AutoCAD Civil 3D - Stormwater

Contributor
rdbauer50
Message 11 of 14 (274 Views)

Re: total inflow and vs. catchbasin flow

01-25-2013 09:42 AM in reply to: fcernst

I agree completely. There is this elaborate program that can do all this analysis using different methods and something as seemingly simple as using a DTM. As part of my thesis several years ago, I interacted with the DTM to using information to perform TR-55 analysis before all this stuff came out, and I am NO WHERE NEAR the level of programmer that is at Autodesk. Hopefully they look at these forums and get ideas of what they need to work on for the next realease. As far as Civil 3D itself, I do not know of any other inhancements that I would need other than what they have already made...other than this interaction with the DTM in SSA. It interacts nicely in C3D to find the catchments and flow paths (wish that was there when I was in my masters!) and everything. We will see...

Rich Bauer, MS, PE, SIT, M.ASCE

Engineering Department Manager

RB & Associates Consulting, Inc.

Web site www.rb-associates.net

www.rb-associates.net
Valued Mentor
engineer4life1979
Message 12 of 14 (250 Views)

01-28-2013 03:36 PM in reply to: rdbauer50

i remember based on my testing on recent project work models that this feature does not "affect" results obtained by using the rational method as the computational method. it affects when using SCS TR-20 (and possibly TR-55) with structures (inlets).

the last time i faced this issue, i ended up using ponded area 100 sf as recommended by other folks here, and checked each structure/pipe for inflow/outflow mass balance (inflow from drainage area as CiA + bypass from upstream inlet = flow in the downstream pipe and so on). i will run some quick tests using the EPA SWMM computational engine and post back with results when i have time.

Civil 3D 2013 SP1, Win 7-64 bit
12GB RAM
Contributor
rdbauer50
Message 13 of 14 (241 Views)

01-29-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: engineer4life1979

From what I am seeing, it does make a difference as far as the Flow Depth. Attached are the 2 "tests" I did. The ONLY difference in the 2 runs is the ponded area. I am using the rational method. The funny thing is that the gutter spread stays about the same but the depth doesn't. I am going to try TR-55 and see what happens.

www.rb-associates.net
Contributor
dshklovsky
Message 14 of 14 (130 Views)

07-03-2013 11:34 AM in reply to: Wlewinski

thank you!  it works at least in one case; is 100 a magic number?  or it is a way to estimate it?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs