Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Solids and QTO

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
842 Views, 7 Replies

AutoCAD Solids and QTO

Has anyone been able to calculate AutoCAD solids as volumes using the QTO functionality within Civil3D?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

Solid like 2d solid or solid object? what are the properties of a solid object?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Solid like a 3D solid object... I'm talking about volumes here.

A concrete structure is modeled as a 3D solid in AutoCAD and I would like to assign a cubic yard pay item to it.... but all I seem to be able to do is to count the number of items.

Message 4 of 8
Joe-Bouza

I think QTO only picks up 2d objects and you will have to write a formula for other objects. Even the corridor is based on 2d shapes time a distance

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

yeah, that's what I figured.  But I can't write formulas for these objects, they are all different...

Thanks anyways.  If any ody comes up with something else, please reply!

Message 6 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Doesn't autocad report the volume of a solid somewhere? properties... maybe.... no? If you list a solid what does it tell you?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/autocad/tutorials/select/092303_parsai_mass_properties.htm

google is our friend Smiley Wink

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

That got me thinking. I checked to see if those object properties were available to be inserted in a text field. They are not. I think that is a defect. I of the use the area of regions to calculate things like impervious area and insert a field in a table to display and be used for later calculations. Having the Mass Properties available that way would make things easier for people who need to deal with them.

Allen

Ah. If you convert the solid to a MassElement (select solid, rt-click, Convert to > Mass Element) you can then include the volume of the mass element in a text Field.

Also you can then explode the MassElement twice and end up with 3D Faces that can be included in a C3D Surface.

ASJ

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report