Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please allow the ENTER button to advance to Panarama Box column

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nmessina
575 Views, 4 Replies

Please allow the ENTER button to advance to Panarama Box column

Please allow the user to enter Data into the Panarama as efficiently and Land Desktop Companion was for entering Survey Data especially if your very quick with the 10 key numberic pad as surveyors are. Both in the Traverse and Sideshot entry dialog boxes in LDC every hit of the Enter button automatically moved you to the next data entry column. Then once press enter on the last column it would automatically add a new point with the next incremental point number.

In Civil 3D its much more time consuming and frankly annoying. For every Point Number, Angle, Distance and Description we must now have to manually grab your mouse and click to the next entry box.

The Civil 3D routine is now as follows:

Grab mouse, click Point Number column, go to 10 key pad type point number;
Grab mouse, click Angle column, go to 10 key pad type turned Angle number;
Grab mouse, click Distance column, go to 10 key pad type Distance measure number;
Grab mouse, clisk on Save Disk to save the data (because you can not enter a point description til it's saved).
Grab mouse, click Description column, go to keyboard type Description;
Grab mouse, right-click in Panarama select New.... (to entry new observation)
THEN REPEAT

Then for every new Point Entry we must right click in the panarama and select New.... This can be very time consuming and take twice as long to manually enter survey data in Civil 3D compaired to Land Desktop Companion.

Land Desktop routine was extremely effiecent.

Grab mouse, right-click Point Number column, go to 10 key pad ENTER point number, ENTER;
Angle ENTER;
Distance ENTER;
go to keyboard type Description ENTER (advances to next row)
point number, ENTER;
Angle ENTER;
Distance ENTER;
go to keyboard type Description ENTER
REPEAT

With Every ENTER on the 10 key pad or keyboard advances you to the next column.
Nicholas, Messina Jr., PSM
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: nmessina

I second this wish. In addition to the enter key the Tab key should move the cursor to the next column and Shift+Tab should move the cursor to the previous column. This behavior should be consistent in all C3D windows.

This may seem to be a small thing but the current behavior is a major hindrance to productivity.
Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 3 of 5
nmessina

It's been almost 3 year since my post and I'm sad to report that civil 3d 2014 still suffers the same sluggish Panorama. Autodesk please fix this issue or ditch the panorama for dialog boxes that allow for fast data entry. I do love C3D but when it comes to survey data entry land desktops sideshot and traverse editor is 5x faster and more efficient.
Message 4 of 5
nmessina

Update,

I recieved an email from Autodesk Labs today and during my lunch hour I clicked on the link and found a program called Autodesk Chornicals, which allows you to video capture and post how to videos of your Autodesk product.  I have posted two videos which demostrastes the utter fustration the surveyors in my office, including myselfs how slow and cubersome it is to manually enter conventional survey data.

These videow shows how a surveyor can enter 18 survey points 3x faster with Land Desktop 2009 than usingCivil 3D 2012. As noted in my original post having to right click and select [New] in the Panorama to create a new data enty row, then having to use your mouse button to select every point number entry box, every angle entry box, every distance box and every description box. That is 5 moves with the mouse for every point entered, that is 5 times you have to alternate your head to look at the screen, pick the entry box, then look at your field notes to enter the data.  That is why it takes 3x more time to enter Survey Data

My Chronicles

Land Desktop Companion 2009

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/7f22d257-539d-45e6-b2cd-0c0518728d16

Civil 3D 2012

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/41530ac8-9ae7-4d6f-919e-d489c9bac47e

Message 5 of 5
troma

Add me to the list too.
Requiring the use of the mouse in all dialogs and forms is a retardation in the software. This is not a small issue. This is one of the most frustrating things consistently present across the board in all parts of C3D and in all releases of it that I've used.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report