Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronizing References

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AKSBrettHartley
1308 Views, 6 Replies

Synchronizing References

Syncronizing refrences whn opening a file is so slow sometimes.  I know this is an over-simplified request, but it would be nice if there was a way to speed this up. 

I have a project that has two pipe networks and two surfaces shortcuts in the base map.  The base map is referenced in my sheet drawings.  Each sheet drawing takes at least a minutes to open. because of the synchonization.  If I have 30 sheets, thats 3o minutes wasted just opening sheets the first time, not taking into account making changes to the base drawing after the sheets are open.

Thank you for your time.

Rand Waltz

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
el_nath
in reply to: AKSBrettHartley

When you make performance comments like this, it is important to state what version you are using.  According to AUGIWorld...

"The new 64-bit release [2013] noticeably outperformed the 2012 release on the same machine with the same data everywhere. AutoCAD Civil 2013 is, in a word, “brisker.” After you’re all set up, you will notice the shorter load time. You’ll have to find another time to take that trip to the coffee pot. Release 2013 makes it harder to find time for those little breaks during the day.  Civil 3D projects often have lots of interconnected drawings and Civil 3D features. That’s what a managed Dynamic Model is all about. You’ll notice that loads of Data Shortcuts and opens of any connected drawings will be faster. They sort of pop up all in a rush on drawing open instead of trickling in like they often do in Releases 2010 through 2012."

I am still using 2012-64bit, however, I'm looking forward to seeing the performance improvements in 2013.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 3 of 7
AKSBrettHartley
in reply to: el_nath

Good point; I should have noted that.  It's just that I was trying to get plans out the door.  I figured while I was waiting for my drawings to load I would post this, as it was very frustrating. 

I looked up other posts and found no solution.

I'm using C3D 2012 with current service packs, Windows 7-64 bit, on a HP Elitebook 8760w (i7 2620, 8G ram, and a Quadro 3000m).

As for 2013, we've just got most of our office away from LDD 2009 and we didn't want to mix things up again by updating, even though we have the "disk" in hand.

Thanks again.

Rand Waltz

Message 4 of 7
el_nath
in reply to: AKSBrettHartley

Especially for the AutoCAD verticals, it is important to keep up to date, and install the latest version when possible (don't just sit on it; your productivity will suffer as you cling to and get used to old software).  In my company there is a lag time though we are on subscription, because each version needs to be "approved" before release internally.

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 5 of 7
JamesMaeding
in reply to: el_nath

Staying up to date has nothing to do with a reliable production process. Nor should you assume the more you know c3d, the less problems you will have. A dynamic model is also a highly constrained system. That system better fit your need well or its back to a mix of objects and exploded stuff you must check. Note the lack of checking tools in c3d, as if perfection was implied. How do you catch exploded callouts?

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 6 of 7
el_nath
in reply to: JamesMaeding

You may be correct, however, In this instance of faster synchronized data references in 2013 vs 2012, staying up to date does have an impact on productivity.  My typical day involves doing a couple of edits on a corridor model (in C3D v2012) that references several alignments and surfaces, then going for a tea break or hitting the water fountain for a few minutes, while the model rebuilds.  Simply opening the drawing takes about 20 minutes.  I am using the company's latest computer, designed to handle C3D and Revit.

Note that the request was about speeding things up, not about a reliable engineering design production process (which should be software independent, not merely version independent).  One hopes that by having the latest software version, software bloat will have been addressed (and from the reviews, it seems that it has with C3D v2013).

Senior Civil Engineer
Message 7 of 7

I will say each C3D release has gotten better, the C3D team is working hard I am sure.

I think the whole idea of a dynamic model needs to be rethought though.

Data reference objects are too heavy for real production. LDT, Carlson, Inroads and many other civil programs understand that external data is lightweight. You access it when needed, and display when needed.

C3D needs the ability to let you attach drawings as data sources, then use the data by the concept of a current alignment, surface, or whatever.

The callouts would remember what data they used, and where from.

Once that kind of foundation is established, then you think about other fancy stuff. You might think that is what xref labeling is, but it is far from it. We need real API access to our design objects easily, and that access really has nothing to do with what I want xreffed.

Mixing the two is wrong, as again it makes the xref load when we just want potential access to objects.

Whatever the case, the C3D team needs to undestand production better, as the current process involves so many compromises and fragilities that its a step down from LDT. Remember, LDT users had lisp routines and things to smooth the processes, you must not compare to some company that only had LDT, and nothing else at all, almost anything would be better than that.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report