Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with realistic view. Help!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1470 Views, 13 Replies

Problem with realistic view. Help!

this is my c3d using 2d wireframe view.

2d wireframe view.jpg

and, this is 3d realistic view. that so bad. rite? 😞

realistic view.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
gjrcmb
in reply to: Anonymous

From what I can tell it looks like the Boundary for the Existing Ground Surface and/or the Boundary for the Corridor Surface has not been setup correctly.  I believe it is probably the existing ground, but hard to tell exactly from the image.  Once again I am going to refer you to the tutorials.

The first tutorial I am referencing is applicable to creating an existing ground surface boundary, but it would probably be good to go through all four exercises as opposed to just Exercise 4 referenced below:

Exercise 4 - Adding an Outer Boundary to a Surface

The next tutorial is more applicable to the corridor design surface boundary, and once again it would probably be good to go through all three exercises as opposed to just Exercise 2 referenced below:

Exercise 2: Creating Corridor Surface Boundaries

Hopefully that will help,

Message 3 of 14
AllenJessup

What does the Surface look like if displayed as Triangles?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

@gjrcmb

I have done surface & corridors boundaries, but still same result. 😞

.......................................................................................................................................

@AlienJessup

this is my triangle surface view.

triangle.jpg

Message 5 of 14
jmayo-EE

Is this the 09 version?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@johnm

no, it's civil 3d 2012 🙂 do me a favour. 🙂

Message 7 of 14
gjrcmb

Hard to tell what is going on.  Can you post the drawing?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: gjrcmb

@gjrcmb

sorry, i'm cannot attact here.

the file is to large

can you give me your emel?

so can i sent you via emel 🙂

Message 9 of 14
Jeff_M

Just to show that the OP is not alone.... This is an ObjectView of a corridor I'm working on. Note all the strange shoots heading for 0,0,0. They all appear to be starting along the daylight lines. If you look close, there are other daylight slopes that have no hatching on them. This is using the Conceptual VS, the Realistic has the same issue.

Corridor shoots.png

And here is the surface created by the same corridor, note the anomolies are not existent here:

corridor surface.png

This drawing is ~40mb so cannot attach. I'm stumped as to what may be causing this.

C3D2012 SP1 Win 7 x64 12gb

Occurs on 2 pc's, one with an un-certified nVidia geforce, the other with a certified nVidia Quadro.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M

yes, you got the same problem 🙂

Message 11 of 14
gjrcmb

I remember running into the same issue when I had a corridor with subassemblies that were being transitioned across the baseline for say a left turn widening.  This would result in a discontinuity in the feature lines at the locations where the feature lines crossed the baseline.  Your situations do not appear to be the exact same issue, but I do recall the lines shooting off towards 0,0,0.  When you look at the corridor feature lines in the suspect areas do you see discontinuities in the feature lines?  In the corridor properties try turning off (unchecking) the feature lines that are correspond to subgrade subassembly points (Corridor Properties > Feature Lines tab) that are not needed for the top surface.  I'll keep looking into this and let you know if I find anything else.

Message 12 of 14
gjrcmb

See following post:

C3D Corridor Glitch - Adding Render Material to Codes - Lines Appear to Infinity

Based on that posting, I was able to recreate what you both are seeing by applying a render material to the links in my Code Set Style.  After looking at it a bit more, I can see that the problem occurs in my situation where one assembly ends and another begins or I have a median cross over as described earlier.  So I don't really need to look at your files, since I essentially recreated the situation.  In both of these situations the corridor feature lines shoot off to 0,0,0 when viewing in 3D only.  So I am looking into whether there is some way to resolve the feature line issue.  As far as what I previously indicated, turning off the subgrade feature lines will obviously not resolve the issue for feature lines on the top surface.

Possible workaround.  What I did previously when I ran into this problem, was to create a 3D view using surfaces instead of corridors.  I did this by opening a new file and creating a data shortcut to my existing ground and design surfaces, and then applying rendering materials to those two surfaces.  If you are wanting to display different rendering materials for different roadway features you do have the option of creating separate surfaces for each corridor link via the Corridor Properties > Surfaces tab.  An issue with this approach is where your design surface is in cut, the 3D display will not show your design roadway.  So to get around that one you actually need to paste your design surfaces onto a copy of your original ground surface.

Message 13 of 14
gjrcmb

Can't seem to come up with a way to resolve the feature line issues I am seeing. Smiley Frustrated  Whether that is what you two are experiencing I can't say, but I suspect it is.  I think you may need to go with the workaround I suggested in my last post if you are needing to present your roadways in 3D.  Unless someone else has a solution or better idea?

Message 14 of 14
Jeff_M

In the corridor I showed, there are only 3 different assemblies, 2 for intersections and the other for the remainder. So, for me, it's not a transition issue. It seems to happen more where the daylight transitions from cut to fill and back, but it does occur other places too. I get the same results with, or without, all featurelines off.

Right now, this is just a conceptual plan for a racetrack, 2.5 miles in length. There are a number of infield areas, so trying to get surfaces of all the different materials will be painstakingly slow and tedious...and not worth it at this point. I showed the contractor a quick movie made with the Drive command...even with the anomolies he was sufficiently impressed. I just hope this gets corrected before it's time to do the final drawings & presentation. 

Next weekend I will probably make up a small sample to submit with a support ticket.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report