Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alignment schematic

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jbear0000
1283 Views, 2 Replies

Alignment schematic

The gas company we are working for requires us to create a schematic of the pipeline we are showing in the plan view. As you can see in the attached image there are several PI's on the alignment. Below the plan view there is a straight line schematic of the alignment with symbols at the PI locations and on the lines between the PI locations.

There is nothing built into Civil 3D to create something like this so I had to use profiles in a way that you wouldn't normally use them. I start with creating a large flat surface that the alignment is inside of. Then I create a profile of the alignment and a profile view. The profile is completly flat and the profile view doesn't plot. I use a horizontal band style to mark the PI locations on the profile view. Then I create another profile which is drawn from PI to PI and to other features that need to be identified. The PVI locations match the locations of the PI locations and the labels are generated for the PI and the line labels. The downside is that the angle and the 22 in the circle below the line must be done manually.

I tried using a horizontal band style to label the angle, but the downside with a band is that the labels often overlap and need to be moved around a little and the 22 circle still needs to be done manually since expersions can't be used in band styles. If any changes are made to the alignment all of the band labels reset.

So my question to you is, can you think of a better way to do this? The horizontal angle and station must be shown. The 28 circle is always there so it is simply a block in the label style. The 22 circle could vary based on the pipe size and the angle of the bend.

I will also attach the template file which contains an example so you can try it out and see how it works.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
machadt
in reply to: jbear0000

Hi Jason,

Could you please let me know which version of civil 3D are you working with?

Tatiana Machado
AEC-ENI Application Engineer
Message 3 of 3
jbear0000
in reply to: machadt

I am using Civil 3D 2012, SP 1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report