Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Basejump for AutoCAD Civil 3D Now Available on Autodesk Labs

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
scott.sheppard
5831 Views, 19 Replies

Project Basejump for AutoCAD Civil 3D Now Available on Autodesk Labs

Project Basejump is a free technology preview on Autodesk Labs:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/basejump/

You can try inserting from Bing as a base layer in your AutoCAD Civil 3D drawings. Please try it and reply to this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
neilyj666
in reply to: scott.sheppard

This looks awesome - much slicker than Google Earth. I hope the same fate does not befall this Labs preview (and that it extends longer than June)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 20

Very cool! It's pretty slick and pretty quick. Here's an image of my house for those of you wondering about resolution. It's probably better in the major cities: http://screencast.com/t/Qou2BBZau2

Yup, it's better in the major cities (here's the middle of Denver): http://screencast.com/t/K85ndAvSw 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 20
neilyj666

Whilst I'm very quick to criticise Autodesk for the many shortcomings in Civil 3D, I'll also be quick to say that this preview is very impressive and a much better user experience than the Google Earth method.

The aerial photos are very quick to load and refresh when panning and zooming presumably due to the use of Map data connections.

I'd guess when the lab period is over it'll (eventually) be issued as a Subscription Pack and will be in the 2014 product....although given that Google Earth was built in and has been removed leaving many users "stranded", will Autodesk do the decent thing and make the final product of this preview available to all users as a Service Pack addition??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 20

Can we access only imagery or are there also elevation data ?

Message 6 of 20
BrianHailey
in reply to: reto.lechmann

With the way the tool currently exists we can only access imagery. Even if it could access the elevation data, it's connecting via FDO and Civil 3D can't use FDO data in a surface, at least currently.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 20
Buzz12345

A couple of questions regarding this new tool:

BING LICENCING

The Microsoft terms of use (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9710837) state that "Bing Maps and MapPoint Web Service is for your individual use, solely for internal use by you for your business".  

A Google Earth Pro licence appeared to give us the right to use the google aerials in our plans distributed to clients, but the Bing one is a bit more restrictive.  So, you could use Bing Maps during design, but not in the final plans?

TRANSPARENCY

The other thing I'm a bit nervous about is that transparency controls on FDO connections aren't as simple as those for images inserted via Mapiinsert, and I think they don't apply when you print (refer here: http://map3d.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/transparency-of-images/).

Any pointers on these issues would be great.

Michael

Michael
AEC Collection - Civil3D 2023 & Infraworks 2023
www.foxsurvey.co.nz
Message 8 of 20
Sinc
in reply to: Buzz12345

I agree...  Microsoft's terms of usage are troublesome.

But then again, I NEVER trust this sort of data for any real usage, and would ONLY ever use it for preliminary "guestimates".  Once a project is really going forward, I would expect a real Design Survey to be done.  So it may work out...  You can use this plugin for some preliminary "guestimates", then "get real" at some point.

I'm kind of amazed, though, that Microsoft is the one allowing this, when Google was the one who was supposed to "do no evil"...  And of course, both sources are mearly repackaging free sources of data (available from places like http://seamless.usgs.gov/) while claiming proprietary rights, which is the other troubling aspect.

Sinc
Message 9 of 20
neilyj666
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

I agree...  Microsoft's terms of usage are troublesome.

But then again, I NEVER trust this sort of data for any real usage, and would ONLY ever use it for preliminary "guestimates".  Once a project is really going forward, I would expect a real Design Survey to be done.  So it may work out...  You can use this plugin for some preliminary "guestimates", then "get real" at some point.

I'm kind of amazed, though, that Microsoft is the one allowing this, when Google was the one who was supposed to "do no evil"...  And of course, both sources are mearly repackaging free sources of data (available from places like http://seamless.usgs.gov/) while claiming proprietary rights, which is the other troubling aspect.

Totally endorse this - these data sets should never be used as a substitute for a "real" survey.

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
ksorsby
in reply to: neilyj666

Morning all.

What's the likelihood of this working in 2012?

Kevin

Message 11 of 20
dasindog

This is great! Much more user friendly than GE and so far more stable. I've always had issues with how we had to interface with GE. Thanks for putting this together. I hope that it can be integrated in the Civil 3d and Map products.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 12 of 20

Kevin, 

did you ever get any feedback on this working in 2012

Message 13 of 20
gunnarl
in reply to: dasindog

I just tried to install on a computer with Civil 3d 2012 being the only autodesk product installed and "Setup was unable to detect target applications..." So i would say no, this doesn't work with 2012. It's appears to only install over the 2013 products.

Message 14 of 20
fusi

Hi

I have install it on Autodesk Civil 2013...work just smooth...altought I am wondering why I cant get a the right map in to my drawing. I am working in Denmark and tryed to insert from bing into two of my project. I got the same map in... a big piece of Norway and small part of Denmark up north. The drawings are in UTM32N and the insertet map seems to be in correct place...but wrong map!!! And when I zoom in it is useless under 2km altitude. 

For now I can se no reason to upgrade to 2013 from 2012.

regardsa

Sigfus

Message 15 of 20
ksorsby
in reply to: fusi

Thats a good point Sigfus.

We aren't upgrading to 2013 as I'm lead to believe there isn't much reason to - or are we wrong? Is this additional lab feature worth upgrading for?

Kevin

Message 16 of 20
BrianHailey
in reply to: ksorsby

A lab feature should never be considered as an upgrade reason because it very well could go away. If you look at the project home page, you'll see the technology expires June 30, 2012 so there's no guarantee it will continue beyond that point.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 17 of 20
fusi

If this project wont continue there will be no reason for us to upgrade

Sigfus

Sloth-Møller A/S

Message 18 of 20

The team is only collecting feedback from the 2013 users.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/basejump/supported_apps/

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 20

Very nice work.

At home, after an issue with my firewall (zone alarm) blocking acad.exe's access to the internet even though it was showing otherwise, setup and use was very easy.

At work, I could not get it to run due to our proxy server. Can you please look at supporting proxy servers requiring usernames and password in future (assuming further development occurs)?

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 20 of 20
neilyj666

None....!

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report