Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Civil 3d Memory Leak!!!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Colorado.obe
3441 Views, 14 Replies

2013 Civil 3d Memory Leak!!!

I have been experiencing problems in 2012 and 2013 civil 3d the Free memory on my machine just disappears after a while and autocad locks to the point you have to cold boot your machine!

I first started to experience this with 2012 and went as far as reimaging the machine and installing 2013 instead. This did not solve the issue.

I am running a Dell T5500 with  DUAL intel xeon cpu e5607 @ 2.27GHz - 12GB Ram on windows 7 and I have 18GB of virtual memory. We have tried everything to figure out where the Ram is going and no solution! It only happens when autocad is run!

Thanks!!!!

David Oberosler

Dell T7500
DUAL Intel Xeon X5660 @ 2.80GHz
32GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro 5000
Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2013 SP.1 / Windows 7-64bit
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

You have resources in your Reseller and Autodesk.  Since your reseller may be more familiar with your particular setup, I'd check with them first.  Many resellers have excellent IT staff to help their customers.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 15

I have tried the reseller and they keep giving me a B.S. solution..... I.E. reimage and reload the computer. Its the drawings they is causing the issue, its the network connectivity. Which all have been checked into or done and nothing solves the issue with the memory going bye bye. We have even run Memory and hard drive checks and everything is good!!!!!!
Just want an answer and tired of the same reading for the script answers!!!! 

David Oberosler

Dell T7500
32GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 4 of 15
gccdaemon
in reply to: Colorado.obe

I think it's got something to do with the way Civil 3D uses the embeded database in the DWG file. I don't seem to have the issues with basic AutoCAD. It's definately the Civil 3D add-on.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 5 of 15
witzel

We had an issue with the Autodesk 360.  When we signed in it would balloon memory until crash.  There is a hotfix, although we didn't bother and just don't use 360 until the service pack comes out.

Hope that helps.

Conan Witzel

Message 6 of 15
dgorsman

Stupid question time: is any of your software actual *using* both CPUs on the motherboard?  Civil3D is certainly not...

And another stupid question: are you doing anything to control the annotation scale list?

Now, for some not-so-nice answers: the "script answers" that are used (e.g. re-install) are done so because they usually work the fastest.  Many users don't want to hear it but more often than not it removes a variety of PEBKAC induced problems that may or may not be known or admitted to.

Finally, there simply may not be an answer to your specific problem.  Sometimes it works out that way.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 15
Cadguru42

@Colorado.obe wrote:

I have been experiencing problems in 2012 and 2013 civil 3d the Free memory on my machine just disappears after a while and autocad locks to the point you have to cold boot your machine!

I first started to experience this with 2012 and went as far as reimaging the machine and installing 2013 instead. This did not solve the issue.

@I am running a Dell T5500 with  DUAL intel xeon cpu e5607 @ 2.27GHz - 12GB Ram on windows 7 and I have 18GB of virtual memory. We have tried everything to figure out where the Ram is going and no solution! It only happens when autocad is run!

Thanks!!!!

When this happens, open up the Task Manager, click on the on the Processes tab and make sure on the bottom "Show processes from all users" is checked.  Next, click on View>Select Columns.  Check Memory - Commit Size.  Now sort the list by the Commit Size.  How much is acad.exe using?  Is it the one that is using up the majority of your memory or is something else?

There is definately something going wrong if you are running out of memory.  I have 6gb and have not ever had a problem, but then again my system drive is a SSD and my swap file is on a 10k RPM SATAIII drive.  

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 15
gccdaemon
in reply to: Cadguru42

I've seen it happen even on my machine. Especially when working in larger GIS files that had MAP imported data. It's definately a Map/Civil 3D problem. Usually if I wait for like 30 mins, it'll subside. If not, then i shut it down in the task manager. I also, as a preventitive measure, open larger files in a seperate CAD instance.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 9 of 15
jalneal

We have had this happen numerous times with files in 2012 and 2013.  The common culprit for us has ALWAYS been that someone was using grading objects.  I think the safest policy is to teach how to use corridors instead of grading objects, and where you have the real need for a grading object, use one of the methods out there to delete the grading object before you close the drawing.  

We have Dual Core Xeon systems with QUadro 600 or Quadro 2000 cards with 8-12G ram.  We can not tell which task is creating the leak because with a process manager open, the memory jump is so fast it freezes the machine before the manager reports it. It is not frozen by the process, but by the memory allocation - to the point the cursor freezes as well. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Neal, P.E.
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite Premium 2012/2013
Windows 7, x64
Xeon E31225 w/ Quadro 600
Message 10 of 15
ajfernandes
in reply to: jalneal

Has there been any update or solution for this?

I am using Autocad Civil 3d 2013 and it will peak to about 7.8 out of 8 gigs of ram and then back down.

It stalls the whole computer until it is done doing whatever it was.

Message 11 of 15
Colorado.obe
in reply to: ajfernandes

I havent heard of any solutions for this! since I posted this I up graded my computer to a Dell t7500  x5560@ 2.80 ghz (2 processors). It doesnt bog down as much with this machine but still has a huge memory leak! I can have up to 15 gig of ram missing at a time unless I reboot. Hope autodesk figures it out soon!

David Oberosler

Dell T7500
32GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro 5000
Message 12 of 15
gccdaemon

It's not grading objects, because i don't use those and i still get the problem. I think it's the logic structure autocad uses. It's also a reason why it's not multi-core capable.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 13 of 15
rhdins

I'm having the same problem.  I've noticed a significant increase in memory usage when I plot.  Plotting takes a long time too, even to plot a very simple sheet.  Something with only linework, like a profile.

This is my memory usage after plotting a couple of times.  You can see how it creeps up while plotting, and stays at that level after the plot is done.

Memory 1.png

This is after closing C3D 2013.

Memory 2.png

Message 14 of 15
dasindog
in reply to: rhdins

So many things to consider! I have not have this problem and I work with relatively large files that contain any number of grading objects, corridors, surfaces, pipe networks. 

I can't say with any certainty why you would have a memory usage spike that would cause you to cold reboot but what are you doing with virtual memory? Do you have it set to a static value or do you let windows manage?

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 15 of 15
vweaver

AutoCAD 2012

Intel Xeon 3.07 GHz 64bit Windows 7

NVidia Quadro 2000

6GB

I am having similar issues.  The average size file I work with is about 250KB.  When I close a file out, AutoCAD seems to 'hold onto' that memory amount, and keeps progressing in size until the computer starts to lose responsiveness.  I only have to close and reload AutoCAD to fix- I don't have to reboot the computer- but that's still a pain to have to do, not to mention the increasing loss of responsiveness as it builds.  

Just to note, not that it likely matters in the WHY this is happening, but I use 2 AutoCAD windows simultaneously on a dual-monitor system, sometimes with as many as 4 or so 250KB files open at the same time.  Usually when the Task Manager shows each AutoCAD at about 400,000KB is when I start having significant loss of responsiveness.  I will have a couple of other windows open also (maybe Chrome, Media Player, Excel) but the amount of windows I am using doesn't approach my 6GB of memory except for the excess memory AutoCAD is holding onto.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report