Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find objects when deleting a layer

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
johnthoreson
579 Views, 4 Replies

Find objects when deleting a layer

It would be great when I'm tyring to delete a layer and there are objects on the layer, if C3D would show me where those objects are.  Perhaps with a big red circle and cycle through model and paperspace layouts if necessary.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
troma
in reply to: johnthoreson

Is this C3D related or just Autocad?  In C3D the layer might be being used in an object style or label style, besides the posibility of being used in a block that's not in use.  So there's a few places a layer can be hiding that you won't see in the drawing.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 5
johnthoreson
in reply to: troma

This wish applies broadly to AutoCAD and specifically to C3D (where I'm spending most of my time these days).  It's precisely because there are so many different places where layers can hide that I'd like CAD to show me where they are.  

Message 4 of 5
troma

How can it show you where, when it is nowhere?  It can't put a big red circle around a block that's not inserted in the drawing!

I agree with your wish.  But for blocks and for C3D object & label styles an information dialogue box telling us where the layer is in use would be of more use.

Try this if you really want to screw up a drawing:

use the LAYDEL command to delete a layer in use in a C3D style, see how many errors your next audit shows.

or LAYDEL  the C-TOPO layer to delete all the surfaces from a drawing!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 5
johnthoreson

Your dialogue box sounds very useful!  To expand the wish, I'd like to see such a dialogue box for text styles, dimension styles, and similar items.  That would make cleaning up a drawing much easier.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report