Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label pipe invert in plan view

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
6835 Views, 10 Replies

Label pipe invert in plan view

Hello I am wondering if it is possible to label the invert of a pipe in plan view at a point that is not the start or end of the pipe. For example I have a stretch of sewer line where some other utilities cross. I would like to label the invert/top of pipe/bottom of pipe at these locations but I can't seem to find a straightforward way to do it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

There are a number of tricks.

You can insert a null stc at the point of interest but you will get two
pipes on either side and this may mess up other pipe labels.

Place a new non plotting network over the good one. Show the labels you
need.

Go to a 3d view & use the center snap to draw a line, 3dpoly or feature line
from start center of pipe to end center of pipe. Trim this object where you
need the label & label the line with a label that looks like you pipe label
(whoa that's a lot of labels). You will need a label expression to drop from
center to invert or move the line down 1/2 I.D using ortho in 3d view.

If you know the elv in question, place a point with a label to match the
pipe label.

John

wrote in message news:6233506@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello I am wondering if it is possible to label the invert of a pipe in plan
view at a point that is not the start or end of the pipe. For example I
have a stretch of sewer line where some other utilities cross. I would
like to label the invert/top of pipe/bottom of pipe at these locations but I
can't seem to find a straightforward way to do it. Anyone have any
suggestions?

Thanks
Message 3 of 11
castled071049

There is an easy way to label a pipe invert in plan view at any point along a pipe run. It first requires two things that you should have anyway: 1) a defined alignment that the pipes reference, and 2) a profile view with the pipes adjusted to their correct elevation and slope. Then create a Profile by Layout (called, say, "FL Run A") using tangents drawn along the invert of the pipe run in the profile view. (BTW, this last step is necessry to correctly label inverts in your band elevations, so you might already have this part completed.)
Now you need a plan view label to show the pipe invert at any particular location. Ours has two Reference Text entities: the first is an alignment reference and the second is a profile reference. For the alignment reference text, in the label text under the Layout Tab, select the <Station> value. For the profile reference text, select the <Profile elevation> value. (You can, of course, precede these two values with text like "STA." and "FL=", for example). Advisible, too, would be to include the <Alignment Name> value in the label somewhere.
The label works in plan view by asking you first to select an alignment, which can be done by physically clicking on the alignment that references the pipe run, or right-clicking and selecting it from a list. It next asks you so select a point on the alignment, which can be done using any normal Autocad technique, like Osnaps. The label will then sprout forth with the station of the pipe run from the referenced alignment and the spot elevation of the pipe invert taken from the Profile by Layout you created earlier. (i.e. "FL Run A"). The label is dynamic in that if you move it to a different location, the station and pipe invert update instantly. Also, if you change the elevation of the pipe, as long as you adjust the Profile by Layout at the same time, the invert elevation will adjust dynamically, too. (Remember that the label value does not know what elevation the pipe is at; rather, it gets its flowline information from the "FL Run A" profile that you created earlier. You must adjust this to reflect vertical changes in pipe elevation. For this reason we use a No Plot layer for the Profile by Layout but leave it visible in the profile view. This reminds us visually to adjust the profile during vertical revisions to the pipe.)
Any horizontal changes to the alignment or the pipe run will NOT move the label dynamically. You will have to drag it manually to its relevant location. However, as noted above, the stations and invert elevations will dynamically update with any change in the label's location in plan view.

Edited by: castled071049 on Aug 9, 2009 11:35 AM

Edited by: castled071049 on Aug 9, 2009 11:44 AM Edited by: castled071049 on Aug 9, 2009 11:46 AM
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for the tips guys - Think i'm going to go with castle's solution.
Message 5 of 11
rharries

How do you create a plan label that references the the profile elevation? I have looked at the options available in the "ADD LABELS", but find no way to reference both the alignment and profile view in the layout for pipe networks or profile views. i must be looking in the wrong place. please help.
Message 6 of 11
rharries

How do you create a plan label that references the the profile elevation? I have looked at the options available in the "ADD LABELS", but find no way to reference both the alignment and profile view in the layout for pipe networks or profile views. i must be looking in the wrong place. please help.
Message 7 of 11
castled071049

I just re-read my response and saw that I missed a step when applying the label to your plan view pipe run. The step will be self-evident, but I will mention it here for clarity. First, you select the alignment, second you select the point on the alignment to label (probably a crossing with another utility), and thirdly, you will be asked to select the profile from which it will derive the elevation of the pipe at the station you selected in step two. You can click directly on the profile itself (FL Run A, in this example), or right-click and select it from a list. THEN the label will blossom forth in all its glory. The label command will stay in effect, allowing you to select other points along the same alignment, using the same profile.
Note that you can double-up the alignment/profile reference text configuration in one label and, providing you have an alignment and profile by layout for it, you can call out the station and elevation of the crossing pipe as well.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Perhaps this will get you heading in the right direction.

Bill

wrote in message
news:6234653@discussion.autodesk.com...
How do you create a plan label that references the the profile elevation? I
have looked at the options available in the "ADD LABELS", but find no way to
reference both the alignment and profile view in the layout for pipe
networks or profile views. i must be looking in the wrong place. please
help.
Message 9 of 11
rharries

Thanks Bill,
I created an alignment label style in the Station Offset Label Type group The style includes only reference text oblects for the alignment name and profile view elevation. I still must be missing something. What type of FEATURE (top pull down in ADD LABELS dialogue box) do you select when creating your label?

Is there any possibility you could send a dwg with a profile referenced label that i could use as an example.

Thanks agian.
Rob Harries
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Rob,
The Reference Text objects allowed for StationOffset labels include
"Alignment, Surface, CogoPoint, Parcel, Profile". If you aren't seeing these
options, then you are not selecting to add the Reference Text component as
Bill's red arrow was pointing to.

The first time I did this, it took me a few attempts before I saw that I
just wasn't looking in the right place. So, keep looking, it is there. 🙂

Jeff

"rharries" wrote in message news:6235183@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Thanks Bill,
> I created an alignment label style in the Station Offset Label Type group
> The style includes only reference text oblects for the alignment name and
> profile view elevation. I still must be missing something. What type of
> FEATURE (top pull down in ADD LABELS dialogue box) do you select when
> creating your label?
>
> Is there any possibility you could send a dwg with a profile referenced
> label that i could use as an example.
>
> Thanks agian.
> Rob Harries
Message 11 of 11
rharries

Thanks all for your assistance (and patience). The labels were being placed on a frozen layer. DOH!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report