Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2012 Slow Toolspace Prospector/Settings items

52 REPLIES 52
SOLVED
Message 1 of 53
Jeff_M
4352 Views, 52 Replies

C3D 2012 Slow Toolspace Prospector/Settings items

In the same vein as this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/C3D-2012-Figure-Style-Slow-to-Respond/m-p/3005214#M15..., I have run into the same slow response when selecting the Parcels in a Site in Prospector.

I first noticed this in my own drawing containing 4 sites, 3 of which have 1 - 6 Parcels, and the other has 170 or so Parcels. When I selected the word "Parcels" in the large Site, C3D went into a limbo state for approx. 7 minutes. I received a phone call just after I figured out it was not going to let me do anything so I just let it sit. I did open Task Manager and saw that acad.exe was consuming 100% of one of the cores. Much to my surprise, during said phone call, I watched C3D come back to life and the Graph View showing the parcels at the bottom of Prospector filled. As soon as I clicked the word Parcels again it again went into that limbo state. I can click any other branch in a Site without a problem, but clicking on Parcels will 'freeze' C3D everytime.

I can duplicate this in any one of the Parcel* tutorial drawings as well.

Then I tested with another C3D Profile and it has no problems selecting Parcels. So I switched Profiles using Options to my usual profile. Selected Parcels, this time it did 'hang' but only for a few moments. Clicked another SIte, clicked Parcels, hung for 2 minutes or so.

So it looks like I've narrowed it down to being Profile specific, but I'm not sure what I could have changed in the 'bad' one to make it 'bad', as I just created it last week from a copy of the 'good' one.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Tags (1)
52 REPLIES 52
Message 2 of 53
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

OK, it's not profile dependent. I was just using the good profile to edit the all the Parcel Area Label Styles used. This worked fine, the I also changed the Parcel Style used by these parcels, still fine...at least until it was done then it did the freeze for about 2 minutes.

EESignature
Message 3 of 53
SethHall

Hi Jeff-

You mentioned that you can reproduce in a Parcels tutorial drawing. I opened up Parcel-2C.dwg but have yet to get it to freeze up. Could you tell me what I need to do to reproduce?

Thanks!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 4 of 53
Jeff_M
in reply to: SethHall

Hi Seth,

All I need do is open the drawing, expand the Sites, expand the Site, click on Parcels. 

And I have no doubt that you won't see the problem, as I did not when I used the OOTB profile (until this morning, that is). I don't know what is triggering it, but I have now had it happen in 3 different drawings using 2 different Autocad profiles. It's like it goes into somekind of near-infinite loop when filling the DataGridView in Prospector.

One other note...it is not a real 'lock or freeze up', as all of the mouse clcks I make while it is in limbo are remembered and executed as soon as C3D returns from wherever it goes. (Click click for crossing window in the editor, click elswhere in Prospector, click the minimize and/or close windows buttons)

EESignature
Message 5 of 53
Jeff_M

Update....It happened again tonight. I let it go for 35 minutes before I started hitting keys and clicking around. I finally hit the right combination and C3D was immediately responsive. After some more testing, I still don't know WHY it's happening, but I now know how to bring it back to life.....simply hitting the CTRL key when C3D goes into that limbo state brings it back.

EESignature
Message 6 of 53
stupidnguyen

Hi All

So, I have the same problem like you. The toolspace in civil 3d 2012 seem very very heavy. When I click into the toolspace/prospecter/pipe network/network/thoatnuocmua/pipe... at the file follow the link bolow. So, my desk seem hang over 30' or more. I have to turn on the task manager to check it. So it cost 50 to 80% CPU, 3Gb Ram. My computer is Core i3 (4CPU2.93 - 6Gb Ram). Does the Civil 3D 2012 has problem. The same file in civil 3D 2012 is not slow like that.

The link file

http://www.mediafire.com/?dscmy95o0ua6z80

Please help me!

stupidnguyen@gmail.com

Message 7 of 53
Jeff_M
in reply to: stupidnguyen

Did you press the CTRL key as mentioned? This solves it everytime for me.

EESignature
Message 8 of 53
stupidnguyen

Great! I have done it! It's ok!

Thank you very much!

Message 9 of 53
Hidden_Brain

Jeff,

i have to try your CTRL key trick first thing tuesday morning! i am currently building a network with about 60+ pipes and near about same number structures, and every time i expand network, expand my network and click on pipe, it literally freezes for a good 10 mins before a list of my pipes appear in the table view at the bottom of prospector! very annoying. i will keep everyone posted.

Message 10 of 53
klugb
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Has this been submitted to Autodesk? I can repeat it easily with the tutorial drawings and surface style changes from the prospector.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 11 of 53
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: klugb

i tested Jeff's CTRL trick with my pipes drawing this afternoon. sad to say, it does not help. the Win7 message saying CAD is not responding and what i want to do pops up. my drawing is on the network, and i am curious to try it from my local drive to see what happens. will post back tomorrow.

Message 12 of 53
stupidnguyen

You must to press and hold CTRL up to your drawing solve, it have cost about 30'' to 1'.

One thing i sure. It cost less time than normally

Message 13 of 53
stupidnguyen

One think you should have done is install VBA fo autocad 2012. that help it running smooth and rapidly

Message 14 of 53
klugb

YoungEIT,
Are you using 64-bit or 32-bit?
I am using 64-bit Win 7 with 8GB Ram. When I do the same thing on one of our larger pipe drawing (81 structures & 80 pipes) I get a delay in the prospector but it's like 15-20 seconds before it populates/displays them at the bottom.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 15 of 53
hgohel

@YoungEIT:

We have logged defect 1394424 about the slow performance with the pipe networks that you mentioned.  It is different from most of the other issues mentioned in this thread.  Are you using C3D 2012?

@Jeff M, Bruce K, and others:

We have logged defect 1400132 regarding the slow performance with Toolspace.  If you have simple repeatable cases with tutorial drawings, please post the steps here so we can ensure that we have covered the cases.

Thank you all for your reports.  We are working on solutions for both issues.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 53
klugb
in reply to: hgohel

Himanshu,

Seth has already logged one that is repeatable with the tutorial drawings. It's under:

CaseNo:06518269- Application non responsive after editing surface styles in prospector

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 17 of 53
SethHall
in reply to: klugb

Hi Bruce-

It looks like the one I logged for you is a duplicate of the one Himanshu mentions in his post. Sorry for any confusion, and I will link your case to the number mentioned above.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 18 of 53
blt
Advocate
in reply to: SethHall

This looks like the same discussion as the thread " Civil 3D freezes randomly'.

Bryan Thorp, PLS
Civil 3D 2017 SP1
Dell OptiPlex 990 Workstation
Intel I7
16 Gig of RAM
Message 19 of 53
hgohel
in reply to: blt

@blt wrote:

This looks like the same discussion as the thread " Civil 3D freezes randomly'.

Doesn't appear to be the case - in that thread for C3D 2011, the original poster states that his issue was resolved with a graphics card driver update although the thread has since grown to cover more than the original issue.  This thread is quite specific to C3D 2012, and toolspace in particular.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 53
gould62
in reply to: hgohel

My system is doing the same thing, only with the surface menus in the prospector tab...has anyone found the culprit, have another system in the office built the same time with the same components and no problems...

Windows 7 Professional-SP 1-64 bit system

Intel Core i5-2500K cpu @ 3.3ghz

8.0 gb ram

THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick J. Gould, P.E.
Lamac Engineering, a division of Hampton, Lenzini and Renwick

Civil 3D 2018
Windows 10 Pro-64 bit system
Intel Core i7-5930K cpu @ 3.5ghz
Nvidia Quadro K2200
32.0 GB ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report