Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2009 Win 7x64 - Frequent crash when using New, Qnew and Open

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
JeffPaulsen
782 Views, 18 Replies

C3D 2009 Win 7x64 - Frequent crash when using New, Qnew and Open

We are testing Win 7 in anticipation of rolling it out to everyone in the office within the next 2-3 weeks. Our ultimate goal is to get everyone upgraded to C3D 2012 in the next 2-3 months but until then we will be using 2009.

Currently we have two test boxes being used in production and both are experiencing frequent crashes (2-6 times a day)when using the New, Qnew and Open commands. I have attached the error for reference.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions as to what may be causing it?

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

We have about 30 machines running Windows 7 64bit and C3D 2012 with no problems with New or Open commands. Do you have any addins that react to New or Open commands?

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 19
wfberry
in reply to: JeffPaulsen

I am not sure what you are using.  The Title of your thread says C3D 2009 using Windows 7 x 64.  Are you comparing using Civil 3D 2009 with Windows 7 before you install Civil 3D 2012?  

You should also give your computer specs.

Bill

Message 4 of 19
JeffPaulsen

Not sure what happened to my previous post but lets try it again.

We are having issues with C3D 2009 on Win7x64 as the title suggests. I should have reiterated that in the body of the post for clarification.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 5 of 19
JeffPaulsen

I have come to the conlusion that I am not going to find a solution to this problem. We will have to deal with it for a couple of months until we get on 2012.

These are some of things we tried:

Verified all C3D updates (Version 4) were installed.

Specifically checked the file version of the files refered to in Open Close Save Hotfix.

Verifed that the display card/driver was certified.

Installed a more recent display driver.

Tested a different video card.

Tested on multiple computers.

Had a 3rd Party reproduce the error.

Uninstalled and Reinstalled C3D from the CD instead of the deployment.

Tested again with all default settings (including paths) as a domain admin.

Reinstalled Windows and C3D and tested with default settings.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 6 of 19
Sinc

I have no idea why you might be seeing issues like this.

What sort of hardware are you using?

Have you tried running C3D on a computer not connected to your network, with all templates local?  If that works, then I would suspect the culprit is something in your network configuration, which is surprising C3D and leading to your crash.  (C3D has gotten better over the years at dealing gracefully with surprises, but it's still notorious for crashing whenever something unexpected happens.)

Sinc
Message 7 of 19
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: Sinc

HP xw4600, Core2 Duo E8400 3GHz, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

Jeff Paulsen
Message 8 of 19
Sinc

That seems like it should work OK.  More than 4GB of RAM would be desirable, but your hardware shouldn't be creating any problems.

Sinc
Message 9 of 19
jmayo-EE

Message 10 of 19
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yes I did. I followed thiis:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240697

Jeff Paulsen
Message 11 of 19
hgohel

Jeff,

Have you sent in crash reports?  It would be best if you send in reports with your email address, then open a support case and inform them that you have submitted CERs so the two can be correlated. 

One thing you can do on your end is to run Process Monitor from Microsoft is a to help diagnose what is going on with C3D when you run New etc. that leads to a crash.  It spits out a lot of information, but you can filter it and hopefully you will find something.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 19
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: Sinc

I ran some tests with and without network connection. Although the problem is not exclusively network related it is greatly increased when the drawings are on a network drive.

To test it I would open drawings, one at a time, from the "buildyourworld" folder under the "Help" folder. There are 24 drawings. I closed C3D between each test if it did not crash. I used the default profile so no C3D paths pointed to the network. I used a borrowed license for all tests.

Drawings on Network it crashed 9 of 9 tests (100%)

Drawings Local, Network Connected it crashed 1 of 9 tests (~10%)

Drawings Local, Network Disconnected it crashed 1 of 9 tests (~10%)

On a side, I tried opening the drawings from the network by selecting them all at once in the select file dialog and it did not crash in 6 tests.

Any ideas what on the network may be causing this?

Jeff Paulsen
Message 13 of 19
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: hgohel

Yes, I sent in two CER's and was working with Seth. Unfortunately 2009 is not officially supported on Win 7 so even though Seth was very helpful we did eventually come to a dead end.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 14 of 19
jmayo-EE
in reply to: hgohel

Did you try running the app as admin under win 7?

Did you try XP compatability mode?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
JeffPaulsen

My computer is getting a new ghost image. I will try those things later today or Monday.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 16 of 19
SethHall

To add to this thread... I can reproduce this issue to a certain extent. In order to experience what Jeff is writing about I needed to open around 10 drawings consecutively in order to see the issue. The first few drawings opened without issue. Not sure if the application is running out of resources or what is causing it at this point.

Thanks to all who have tried to help so far!!

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 17 of 19
JeffPaulsen

I was logged in as a domain admin for most of my previous tests but I tried running C3D as an administrator just for fun. It crashed as it did before.

We will not be testing XP mode since we do not plan on running anything in XP mode. Plus I believe that would negate all the memory advantages of running a 64-bit OS.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 18 of 19
JeffPaulsen

I just realized that I never responded to this.

It crashes when running as admin.

I did not test XP compatibility mode since we will not be using it.

Jeff Paulsen
Message 19 of 19
hgohel

Jeff, did you get a chance to run Process Monitor while running Civil 3D to monitor what is happening on the systems that are exhibiting the crashes?

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report