Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot Scale field in Sheet Sets

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
neilyj666
1929 Views, 11 Replies

Plot Scale field in Sheet Sets

Trying to set up SSM with template that fills in Scale of drawing but having a problem...

I've used a field which is populated by PlotScale but what I really want is the viewport scale.

My templates are in paper space at 1:1 so this is what the PlotScale field always inserts (correctly), I changed the plot Scale and the field changed accordingly.

Can the viewport scale be used in a field or does it need to be input manually as a Custom Sheet property on a per sheet basis OR am I missing something fundamental with the PlotScale field??

Thanks

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
gccdaemon
in reply to: neilyj666

I use a sheet set custom per sheet property. I set a default scale of say 1" = 20' so that I don't have to fuss with sheets that are "standard" scale. If you want to link it to a viewport, you'll have to link it to the object it's self, and you'd have to do that per sheet (somewhat of a hassle).

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: gccdaemon

Ideally, SSM expects you to create your viewports by inserting saved views that have a SSM view label  attached to them (see SSM Best practices 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Setting-up-template-for-use-with-Sheet-Set-Manager/m-...)

and if you wanted to adjust the view scale SSM would expect you to remove the vport and drag and drop a new one in with the new scale.

If you don't wish to use this feature of SSM (although I would encourage you to read up on it) you could create a vport then add an object field connected to its scale, wblock it to your standard folder or where ever, and insert this into new drawings instead of creating new Mviews. That field will come along for the ride and adjust dynamically.  

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the replies - just need to find a few spare hours to go through the SSM information I now have....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Take my word for it - you'll need more than a few hours. My advice take it slow and add a few trick as you go

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
stacy.dunn

Another option is to use a field that is tied to the viewports custom scale property.  To access this create a field and then select the viewport using the object category.  You can then select Custom scale from the property list.  You will have to select no formatting options and then use this value in another formula.  You will end up with a field that looks like this in the editor.

%<\AcExpr (1/%<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId -2050520>%).CustomScale \f "%lu2%qf2816">%) \f "%lu2%pr0">%

Stacy Dunn
Message 7 of 12
neilyj666

Another option is to use a field that is tied to the viewports custom scale property.  To access this create a field and then select the viewport using the object category.  You can then select Custom scale from the property list.  You will have to select no formatting options and then use this value in another formula.  You will end up with a field that looks like this in the editor.

%<\AcExpr (1/%<\AcObjProp Object(%<\_ObjId -2050520>%).CustomScale \f "%lu2%qf2816">%) \f "%lu2%pr0">%

Thanks for this - I tried this and selected the Use Scale Name option which generated a field code as below:

%<\AcObjProp.16.2 Object(%<\_ObjId 8796087383536>%,1).CustomScale \f "%sn">%

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
neilyj666

Nearly there with SSM and fields BUT when I printed out a test there are little lines in the unused Revision Fields - how do I get rid of these ??

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
BrianHailey

That is what is displayed when the property in your sheet set is blank. Putting a space in the property won't work because it will still think it's blank.

To avoid this, put a "non-breaking space" in there. Select the property, hold down the alt key, type 255 and then release the alt key.

I'm going off memory here so I may have the code wrong but that's the idea.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 12
stacy.dunn

You can also hold CRTL+Shift+Space for a non-breaking space.

Stacy Dunn
Message 11 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: stacy.dunn

Thanks - I'll try that

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
neilyj666

The Alt 255 trick worked fine but now I have run into another issue.

I have created a sheet set and all the fiields are working well and plotting individual sheets is fine too.

I have a field for page size which displays the correct page size when individual sheets are plotted but when I publish the sheet set the page size field remains at the first sheet published for all remaining sheets (i.e. A1 is first sheet, subsequent sizes e.g. A2, A0, A3 still show A1 in size field).

I have published to pdf and the sheet size is definitely different for each sheet as it is shown in the pdf reader but the field is incorrect

Any ideas would be welcome

Thanks

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report