Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix slope grading

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SDcivil
555 Views, 4 Replies

Fix slope grading

to properly construct a slope, the contours must be offset perpendicular to themselves.  Feature line grading sets the contours at 10' perpendicular to the FL, and therefore results in an incorrect slope, especailly on steeper grades.  This is very wrong and something I would expect software like civil 3d to be able to handle.  This is basic.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You noted this in other discussions. Please provide an  example.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Message 3 of 5

What do your slope stakes look like? I imagine you are staking against an imaginary line and going perpendicular to it. Are your slope stakes listing 2.13:1 for 10'? or are they 2:1 for 10'? When I did construction I never saw stakes that converted the 2:1 slope to correct for the slope of the line it was grading from. I'm intersted in learning if you are expecting the contours to show one thing and for the contractor to build something different. 

I've done serveral posts on how to get grading to behave like you want, I just haven't figured out why one would want it like this.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 4 of 5
troma
in reply to: SDcivil

In the other thread that dealt with this recently many people pointed out that this is how grading is usually specified and designed in all plans and computer programs.  So this shouldn't be considered a deficiancy on the part of Autodesk.

However, I agree that that fact should be made clearer to users, and that it would be nice to have the option to grade to a "true" slope as specified (ie max 2:1 or 3:1 etc).

My suggestion on that thread was to have an option in the grading criteria to allow for this.  The switch could be called something like  "Grade at slope specified perpendicular to feature / Grade at slope specified perpendicular to generated slope."  The program could handle the calculations necessary by subtracting the vector of the slope of the feature from the specified slope to find the slope of the daylight.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 5
brianchapmandesign
in reply to: troma

Seriously...stop reposting this everywhere!   

You can easily construct a slope exactly how you want it.  If the way you are constructing isn't working, find another method.

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report