Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create sample line delay

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
granite07
860 Views, 4 Replies

create sample line delay

After creating a sample line from corridor stations, pressing OK then Enter there is then long 5-minute delay before the new sample line appears in the toolspace alignment sample line group  - is this normal?

• only the relevant sample sources are selected
  • sample line tool 'create sample line group' is used
  • this Civil 3D corridor model has 77 sample lines each about 100 meters long with an 8m interval
Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
granite07
in reply to: granite07

Talked by email with someone that uses C3D more and they confirmed that yes the delay is normal.

The intuition - the sample line is dynamic, so each time a sample line is created all the existing sample lines are rebuilt even if there has been no change. So, once a couple sample lines are made things start to slow down. The solution is to create static items. The problem with this is there is not a universal static/dynamic toggle; if the toolspace settings are changed so each new sampleLine is static by default then I'd have to parse through all the sampleLines to change it back to dynamic. This eliminates the ability to update the model as the project progresses propagating new quantities through the integrated model - not a good idea theoretically.

Another possible solution is XREF the model and data shortcut the alignments into the new drawings and then create the sample lines in the new drawings. The problem is now there are a bunch of drawings to take care of - maybe mitigating the improved times.

Observed - the delay 'refreshes' when I move to a new site, starting with a fast sampleLine time then slows after a couple sampleLines are created.

Message 3 of 5
granite07

found an alternative approch to sample line delay - re-tuned my machine; not sure if this is an option for everyone but it worked for me

It was already running at

3.7Ghz and memory timings 7-8-7-24-35-1T 3/8 548.5 w/ corsair PC3-8500F (533Mhz)

on tune

3.9Ghz and memory timings 9-9-9-24-35-2T 3/10 722.4 w/ the same memory

I think the improvement came in memory, I think the machine was tuned for fast response at the expense of speed and it looks like the Sample Line function likes speed over response.

Message 4 of 5
granite07

After changing the memory timings the sampleLine task was done in a few minutes after taking days to complete sampleLines at 5minutes each; then getting distracted for 10minutes. But, when I returned to the corridors to correct several surface name mistakes, i found that in that function the machine is again slow. It looks like sampleLines wants faster memory at the expense of response time and corridors wants faster response at the expense of speed.

for just the sample lines it was not much to restart and change the BIOS setting and I will no go back and change them back, but this would get old in a high production environment. I have seen tuning profiles that are invoked (these are not BIOS changes but use less desirable approaches to changing tuning parameters) for specific function calls but have not tested these - is anyone else using these tuning applications?

Message 5 of 5
consultora

I have the same problem.

Im using a Dell Precition T1500 quad core with 8gb ram.

The procesors are using less than 30%, and the ram less than 3Gb.

This is not a hardware limitation, i think is a bug, a loop in the code.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report