Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic area label

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
sjg
Advisor
18313 Views, 46 Replies

Basic area label

Asked this about a year and a half ago when we converted from Survcadd and still haven't found any solution and now that I've read 2013 is going to include line labeling capabilities by selecting 2 points rather than selecting linework. Is there going to be a way to label an area without creating a closed polyline or parcel, where it works the way a hatch works. So if I selecting in the middle of multiple individual intersecting lines, it labels the area.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
46 REPLIES 46
Message 2 of 47
machadt
in reply to: sjg

Hi Steve,

The only way to label areas in Civil 3D is using parcels and now in 2013 using survey figures as long as the area information shows under the user defined properties of the figure. 

Hope this help.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 3 of 47
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: machadt

The only way to label areas in Civil 3D is using parcels and now in 2013 using survey figures as long as the area information shows under the user defined properties of the figure. 

Hope this help.

Really? I'm not so sure about that.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 47
sjg
Advisor

Not sure why its being shown as solution, I never accepted it as a solution. What I want is lets say four individual lines create a rectangle, I want to pick in the middle of those lines and produce an area label. A label for general purposes. I don't want to create a parcel. Using the same way a hatch works, if you pick a point within intersecting lines, it creates a hatch, but instead of a hatch I want an area label.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 5 of 47
antoniovinci

sjg wrote:
Not sure why its being shown as solution

I agree, the sweet Tatiana's one is definetely NOT a solution.

A manual workaround could be:

1] _BOUNDARY by pointing inside the four lines, in order to create a temporary poly

2] _FIELD => object => area => last 

3] _ERASE last

Message 6 of 47
neilyj666

I'd use Antonio Vinci's manual method, which could perhaps be done as a lisp routine if you are literate in lisp.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 47
jmayo-EE

If you like the behaivor of hatches you can use them to get the area and then freeze/hide/don't plot them. Create the hatch and use an mtext object or table with a field to report the area.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 47
machadt
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Sorry for the confusion, I though that you were talking about a Civil 3D label not an ACAD label.

And I took care of the solution issue.

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 9 of 47
tcorey

Hi Steve,

Here's some LISP code that will do what you are looking for:

(defun AreaLabel()

(setq textht (getreal "\nEnter text height: "))   (setq p1 (getpoint "\nPick point inside area to label: "))

(while (and p1)

(command "bpoly" p1 "")     (command "area" "O" "l")     (setq ar (rtos (getvar "AREA") 2 2))     (command "text" "m" p1 textht ar)     (setq p1 (getpoint "\nPick point inside area to label: "))     )   (princ)   )

This uses the current layer for both the text label and the polyline it creates with bpoly. The current text style must have a 0 height. If you want any of those detail changed, let me know and I can fix it up for you.

Also, I made this to label in sq units, but I can change it to acres, hectares, etc. Do you want some text before or after the value, for example: Area: <<value>> sq. ft.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 10 of 47
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: tcorey

Just realized you posted a lisp file. I appreciate it. Not to familiar with Lisp, copied the text into notepad, saved it as a new lisp, ran appload, loaded fine, but not sure what command to use to activate code.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 11 of 47
dana.probert

I posted this a thread earlier today, but it might be useful here as well.

You can make a line label that shows area:

(see end of this post where I use it for silt fence)

http://civil3drocks.blogspot.com/2006/06/label-style-for-calling-out-elevation.html

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 12 of 47
wfberry
in reply to: dana.probert

Dana:

Using this same process to get the area of a closed polyline, how can one get an area label to center itself within this figure.  (Similar to a Parcel Label)

Bill

Message 13 of 47
Anonymous

What's the command to activate the lisp?

Message 14 of 47
tcorey

To run the lisp code, type (arealabel) with the parenthesis. If you're going to use it often, make a new command in your cui and assign it to a ribbon button.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 15 of 47
neilyj666

Also, I made this to label in sq units, but I can change it to acres, hectares, etc. Do you want some text before or after the value, for example: Area: <<value>> sq. ft.

Tim

Can it be modified to read Area: <<value>> sq. m. and (for future personal reference) how is this done??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 16 of 47
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I can't believe you folks are messing with a lisp and mtext or dtext and not using C3D labels as suggested. They can be made to read anything you want. They can align to the linework or view, they auto resize.

I have C3D line and curve labels for det dbasin w/ area, 2-1/2 sty dweling Unit w/ area, Deck, Pool, Patio, Terrace, Ridge, swale, berm, first floor w/ elv, garage floor w/ elv, drop curb, perimeter, time of conc, sheet flow, SC flow, gutter flow, limit of grading, slopes, steps, to name a few...

Make a label style and you won't have to type or create the text strings. When the design changes you don't have to recalc, retype/recreate or realign.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 47
antoniovinci

johnm wrote:

I can't believe you folks are messing with a lisp and mtext or dtext

I think you didn't read the very first OP post...

He wants "a way to label an area without creating a closed polyline or parcel".

To do that, you can use a manual method (like mine) or an automated one (like Tcorey's), period.

I would be glad if you could us prove HOW is doable with C3D labels, sir.

Message 18 of 47
jmayo-EE
in reply to: antoniovinci

😮

True, very true. You are absolutley correct Antonio, but I didn't respond to the OP. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 19 of 47
jmayo-EE

...and call me crazy but an area requires a boundary, at least mathmatically. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 20 of 47
antoniovinci

In my manual way (here again) if you don't perform the #3 point, the area field will change automatically, on changing the boundary geometry, e.g. by means of grips.

To update the field value, please issue a _REGEN 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report