Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition between assemblies

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
23254 Views, 12 Replies

Transition between assemblies

How do you create a gradual transition between your assemblies on your road corridor? I have a crowned assembly in one of my regions and then one that slopes 2% accross the entire road surface in another region, but where they meet it is an abrupt transition. I need it to be gradual over 75 feet.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Civil3DReminders_com
in reply to: Anonymous

Superelevation and a subassembly which gets it's slope from the superelevation.

Christopher
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

start the second assembly 75 feet from the end of the first?

Joe
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Joe's suggestion does work in some cases. The corridor will connect the gap
between the assemblies with breaklines. Give it a try. If it doesn't connect
the gap the way you like, you can play with the settings for how the
corridor connects point codes between assemblies.

"Joe Bouza" wrote in message
news:6317385@discussion.autodesk.com...
start the second assembly 75 feet from the end of the first?

Joe
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Neil's warning is correct particularly in the vicinity of a vertical should
be avoided.

Joe
Message 6 of 13
klugb

If you are using a subassembly that allows it you can create a profile to control the ETW. This gets a little tricky if you have any horizontal widening though.
Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

I'm trying to do the same thing - gradual transition from a crowned roadway to one with superelevation, along a curve.  Leaving a gap connects the two regions with straight lines.  How do I get the transition to follow along the curve of the alignment?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 13
Joe-Bouza

My suggestion was predicated on the region being straight and no vertical curve.

In a curve you probably should use super elevation. I never bother myself since most of the work I do would require any SE. But I have used the caveman method to do a transition every so often.

create your corridor with the two assemblies and leave a gap the length you want to transition

Then create a profile from the eop feature line of corridor

the profile will more than likely come in broken due to the gap in the corridor - no matter - use it to develop the eop profile. If there is a gap, all the better, connecting the two will give you the transition rate over L to get to 2%. Same process for the other side.

Once you are done you no longer need the 2% assembly - run the normal crown the whole way and target the eop profiles developed from the first run. Note in the region of the curve(s) you will want to make frequency closer.  This thesis also assumes you are using a outsideSuper pavement sub or any that will let you target the ETW

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
Neilw_05

You can also achieve the transition by means of a featureline snapped to the ends of the assemblies on the ends of the transition. It can be a curved featureline or polyline, but a featureline should automatically adjust to the elevations of the corridor when edited. Use the featureline as a vertical target for the corridor assembly through the transition, making sure the assembly can follow a target..

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Neilw_05

Using polylines as targets resolved the issue.  Thanks for all the help!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

can you explain how to do transition corridor between two
Message 12 of 13
jmayo-EE

Try making an assembly for the transition that has marked points placed on the ends of a linkwidthandslope to target the ETW L&R. The linkwidthandslope should be configured to not display the link so only the marked points connect.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
BrianBenton
in reply to: jmayo-EE

How do you target the ETW? There is nothing there to target? I have a case where I have an inverted crown transitioning to a typical crowned road. It's difficult because the alignment is on a curve that goes into a reverse curve so just leaving a gap between assemblies doesn't do it. 

Brian C. Benton

bbenton@cad-a-blog.com
http://CAD-a-Blog.com
twitter.com/bcbenton
www.facebook.com/CADaBlog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report