't know why it happened again, but the solution for me was to delete the customized workspace I had created, add a new custom workspace, put the tabs back in place and I was good to go. Who knows what is causing this to happen but at least this is a simple workaround that only takes 5 minutes to implement.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost