AutoCAD Electrical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Electrical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Electrical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

07 keeping wires wires

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tachappy
160 Views, 2 Replies

07 keeping wires wires

I am working with Autocad Electrical 07 and I am running into a problem where my wires end up on the layer they connect to. This is not usually a problem when using all autocad electrical components but my company uses many old blocks that arent worth changing and we work with many old schematics. I was wondering if there is a way to lock all new wires on the wire layer. It is probably a simple setting I am missing but any help would be great, very busy here. I just got used to 06 and I think I am going back to it for now. This is just one of many problems I have run into.

Thanks,
Tim

(Cant wait for a service pack!)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: tachappy

ACE will assume when you connect a wire to an existing wire network that the new wire should be the same type. If you run a wire in free space, ACE will automatically place it on the layer that is set current. If you go to the layers tool and select one layer to be the current layer, this layer becomes the default. You can also click on the wire spool flyout menu and select Create/Edit Wire Type to choose a wire type to become the default. Just select the wire type and click on Mark Selected As Default. However, ACE will override this setting if you connect a new wire to an existing wire network. The new wire will match the existing. Here is a trick though. Set your default wire type to your choice. After you connect a new wire to an existing wire network that does not match your default and the new wire changes to the existing wire's layer, press the ESC key on your keyboard. This will revert the new wire segment back to default. I personally like how ACE automatically assigns a new wire to the layer of any network I connect it to, but if you are intentionally connecting two different wire types to the same network, the aforementioned procedure should get you where you want to go. One other note: It sounds like you are using node dots. In reality you are really not "splicing" a new wire into another wire. I mean you're not stripping back insulation and soldering a new wire to the midpoint of another wire. You are most likely connecting the new wire to a component on the existing wire network. Just click the wire spool and then click on one of the terminal pins of the existing component. ACE will automatically use an angled wire to connect to the component. Run the other end of the wire where you wish but connect to another component or leave it hanging for the moment. Do not connect in the middle of another wire network, which generates a dot. This new wire will automatically be assigned to the default wire type. This is also the most accurate representation of the "as built" when someone has to troubleshoot sometime in the future. The schematic will exactly match the way the machine is wired. Not only that, your from/to list will be correct without having to assign a wire sequence.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.
Message 3 of 3
dougmcalexander
in reply to: tachappy

Correction: Click UNDO after inserting the new wire segment, not ESC.

Doug McAlexander

Design Engineer/Consultant/Instructor/Mentor specializing in AutoCAD Electrical training and implementation support

Phone and Web-based Support Plans Available

Phone: (770) 841-8009

www.linkedin.com/in/doug-mcalexander-1a77623

Please Accept as Solution if I helped you. Likes are also much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost