Have fresh install of AutoCAD C3D with all the current updates. Window XP pro service pack 3, plenty of memory for "normal" sized 5-10MB dwg files. Drawing has water, sewer, electrical system objects with object data, a few xrefs, and 25 or so high res aerial images.
Drawing after basemapping completed was about 6-8mbs, slowly grown to 12, then 16, then 20, now at about 26mbs.
This dwg should be no bigger than about 10-12mbs.
As the file size increased over that last 6 months, the crashes became more frequent - fatal with program locked up. I have tried all the usual stuff to elimanate fat or corrupted files - WBlock, Recover, Audit, -Purge>R, but with no positive effect whatsoever. File size does not decrease. I WBlock a single polyline out, but that file is 26MB! Ran the same on it - no effect, no problem found. I will send the attachment if needed.
Upgrading is not in the picture for now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Might have a fix. Made new blank drawing. Inserted and exploded the problematic 28mb(and growing) drawing, saved the new file and checked the size. 2mbs! Everything seems to be there, including images and object data. I will be working with the new file to see if I have other errors or if the file starts growing again. I would still like to know what was hogging the memory
I believe that 2009 was the version which had a strange issue with the GeographicLocation somehow getting corrupted. If you change this to be nothing, or possibly even just reset it to a new one it would clear up the mysteriously growing files.
Thanks for the reply Jeff. It looks like the GeographicLocation tool is used to identify a point in Geographic coordinates? what do you mean when you suggest to zero it out? How can I check to see if my problem is due to the GL tool?
My 28mg(and growing) file is now only 2.5 megs. I suspect that I have dozens of "inflated" drawings that I will need to fix. Insert into new drawing seemed to work well. Is that the fix to use or is there another way?
If there has been a GeoLocation set then when you issue the Geographiclocation command it will ask to redefine it, edit it, or remove it. Choose to remove it. This data is stored in an internal Dictionary that bloats itself when corrupted, by remove the GeoLocation it also removes that Dictionary entry in it's entirety. Rest the dwg's coodinate system using the C3D drawing settings.
I wrote a lisp at one time to force the removal of the dictionary, but this way is a bit cleaner.
Try it on th einflated drawing. If this doesn't work, you can send me the drawing, or post it to a dropbox folder, and I will take a look to see what I can do to fix it.
Jeff, the reset worked one one drawing to take it from 12mb down to 2mb. However, I am crashing ACAD with fatal errors when trying to open the corrupt drawings that are 18-28 mbs. I have already recovered the info from the 28mb drawing. I will try rebooting and recovering the big one and try it again. At any rate, I am able to work on the project again, and know several fixes to the problem. Thank you for the help, I never would have found the GeoLoc bug thing. so I considered it "solved". Kudos!