Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geforce GTX 275 and OPENGL C3D 2010

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ActiveEarth
857 Views, 6 Replies

Geforce GTX 275 and OPENGL C3D 2010

We have two machines with Geforce 275 Cards that support opengl. We are running C3D2010. What can we do do enable to opengl here. We are running windows 7, 4 gig ram, quad core 6600. All the driver and other updates have been done. I have high and low over the net with no luck. I cant find the ini or cfg file that determines the option of opengl or d3d. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dperde
in reply to: ActiveEarth

Did you type 3dconfig and manual tuned the hardware settings?

Message 3 of 7

on the command line try "3dconfig"

Then select manual tune button. At the top, the pull down which you can use direct 3d or Autodesk(which from memory is OpenGL).

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 7

Thanks. I wasn't aware that the "Autodesk" setting was in fact Opengl. Can anyone confirm this? I would have expected the performance to much better 

Message 5 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: ActiveEarth

To the best of my knowledge, the "Autodesk" driver is also DirectX.  I'm not too up on the graphics, but to my understanding, the difference is that the "Direct3D" driver uses fixed-function piplines, while the "Autodesk" driver uses the newer shader pipelines.  The fixed-function pipelines had all shading effects hard-coded, while the newer shader pipeline allows for custom shading effects, yielding greater possibilities for graphics effects.

I do not know how to use OpenGL with C3D/Win7.  If it's possible, I'm not sure how you do it.  As you might expect, Microsoft has really be trying to minimize OpenGL in favor of their own DirectX.

Autodesk claims that, the first time you launch Autocad after installation, it will analyze your hardware, and automatically choose the driver that works best on your hardware.  I haven't done any testing myself to see if this feature works as-advertised or not, though.

Sinc
Message 6 of 7
Sinc
in reply to: Sinc

...and now I notice that in C3D 2011, it looks like the "Direct3D" mode is no longer available, and the only choice is "Autodesk" (unless you have a Quadro FX and the performance drivers installed).

So it looks like, if you have an older graphics card that doesn't support the shader pipeline very well and runs better with the "Direct3D" driver in C3D 2010, you may want to look at replacing that card for C3D 2011.

Sinc
Message 7 of 7
ActiveEarth
in reply to: Sinc

Does anyone know where the xml file that contains the approved hardware list exists? This is the same file that updates under the config window. The name of the file comes up when you update but I forgot what it is. My bet is if you edit that file the add your particular video card you'll get the functionality back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report