AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Speed

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
250 Views, 7 Replies

2006 Speed

I purchased autocad electrical sometime ago. Not yet using it to its full potential though. I noticed how slow 2006 was the last time I used it. I went straight back to 2005. Does anyone else have the same problem. If so is there a way to solve it. I have Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Many Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

ARE YOU REFERRING TO THE SPEED TO SWITCH FROM ONE DRAWING TO ANOTHER? THAT IS WHERE I HAVE NOTICED IT MOST. ACADE 2006 SEEMS TO SHIP WITH THE SDI SYSTEM VARIABLE (SINGLE DOCUMENT INTERFACE) SET TO ZERO, UNLIKE PREVIOUS VERSIONS. IF YOU SET THIS TO 1, IT WILL GREATLY SPEED UP THE TRANSITION, BUT LIKE EARLIER VERSIONS, YOU WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO HAVE ONE DRAWING OPEN AT A TIME. THIS ONE CHANGE HAS ALLOWED ME CONTINUE USING ACADE 2006 WITH LESS PAIN. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Yes I was referring to the switching to and from drawings. I have set the SDI to 1, but strangely still can have more than one drawing open with no difference whatsoever in the speed of flicking between them.

Thanks Anyway.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

If you have multiple dwgs open at the time you try to switch to SDI mode (by
typing SDI at command line and changing value from 0 to 1), the setting will
not "stick". Make sure that you have just a single dwg file open when you
type in this command.

wrote in message news:4955670@discussion.autodesk.com...
Yes I was referring to the switching to and from drawings. I have set the
SDI to 1, but strangely still can have more than one drawing open with no
difference whatsoever in the speed of flicking between them.

Thanks Anyway.
Message 5 of 8
dougmcalexander

I am running ACADE 2006 with an HP zd8230 laptop and have no problems whatsoever with changing drawings, even in MDI mode, with multiple drawings open. This laptop has 1GB of RAM, 128MB of video DRAM, and a 3.4 GHz Pentium 4. But I also have a Compaq R3000 with 512MB of RAM, shared video (leaving 384 MB of RAM for programs) and a 2.8GHz Pentium 4. It also has no problem with ACADE 2006 in MDI mode. I suspect that the new version of ACADE requires a bit more power. Not unlike Windows itself, which requires more and more computing power with each rendition. I remember when 64MB of RAM was unbelievable and a 528MB hard drive was HUGE. I even remember having a 286 at 12 MHz with 640K of RAM and a 10MB hard drive. I'm getting old for sure.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Yes but Doug, do you remember the IBM XT with 2 5.25 floppy drives and when Atari produced a "CAD" (basic line and shape) program?
8-)

and yes.....I have been around awhile.

Marty
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Well guys, I remember starting off with an AMSTRAD PC1512, here in the UK. Two 5 1/4 floppies, and 512K RAM. No hard disk. We added a 10MD HardCard - a disk on an ISA slot card. Only this week I was looking at my miniscule 256MB USB memory key, and telling my young son about the HardCard that was the size of a house brick. Ah, the good old days...
Message 8 of 8
dougmcalexander

My 286/12 had a 5.25" floppy drive. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when the IT guy installed a 2nd 20MB hard-drive so I could store more data locally. I was in the electronics industry using a program called OrCAD. Until ECAD programs like AutoCAD Electrical came along I actually used OrCAD to create controls schematics (yes I made control symbols in OrCAD). I would then DXF into AutoCAD to join the schematic with the panel layout, so everything printed out on the same border. My monitor had one color, amber. We have come so far since then. That's why I don't sweat the small stuff when we run into a bug every once in a while with ACADE. Besides there are as many as 3-4 different ways to accomplish the same thing with ACADE, so a minor bug in one tool is no big deal. Hey it's software. Bill Gates is the richest man in the world with an imperfect operating system. And ACADE has to run inside that operating system and be bullet-proof against any errors the operating system might induce. I think it's absolutely amazing what ACADE ca do under those conditions. I just hope they don' make the software so good that I am no longer needed (Ha! Ha!). Well, it was great going down memory lane with you guys.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost